Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if I've posted this interview here (or if it's been posted at all), but this was rather humbling for me:

https://www.youtube.com/v/41uBCBzsz2U&fbclid=IwAR3GqHwH8i4w0cDNAottk3p1M6BgWNbtfZKhDvwnPJjrpG-GrDIEuItQq0M

Alek Hidell

Speaking of Britten's piano music, this was my first encounter with the man's music:

[asin]B000002ZVO[/asin]
And I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Of course it has only a few works for solo piano on it (Holiday Diary, Five Waltzes, and Notturno), but the whole thing is worth checking out.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on December 24, 2019, 01:21:32 PM
Speaking of Britten's piano music, this was my first encounter with the man's music:

[asin]B000002ZVO[/asin]
And I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Of course it has only a few works for solo piano on it (Holiday Diary, Five Waltzes, and Notturno), but the whole thing is worth checking out.

Very nice. I've seen this recording before. Hyperion has recorded a good bit of Britten's music. I'm surprised they haven't gotten around to recording War Requiem, which is right up this label's alley. Perhaps one day.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2019, 05:09:34 PM
Britten
War Requiem, Op. 66
Gabrieli, Susan Gritton, Christopher Maltman, John Mark Ainsley
Wrocław Philharmonic Choir, Gabrieli Young Singers Scheme, Trebles of the Choir of New College Oxford
Paul McCreesh

A new acquisition. While this doesn't displace Britten's own legendary recording on Decca, this McCreesh recording does offer a different view of the work, which, perhaps, is more reflective, but not without moments of intensity. The soloists are all fantastic, but Britten's own recording representing UK, Russia, and Germany gives the work another layer of depth rather than an all-British vocal cast. I do like this performance a lot and many details within the work have been brought to the fore. The packaging is marvelous.

Mirror Image

Did anyone here happen to read Oliver Knussen's interview about Britten? It's quite illuminating and gives a special insight into Britten's character.

pjme

Many years ago I bougt the LP with this lovely work.

To my surprise here is the world premiere performance from Basel! A bit slower than George Malcolm , but with a most interesting line up of soloists. This must have been quite unusual repertoire for Giebel and Cavelti.

https://www.youtube.com/v/f42F9aK0I0Q

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 08, 2020, 12:07:06 PM
Thanks for posting this interview; it is possibly the best thing I read about Britten.

8)

You're welcome. I guess I could be considered a part of the 'Britten cult' that Knussen speaks of, but I certainly do understand that this composer certainly isn't for everyone, especially the operas and vocal works. But once one acquires the taste, it's difficult not to shower the composer with superlatives.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 08, 2020, 11:56:52 AM
Many years ago I bougt the LP with this lovely work.

To my surprise here is the world premiere performance from Basel! A bit slower than George Malcolm , but with a most interesting line up of soloists. This must have been quite unusual repertoire for Giebel and Cavelti.

https://www.youtube.com/v/f42F9aK0I0Q

A very fine work, indeed. I should revisit it at some juncture.

pjme

Thanks, indeed, for the Knussen interview.

"Sometimes I got fed up with the Britten "cult", but never the composer. He wasn't a successor to anyone. He invented his own slot. He was an absolute master of architecture, which is why those operas all work. He was a truly great composer. "

P.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 08, 2020, 12:49:22 PM
Thanks, indeed, for the Knussen interview.

"Sometimes I got fed up with the Britten "cult", but never the composer. He wasn't a successor to anyone. He invented his own slot. He was an absolute master of architecture, which is why those operas all work. He was a truly great composer. "

P.

No problem. A great quote from Knussen.

Mirror Image

I won't be able to go through all of these 'Work of the Week' articles, but I read/watched a few of them and they're quite good. Check them out:

https://brittenpears.org/explore/benjamin-britten/music/work-of-the-week/?fbclid=IwAR0GueMPmje7sXQPNGPxqdmwzpcZaNgZ_Jb6cP_JXsyjjdrhMTm7Df13btg

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2020, 04:05:28 PM
Britten
Death in Venice, Op. 88
Michael Chance (counter-tenor), Philip Langridge (tenor), Alan Opie (baritone)
BBC Singers, City of London Sinfonia
Richard Hickox

One of the greatest operas I've ever heard and one that I still rank highly. Apparently, Pears said that Death in Venice was an 'evil opera' and it was killing Britten. I think this is true to some extent. As told in the documentary by John Bridcut titled Britten's Endgame, that Britten was supposed to have heart surgery but ignored his doctor's wishes and continued to work on this opera. The subject matter is also risky as it is essentially about a man who falls for a young teenaged boy. Britten was certainly wrestling with some demons of his own. The music itself harkens back to some of that Gamelan-influence found in the ballet, The Prince of the Pagodas. For those that loved The Turn of the Screw, will most definitely find much to savor here. I doubt I'll finish this entire opera tonight as I've got some other works I need to get to, but for anyone who hasn't heard this Hickox performance and enjoy this opera, then please run out and buy it.

A great article found here with some video presented by Colin Matthews:

https://brittenpears.org/explore/benjamin-britten/music/work-of-the-week/40-death-in-venice/

vers la flamme

Is there a best recording of the Four Sea Interludes? It's a beautiful piece that I think I should have in my library.

I'm looking at this set, which is going for quite cheap:

[asin]B00000JCAX[/asin]

Anyone heard any of it?

Biffo

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 16, 2020, 02:58:12 AM
Is there a best recording of the Four Sea Interludes? It's a beautiful piece that I think I should have in my library.

[asin]B00000JCAX[/asin]

Anyone heard any of it?

As so often, Britten is his own best interpreter - his recording with the LSO of the Four Sea Interludes and the Passacaglia is available with various couplings. Vernon Handley with the Ulster Orchestra (Chandos) is a bit more modern (1986) and there it is coupled with works by Bax and Bridge.

I haven't heard any of the Boughton box but found some of his other recordings a bit routine.

aukhawk

A few recordings of the Four Sea Interludes do not include the Passacaglia.  These should be avoided, as that is arguably the strongest movement of the five.  (And it's not always obvious from the cover art, if it's included or not.)  For example Previn would be recommendable but as far as I can tell he didn't record the Passacaglia.

I like Kalmar, on this mixed CD (also includes a very good VW Symphony 5 and Elgar's Cockaigne)

Pesek / Liverpool PO is good too, in an all-Britten collection.

pjme

Britten's own recording is indeed a great one.
I wonder if this Philadelphia version (ca. 1978) ever appeared on CD?

Yes - coupled with Chostakovich 14....

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 16, 2020, 02:58:12 AM

[asin]B00000JCAX[/asin]

Anyone heard any of it?

Avoid Boughton at all costs! The cavernous audio quality from Nimbus does a grave injustice to Britten's music, which needs absolute clarity. Boughton also isn't too good of a conductor in spite of the audio quality. I never bought his Britten recordings but have sampled them and think you're best to put that box set out of your mind.

Biffo

Forgotten I had the Previn but just listened to it - fine atmospheric performance though the composer has the edge in the Storm Interlude. Good sound, 1974  - remastered 1986. The version I have is coupled with the Spring Symphony.