Author Topic: Guillaume de Machaut (c.1300-1377)  (Read 24240 times)

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
Re: Guillaume de Machaut (c.1300-1377)
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
No, it seems to have been written by Antonino Riccardo Luciani for the TV series
TNX

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »

Listening to this 1973 recording and  what’s striking me most, as often the case in SdFM from this period, is the will to make the music contrapuntally interesting, whether that’s through the juxtaposition of contrasting human voices (and, love it or loathe it, it’s undeniable that Binkley and Ramm makes  a characterful combination when they sing together!), or through the instrumentation. Binkley’s lute music is impressively refined and intelligent. In some of the songs the counterpoint is so interesting it might as well be in the ars subtilior style (eg the two part song  quant à moi /amour et beauté )

They have a distinctive approach to sound, which is small scale and relaxed, totally different from other contemporary groups like Sequentia or Gothic Voices, I like their ideas about how to project sound in this music.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:51:25 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »

My attention was grabbed, and I mean I was strapped to my seat, when I stumbled across the song, Dame si vous m'estes lointaine. Everyone sings it -- Gothic Voices, Lucien Kandel, David Munrow. But I think not one of them comes close to the performance on this CD for beauty, alien beauty, and good judgement about tempo.

I got in trouble here once for saying that I was enjoying Ars Antiqua de Paris play De La Rue. I have a feeling this Machaut recording is going to become a favourite. I haven't heard the mass.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen