Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on January 16, 2020, 06:49:54 AM
Forgotten I had the Previn but just listened to it - fine atmospheric performance though the composer has the edge in the Storm Interlude. Good sound, 1974  - remastered 1986. The version I have is coupled with the Spring Symphony.

It's difficult to beat the composer in much of his music, but this doesn't mean that his versions are the 'definitive' performances. I always enjoy hearing a different interpretation of his music. Interesting that you mentioned Spring Symphony as this is a work I've been meaning to get around to. I'm sure I've heard it before, but it's been years since I've heard it. I own Britten's own performance, Previn, and Hickox. I'll probably spring (no pun intended ;)) for the Britten-led performance.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aukhawk on January 16, 2020, 04:00:56 AM
A few recordings of the Four Sea Interludes do not include the Passacaglia.  These should be avoided, as that is arguably the strongest movement of the five.  (And it's not always obvious from the cover art, if it's included or not.)  For example Previn would be recommendable but as far as I can tell he didn't record the Passacaglia.

He did record the Passcaglia. It can be found on this twofer:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Maestro267

It annoys me how the Sea Inteludes are filler on so many recordings! It reeks of cheap programming.

In my view, the Sea Interludes and the Passacaglia should be avoided. Get the whole opera. Hear the interludes in their proper context.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 16, 2020, 11:21:42 AM
It annoys me how the Sea Inteludes are filler on so many recordings! It reeks of cheap programming.

In my view, the Sea Interludes and the Passacaglia should be avoided. Get the whole opera. Hear the interludes in their proper context.

You're probably right, of course, but this is beautiful music and I am not interested in opera at this time. Plus, weren't they arranged by the composer himself as an independent suite? If he condones it, then I think it's worth hearing as such.

Re: Boughton, thanks for the thoughts, I'll likely not be getting this. Personally I quite enjoy the cavernous Nimbus sound, but I can possibly see how that would be a drawback in some of Britten's music.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a CD with Britten's own recording. Is there a relatively recent remastering?

Is this the one to get?

[asin]B0031Y4A9E[/asin]

Also, this looks great for the price:

[asin]B00000IM6O[/asin]

Anyone have it?

Edit: I see this:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8152287--britten-four-sea-interludes-young-persons-guide-to-the-orchestra

Damn! I already have the CD with all three of the other works  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 16, 2020, 11:21:42 AM

I certainly agree. Peter Grimes must be experienced, but for those that do like these extracts from the opera, I don't really see any problem with a conductor who just wants to record these works. Of course, as you mentioned, I do get rather tired of seeing them on recordings, especially when there are full-fledged works that were meant to be performed on their own without any kind of context like Sinfonia da Requiem or the Cello Symphony for example.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2020, 06:25:51 PM
I certainly agree. Peter Grimes must be experienced, but for those that do like these extracts from the opera, I don't really see any problem with a conductor who just wants to record these works. Of course, as you mentioned, I do get rather tired of seeing them on recordings, especially when there are full-fledged works that were meant to be performed on their own without any kind of context like Sinfonia da Requiem or the Cello Symphony for example.

Of course Grimes is a nailed on masterpiece and a great theatrical work experienced live.  But the interludes/passacaglia work really well as an independent suite and if they provide an "in" for people either to this specific work or composer or opera in general then all the better.  By this measure no orchestral/operatic excerpt or overture should ever be performed away from the original work.  There goes Wagner or Rossini for starters!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 17, 2020, 04:08:19 AM
Of course Grimes is a nailed on masterpiece and a great theatrical work experienced live.  But the interludes/passacaglia work really well as an independent suite and if they provide an "in" for people either to this specific work or composer or opera in general then all the better.  By this measure no orchestral/operatic excerpt or overture should ever be performed away from the original work.  There goes Wagner or Rossini for starters!

Peter Grimes is a great work whether experienced in concert or in the comfort of your own home. In fact, I prefer listening at home. At least I don't have to go out and fight the traffic, crowds, and deal with people who have their cell phones out or who have infectious colds. Also, I never meant to imply that Sea Interludes and Passacaglia weren't fun to listen to, because they are, but it's always a good thing to have these works heard within Grimes.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2020, 06:05:36 AM
Peter Grimes is a great work whether experienced in concert or in the comfort of your own home. In fact, I prefer listening at home. At least I don't have to go out and fight the traffic, crowds, and deal with people who have their cell phones out or who have infectious colds. Also, I never meant to imply that Sea Interludes and Passacaglia weren't fun to listen to, because they are, but it's always a good thing to have these works heard within Grimes.

Aside from the musical merits of the work, Grimes is a masterly piece of theatre.  The first time I saw it live was the famous Colin Davis/Jon Vickers/ROHCG production back in the 1980's.  The way the music is tied to that stage action with a versimo-like detail absolutely knocked me out.  Also those haunting cries of "Peter Grimes" from the townspeople/lynch mob during Grimes' mad scene was so compelling.  And best of all, the moment when Balstrode speaks to Peter; "sail out until you loose sight...." in a theatre comes as a real shock.  For me this is a work which is wonderful in any format but overwhelming on the stage.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 17, 2020, 07:08:04 AM
Aside from the musical merits of the work, Grimes is a masterly piece of theatre.  The first time I saw it live was the famous Colin Davis/Jon Vickers/ROHCG production back in the 1980's.  The way the music is tied to that stage action with a versimo-like detail absolutely knocked me out.  Also those haunting cries of "Peter Grimes" from the townspeople/lynch mob during Grimes' mad scene was so compelling.  And best of all, the moment when Balstrode speaks to Peter; "sail out until you loose sight...." in a theatre comes as a real shock.  For me this is a work which is wonderful in any format but overwhelming on the stage.

