Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Yes, which is why I think the "tacked-on" middle section, the apparently completely compositionally independent RVW hymntune harmonization, actually does seem to me to fit . . . .

karlhenning

The true score to The Canticle of St Nicholas . . . .

karlhenning

Okay, the news is: the clarinet choir at Berklee is one-on-a-part, and the scoring is:

1 Eb sopranino
3 Bb soprano
1 Eb alto
1 Bb bass
1 Eb contralto

Of course, there's just no sopranino in the Canticle, and that's that.

Although I was thinking a more populous choir, as such . . . of course the "original" brass quintet was a one-on-a-part deal, so I think the clarinet choir version will work fine on the same terms.

In furnishing an Eb contralto part as an alternative for the Bb contrabass, there's only one note which is too low, if an older/traditional instrument is used.  Chances are, at Berklee they've got an instrument with the lower-extended range, and the one written D which is in question, is doable.

Will probably find something else of mine which will arrange well for cl choir, and include the sopranino, for Peter as a thank-you.

Cato

Quote from: Cato on July 11, 2011, 10:17:17 AM
That is interesting, since I detected a kind of modality in the opening pages.

Concerning the influence of Sibelius and open fifths/fourths: a memory came back from some years ago.

The high school where I taught for many years had an alma mater which used Finlandia as the melody! (The lyrics were dreadful.)

One of my former students went on to music school, and came back one year as a guest trumpeter to play the alma mater during a graduation Mass with the organ accompanying.

I mischievously suggested harmonizing the tune only with open fifths on the organ   :o  , which he thought was a great idea!   0:)

During the Mass, our band director, who did not know of our plot, heard this curious arrangement, looked at me, and whispered: "All right, NOW what have you done?" 

To quote Sergeant Schultz: "I know nothink!"   ;D

Probably few people noticed anything about it!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Visiting with an auld Wooster classmate. Had I been a bit more organized, I'd have brought more, but — the only disc I brought with me is of the Sine Nomine performance of the Passion.

Curiously ... I listened to this disc first thing it arrived, back when, but this is the first I've listened to it since. So much of the piece is so sumptuously executed here. A couple of passages went a bit awry, but never disastrously, and recovery was reliably swift.

karlhenning

Waiting for How to Tell to download . . . .

karlhenning

karlhenning

Now I'm back home, one priority is to burn copies of the May recital for the other composers.

In the process, will upload How to Tell for the pleasure of . . . well, if there be anyone who might take pleasure in it.

DavidW

Yup it does, thanks I'll listen this afternoon. :)

karlhenning

TheGSMoeller

Bravo, Karl!   ;D
Loved the choral piece.
Thanks for posting.

chasmaniac

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Lethevich

Ahh, real recordings are so much better than MIDI :)

Are you going to use that soundcloud account to collect all of your previous recordings as well? It would be neat to have them all in one permanent location.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 23, 2011, 07:46:10 AM
Ahh, real recordings are so much better than MIDI :)

Thou speakest sooth!

Quote from: LetheAre you going to use that soundcloud account to collect all of your previous recordings as well? It would be neat to have them all in one permanent location.

Just may;  the free account permits two hours' worth . . . so I may just pony up for a subscription.

karlhenning

This has been The Weekend of Pleasant Surprises.  Dana rang me whilst I was making my evening circuit of the pond on Saturday.  He's getting married in a few scant weeks, so he's rather preoccupied, but he called to say that he (and his pianist, Carolyn Ray) are keen to arrange to bring The World's Worst Viola Sonata (not how he put it, somehow) to Boston.  Watch This Space.

Out of the blue, e-mail came from a French pianist I knew at Buffalo (we played the Hindemith sonata together on his chamber recital).  I've tried from time to time to make contact with Claude over the years, but nothing ever came of it.  Delighted that he's reached out!  He's teaching in a school in Paris, and in a ballet class they want to do a suite from Prokofiev's R&J (about 25 minutes' worth), and Claude asked me if I'd be game to arrange those numbers for a mixed quartet, including piano.  Curious to find out which numbers they want arranged!  And the best part is, it would not be volunteer work.

Our man in Atlanta has been busy with other tasks, but I've got his ear again, and the clarinet choir version of The Canticle of St Nicholas should be on-line sometime this week.  Possibly the Lost Waters, too;  I've recently made the acquaintance of a young harpist here in Boston who is keen on new music.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 25, 2011, 05:07:55 AM
This has been The Weekend of Pleasant Surprises.  Dana rang me whilst I was making my evening circuit of the pond on Saturday.  He's getting married in a few scant weeks, so he's rather preoccupied, but he called to say that he (and his pianist, Carolyn Ray) are keen to arrange to bring The World's Worst Viola Sonata (not how he put it, somehow) to Boston.  Watch This Space.

Out of the blue, e-mail came from a French pianist I knew at Buffalo (we played the Hindemith sonata together on his chamber recital).  I've tried from time to time to make contact with Claude over the years, but nothing ever came of it.  Delighted that he's reached out!  He's teaching in a school in Paris, and in a ballet class they want to do a suite from Prokofiev's R&J (about 25 minutes' worth), and Claude asked me if I'd be game to arrange those numbers for a mixed quartet, including piano.  Curious to find out which numbers they want arranged!  And the best part is, it would not be volunteer work.

Our man in Atlanta has been busy with other tasks, but I've got his ear again, and the clarinet choir version of The Canticle of St Nicholas should be on-line sometime this week.  Possibly the Lost Waters, too;  I've recently made the acquaintance of a young harpist here in Boston who is keen on new music.

Sounds like a good weekend, Karl  ;D

karlhenning

TheGSMoeller

karlhenning