Forum members who have actually met face-to-face

Started by Ugh!, September 26, 2008, 12:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Thanks guys, it was great to meet up with Bruce. The holiday is over, but the jet-lag is still with me. Having dozed off at my desk, I decided to head for home early. Now of course, I feel wide awake having braved the Spring gales here abouts.

Next week; Edinburgh and a few days at a loch. Might meet up with an Edin member, we shall see.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: knight on May 08, 2009, 06:05:15 AM
Thanks guys, it was great to meet up with Bruce. The holiday is over, but the jet-lag is still with me. Having dozed off at my desk, I decided to head for home early. Now of course, I feel wide awake having braved the Spring gales here abouts.

Next week; Edinburgh and a few days at a loch. Might meet up with an Edin member, we shall see.

Mike

This is starting to sound like Knight's World Tour. I'll alert Springrite in Beijing.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

I am presently engaged in editing the second volume of Mike's travel memoirs, Inching Towards Edinburgh.

knight66

Well, later in the year we progress to Finland to again meet Matti. No doubt there will be tales to tell.

Budapest is also on the horizon, but I can't think of anyone from here over there.

Mike

matti

Quote from: knight on May 08, 2009, 06:31:09 AM

No doubt there will be tales to tell.

Photos (great ones, as to be expected) to see from two earlier visits are on Mike's Photobucket account. I was reminded of them viewing the NY photos a minute ago.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/demster_2006/

Edit: photos from all three visits - you've merged photos from trips one & two, right?

springrite

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2009, 06:20:40 AM
This is starting to sound like Knight's World Tour. I'll alert Springrite in Beijing.

I am at the ready! My possible trip to the Netherland is still on for this summer or early autumn. I hope the last few hurdles do not get in the way.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

knight66

Matti, You are right, conflated. Same with Venice where about five visits are all mixed up.

Mike

Renfield

Should you still be in Edinburgh after Wednesday - when my (academic) duty calls - I would be very happy to make the face-to-face acquaintance, your schedule permitting. Do let me know. :)

springrite

Do that a photo with the monster, or at least of the monster while you are there. I know he/she is not a member of GMG, but still...

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on May 08, 2009, 08:40:55 AM
Do that a photo with the monster, or at least of the monster while you are there. I know he/she is not a member of GMG, but still...

I wonder if anyone has tried playing/singing Nessun Dorma at the Loch?
Regards,
Navneeth

Herman

Quote from: Jezetha on May 06, 2009, 12:25:12 PM
Fellow GMG member Catison (Brett) is staying in Delft the coming three months. If all goes according to plan, we'll meet up this coming Saturday!

Oh cool. I wouldn't mind being of the party some other time (if that's OK).

Christo

Quote from: pjme on May 07, 2009, 01:59:04 PM
ps :  Antwerp, Ghent, Liège, Brussels, Tournai (Doornik), Tongeren....even when it rains History remains quite pretty in the Low Lands. Northern France is also worth visiting : Lille, Arras, Douai...the Polyphonists thank you in advance!

May I add Namur (Namen) and Louvain (Leuven, even with all the damage WWI did to it) to your list of highly enjoyable Belgian historical towns?  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

karlhenning

Someday, I want to just walk across Belgium . . . .

Lilas Pastia

The best way to travel Belgium is with a train pass. The system is fast, efficient and cheap. When you get down you just start walking until you're tired. Walking in Belgium is an unending discovery trip, whether it's in a city or in the woods and fields.

My best time when I go there is to be dropped off at some carrefour (crossroads) and decide which of the 4 or 5 rural roads before me I'll be taking. Rural Belgium reminds me of those experiments with spiders on LSD. The web is mind boggling in its diversity and potential confusion.

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 08, 2009, 10:05:57 AM
Someday, I want to just walk across Belgium . . . .

After that you really should try Russian, and meet all the Sergeiovich's you'd want.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Herman on May 08, 2009, 09:49:33 AM
Oh cool. I wouldn't mind being of the party some other time (if that's OK).

You're welcome, Herman. But I'm afraid we'd be talking not only music, but (Dutch) literature too... Which wouldn't be fair on Brett! (Aren't you in Leiden, The Hague?!?)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brünnhilde forever

I was wondering when Leiden would come up! Walk the same streets Gustav Mahler and Sigmund Freud walked!

Dundonnell

Mike

I am only 45 miles and 1 hour's journey from Edinburgh, Mike!

knight66

I had forgotten about that. I will PM you.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Although I can't furnish you all with a telling picture, I just want to report I had a great evening with Brett Stewart (Catison). It was non-stop talking from 7 PM till past midnight, interrupted only by pizza, coffee and drink (hot chocolate for me, beer for Brett). An incredible amount of topics was touched, from Star Wars to Seinfeld, the merits of Bernard Herrmann vs. John Williams, Aquinas, G.M. Hopkins, Dutch history, brassbands in Texas, the wondrous world of GMG...

I have offered Brett to show him around Amsterdam, which we probably will do next weekend.