Forum members who have actually met face-to-face

Started by Ugh!, September 26, 2008, 12:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 24, 2009, 06:17:14 AM
It would be the most appropriate, in that sense.

Or.....how about a "Mecca" of classical music, like Bonn, Salzburg, or Vienna?  0:)

Bonn is nice, I've been there. We could all go to the Beethovenhaus and pay our respects to Schumann (both Robert and Clara), Beethoven's and Schopenhauer's respective mothers and Mathilde Wesendonck (Wagner's Muse), who all lie buried in the Old Cemetery...

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 24, 2009, 02:06:56 PM
Why not stage the Convention in Iceland?

Advantages:
Iceland is roughly equidistant for members travelling from the USA and from Europe.

The country desperately needs an influx of foreign visitors given its recent disastrous financial collapse.

Its police force has recent experience of dealing with riots.....and given the membership of GMG and its disputatious nature they might be needed to deal with the possiblity of fights breaking out ;D

You have thought of everything.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on May 23, 2009, 10:31:50 AM
. . . I was also intrigued to hear about a 25 minute piece of Karl Henning's specially composed for Brett's wedding.

I can send you a score, if you like, Herman.

Gabriel

Advantages:
Iceland is roughly equidistant for members travelling from the USA and from Europe.

The country desperately needs an influx of foreign visitors given its recent disastrous financial collapse.

Its police force has recent experience of dealing with riots.....and given the membership of GMG and its disputatious nature they might be needed to deal with the possiblity of fights breaking out ;D

And for adding even more "atmosphere" to the meeting, we choose a certain date near a solstice. ;)

Brian

Advantages:

Do you suppose CDs are really cheap there now?
Should I check Iceland's online shops?  ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Brian on May 24, 2009, 03:21:02 PM
Do you suppose CDs are really cheap there now?
Should I check Iceland's online shops?  ;D

There is at least one cd shop in Reykjavik :) I found it when I was there in July 2007. Unfortunately it seemed to concentrate more on Iceland's very active 'indie music' scene(Bjork and Sigur Ros, for example-actually Sigur Ros have done some nice stuff!). More of that anyway than Jon Leifs ;D

Gabriel

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 24, 2009, 03:26:54 PM
There is at least one cd shop in Reykjavik :) I found it when I was there in July 2007. Unfortunately it seemed to concentrate more on Iceland's very active 'indie music' scene(Bjork and Sigur Ros, for example-actually Sigur Ros have done some nice stuff!). More of that anyway than Jon Leifs ;D

We wouldn't need any music store. We would be delighted enough with the incidental music composed by our eminent musicians for celebrating the event. ;D

Anyway, I think that allowing all GMG members to visit simultaneously a CD shop would be quite a dangerous suggestion. ;)

Brian

Quote from: Gabriel on May 24, 2009, 03:45:37 PM
We wouldn't need any music store. We would be delighted enough with the incidental music composed by our eminent musicians for celebrating the event. ;D
We could commission Karl, Luke & Co. to write some entr'actes for the occasion, but if Rob Newman, Saul D., and M forever decide to come, we could use Grieg's Entry March of the Trolls  :D

karlhenning

One of us should write something, and attribute it to Newman.

To be convincing, it would to be something excruciatingly bad.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Gabriel on May 24, 2009, 03:45:37 PM
Anyway, I think that allowing all GMG members to visit simultaneously a CD shop would be quite a dangerous suggestion. ;)

PA announcement:  Attention - There is a violent fight breaking out in aisle S-T-U, there's a Texan and a Manitoban fighting to the death over an Ormandy Shostakovich disc.  For your own safety, do not....I repeat...do not interfere!

:D

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2009, 04:33:06 PM

I believe I have the talent to do the job with or without trying. (No one can tell if I tried one way or the other)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2009, 04:33:06 PM

You wouldn't want that, Karl. A book called the Newman Conspiracy would be written, exposing you, Luke et al. as the incompetent composers behind this poor Scottish patsy.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: Jezetha on May 24, 2009, 10:22:48 PM
You wouldn't want that, Karl. A book called the Newman Conspiracy would be written, exposing you, Luke et al. as the incompetent composers behind this poor Scottish patsy.

Why call this plain truth a "conspiracy", I wonder?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 24, 2009, 04:44:24 PM
PA announcement:  Attention - There is a violent fight breaking out in aisle S-T-U, there's a Texan and a Manitoban fighting to the death over an Ormandy Shostakovich disc.  For your own safety, do not....I repeat...do not interfere!
;D

vandermolen

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 24, 2009, 06:15:03 AM
I would like to collaborate with you on this one!  ;D

Of course, with pleasure  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Catison

Just want to let everyone know I had a wonderful time this weekend in Utrecht with Johan (Christo).  I cannot believe his hospitality and the excellent tours of the city.  And I finally got to ride around The Netherlands on a bike!  Not to mention his family was most welcoming.

Anyone going to be in Aachen this weekend?
-Brett

springrite

Quote from: Catison on June 09, 2009, 06:35:29 AM
Just want to let everyone know I had a wonderful time this weekend in Utrecht with Johan (Christo).  I cannot believe his hospitality and the excellent tours of the city.  And I finally got to ride around The Netherlands on a bike!  Not to mention his family was most welcoming.

Anyone going to be in Aachen this weekend?

I hope to be in Utrecht later this year or early next year at the latest. I should also stop by Amsterdam and Gronnigen. Hope the plan works out. I look forward to meeting some of our Dutch contingent then.

Christo

Quote from: springrite on June 09, 2009, 06:37:38 AM
I hope to be in Utrecht later this year or early next year at the latest. I should also stop by Amsterdam and Gronnigen. Hope the plan works out. I look forward to meeting some of our Dutch contingent then.

Be most welcome in Utrecht & of course we (e.g. the other Johan and me) can also arrange something for Amsterdam. The GMG family seems to be growing!@
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Harry

Yep leave Kimi with me, and you may go to Utrecht. I think I will have more fun!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I hope to be in Utrecht later this year or early next year at the latest. I should also stop by Amsterdam and Groningen. Hope the plan works out. I look forward to meeting some of our Dutch contingent then.

Quote from: Christo on June 09, 2009, 07:29:45 AM
Be most welcome in Utrecht & of course we (e.g. the other Johan and me) can also arrange something for Amsterdam. The GMG family seems to be growing!

Great prospect! Count me in.

Quote from: Harry on June 09, 2009, 07:57:15 AM
Yep leave Kimi with me, and you may go to Utrecht. I think I will have more fun!

You know how to change CDs, Harry, but - can you change nappies?!

springrite

Quote from: Jezetha on June 09, 2009, 08:29:27 AM
You know how to change CDs, Harry, but - can you change nappies?!

I guess I should tell Harry ahead of time that the sentence "Holds up to 10kgs" on the nappie wrap refers to the weight of the baby, NOT the weight of the ...