Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

This reflects my tastes more than anything, of course, but right now the big (incomplete - 16 done, 16 to go) rival to FFG for 2010s coronation is James Brawn. Considerably less individual than Pienaar, but sometimes Pienaar pushes me too far out of my comfort zone...

Pat B

Quote from: Jo498 on December 20, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
That's why I put it in scare quotes. Without a doubt, Pollini is one of the major living pianists. However, I do not feel that I have to listen to or own all recordings of all major pianists (it is simply not feasible and I also have other interests). I cannot and do not want to buy a Beethoven sonata set every year (not even every other year), so recording of the year is not enough...

I am like you in that I don't really have any interest in accumulating a large number of cycles (I have 3) and gravitate towards smaller releases. And from what you have written, my taste seems fairly in line with yours, except that I really like what I've heard of Backhaus.

Regarding a purchasing decision on the Pollini cycle, I feel like you have already answered your own question. It's not a bargain if you don't listen to it. In this case you already have the most-touted 2 discs and don't seem enthusiastic about the other 2 you've heard.

The GMG consensus on Pollini seems to be that the late sonata set (which you already have) and his live disc of 11,12,21 are his best Beethoven. The latter is readily available used, but from what you've written about what you've heard of him, I think you might be happier exploring a different pianist, or just listening to what you've already got.

The new erato

Quote from: Pat B on December 22, 2015, 11:17:46 PM
I am like you in that I don't really have any interest in accumulating a large number of cycles (I have 3) and gravitate towards smaller releases.
That tend to be my stragey as well in many areas. 2-5 well regarded complete cycles to ensure that all bases are covered and then to individual releases of particular interest.  In the Beethoven sonata field I have Brendel, Kempf stereo, Gilels, Backhaus mono and Kovacevitch and that will have to do as cycles go.

springrite

I am liking Michael Korstick more and more...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

Quote from: Pat B on December 22, 2015, 11:17:46 PM
I am like you in that I don't really have any interest in accumulating a large number of cycles (I have 3) and gravitate towards smaller releases. And from what you have written, my taste seems fairly in line with yours, except that I really like what I've heard of Backhaus.

The GMG consensus on Pollini seems to be that the late sonata set (which you already have) and his live disc of 11,12,21 are his best Beethoven.
thanks for the pointer to that live disc (problem is that opp. 22 and 26 are among my least favorite Beethoven sonatas, so I hesitate to get this, even if the Waldstein would be really extraordinary)
I also think that the Pollini discs, either the box or the singles will be around used for some time. I am now considering again Backhaus because there is an Italian issue that would be about EUR 30 or less with shipping, so I'll think about this one after Xmas. As I said, Backhaus more or less eludes me with the 7 or so sonatas on the best-of-twofer which I find too dry and "neutral". But even more than Kempff, Backhaus is one of THE standard recommendations for the cycle (like Schnabel, Arrau and Gulda), so I keep thinking that he should get another fair chance...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

jlaurson

Quote from: Jo498 on December 23, 2015, 12:21:59 AM
. As I said, Backhaus more or less eludes me with the 7 or so sonatas on the best-of-twofer which I find too dry and "neutral". But even more than Kempff, Backhaus is one of THE standard recommendations for the cycle (like Schnabel, Arrau and Gulda), so I keep thinking that he should get another fair chance...

Well, there's no point in trying too hard, perhaps. Dry and "neutral" just about hit it on the head. Backhaus may be more than that, but he's certainly that, also. And if that's not how you like your LvB, damn all the recommendations (mine included) and go with Gilels or Arrau I or whatever really *is* to your liking. So much good stuff out there, it pays to be led by one's preferences. :-) Maybe Jumppanen? Certainly not like Backhaus and, to my ears, quite wonder- and playful.

Todd

A Liszt box with the complete Annees, Harmonies, and Consolations, among other things.  Very tempting.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mookalafalas

This landed at my shop.  I have some terrific Gilels, but am so swamped in great piano music that I really don't want to buy more.  Perhaps the DG stuff is his worse and can be missed?

[asin]B015P76E2U[/asin]
It's all good...

André

Some items seem to be missing (4 LvB sonatas - okay, we know he didn't record  #32, so that's really 3 missing), 3 LvB concertos inter alia. Unless the Amazon listing is wrong...

Jo498

Of the Beethoven sonatas with Gilels op.2/1, 14/1, 54, 78 and 111 will be missing forever because they weren't recorded.

Some of these, like the chamber music with Kogan etc. apparenly came to DG by way of Westminster issues of Melodiya recordings. So I do not know how far "complete" is applicable there.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

I thought  only # 32 was missing from his recordings... :-[

king ubu

Would surely be a fine set if you didn't already own two thirds of it (which I do, I think - the Beethoven sonatas, the Brahms concerti, some of the chamber music, the Grieg disc from the DG Originals cube etc.) - I think for once I'll be able to stay firm and not buy it (even more so as I have more Gilels on EMI, Melodiya and Brilliant anyways).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on December 29, 2015, 02:29:10 PM
Would surely be a fine set if you didn't already own two thirds of it (which I do, I think - the Beethoven sonatas, the Brahms concerti, some of the chamber music, the Grieg disc from the DG Originals cube etc.) - I think for once I'll be able to stay firm and not buy it (even more so as I have more Gilels on EMI, Melodiya and Brilliant anyways).

I don't have much on DG outside of the sonatas, but have the EMI and Brillant.  Good call. I shall strive to give it a miss ???
It's all good...

mc ukrneal

Any thoughts on this one?
[asin]B003UW6WDE[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

aligreto

Interesting; the Talich set was a 2015 purchase by me and I really liked it so I think that I will also investigate that Nash Ensemble set.

Mandryka

Graham Barber plays Georg Bohm; Hans Davidsson plays Bohm.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Gouvy: Complete Symphonies

[asin]B00X0E7IT4[/asin]

This was released last summer.  MDT has the best price.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 07, 2016, 10:13:44 AM

Graham Barber plays Georg Bohm; Hans Davidsson plays Bohm.

The Barber I find a bit neutral in expression and played on a rather generic organ.

The Davidsson I do not know. Any link?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

André

Quote from: Daverz on January 07, 2016, 11:11:40 AM
Gouvy: Complete Symphonies

[asin]B00X0E7IT4[/asin]

This was released last summer.  MDT has the best price.

It has been so ordered !!!   ;D

Through Amazon.ca who offered a better deal (about 21$US shipping included)