I bet that was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, where I live, such an experience is difficult to come by, so this is why home listening is a must if you want to familiarize yourself with any of Britten's music. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Britten work on a concert program of any kind in Atlanta (opera, chamber, orchestral, song recitals, etc.).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2020, 07:57:13 AM
I bet that was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, where I live, such an experience is difficult to come by, so this is why home listening is a must if you want to familiarize yourself with any of Britten's music. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Britten work on a concert program of any kind in Atlanta (opera, chamber, orchestral, song recitals, etc.).

The ASO just performed Britten's War Requiem not too long ago. Unfortunately, I did not go.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 17, 2020, 02:37:42 PM
The ASO just performed Britten's War Requiem not too long ago. Unfortunately, I did not go.

Well, I couldn't go and I wouldn't because I don't like Robert Spano's conducting.

Ratliff

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2020, 06:41:47 PM
Well, I couldn't go and I wouldn't because I don't like Robert Spano's conducting.

Any orchestra led by any conductor live has more impact than the best recording that can be imagined. I heard Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 performed by my local college student orchestra conducted by some professor and it was infinitely better than any recording I ever heard, Mravinski, Karajan, Markevitch, Bernstein, take your pick.

It took me one minute to discover that the Atlanta Symphony is performing Lutoslawski, Sibelius and Vaughan Williams this season. You want them to perform modern music? When the perform it, go! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ratliff on January 17, 2020, 07:38:18 PM
Any orchestra led by any conductor live has more impact than the best recording that can be imagined. I heard Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 performed by my local college student orchestra conducted by some professor and it was infinitely better than any recording I ever heard, Mravinski, Karajan, Markevitch, Bernstein, take your pick.

It took me one minute to discover that the Atlanta Symphony is performing Lutoslawski, Sibelius and Vaughan Williams this season. You want them to perform modern music? When the perform it, go! :)

While I won't dispute that it's best to hear music in concert, I find it irritating to go to Atlanta and I usually stay away as much as I can. If I lived in London or NYC, I'd be broke going to concerts. There's just more happening in these cities than where I live.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Ratliff on January 17, 2020, 07:38:18 PM

I'm going to see them perform the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra tomorrow. Excited!

As for Spano's conducting, he may not be the greatest interpreter in the world but he is quite the capable conductor, in my book. I've always really enjoyed him in live performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 18, 2020, 06:18:16 AM
I'm going to see them perform the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra tomorrow. Excited!

As for Spano's conducting, he may not be the greatest interpreter in the world but he is quite the capable conductor, in my book. I've always really enjoyed him in live performance.

Cool! 8) Well, at least someone enjoys Spano's conducting. ;)

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2020, 06:20:21 AM
Cool! 8) Well, at least someone enjoys Spano's conducting. ;)

The ASO regularly sells out the hall. I don't think Spano is the draw as much as the music itself. The Atlanta Symphony is certainly a world class orchestra, and the only one for hundreds of miles in any direction. I for one am grateful for their presence here and their oftentimes adventurous programming, often incorporating works by contemporary composers onto the program. (There's a Knussen work also on the bill tomorrow). They're not the LA Philharmonic, sure, but if you look at their schedule you'll see that they are far from your typical boring orchestra playing nothing but Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

Again, as for Spano, I won't call myself a huge fan by any means, but what I'm saying is that he's by no means bad enough to completely ruin a live performance. If the music is great, it is still gonna be great.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 18, 2020, 06:25:07 AM
The ASO regularly sells out the hall. I don't think Spano is the draw as much as the music itself. The Atlanta Symphony is certainly a world class orchestra, and the only one for hundreds of miles in any direction. I for one am grateful for their presence here and their oftentimes adventurous programming, often incorporating works by contemporary composers onto the program. (There's a Knussen work also on the bill tomorrow). They're not the LA Philharmonic, sure, but if you look at their schedule you'll see that they are far from your typical boring orchestra playing nothing but Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

Again, as for Spano, I won't call myself a huge fan by any means, but what I'm saying is that he's by no means bad enough to completely ruin a live performance. If the music is great, it is still gonna be great.

A program has to be really interesting for me to even consider going and the times that I have seen a program worth attending, life gets in the way and I simply can't go. Also, since I don't live in Atlanta, I always hate making that trip to the city. My dad, who has an inside source working for the orchestra, tells me they're in financial trouble (the orchestra members went on strike a few years ago as well), but hopefully they can pull through this difficult period. The orchestra is also working at half its capacity since it lost many members during the afore mentioned strike. The ASO certainly isn't what it used to be, especially when they were under the direction of Robert Shaw or Yoel Levi.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2020, 06:34:09 AM
A program has to be really interesting for me to even consider going and the times that I have seen a program worth attending, life gets in the way and I simply can't go. Also, since I don't live in Atlanta, I always hate making that trip to the city. My dad, who has an inside source working for the orchestra, tells me they're in financial trouble (the orchestra members went on strike a few years ago as well), but hopefully they can pull through this difficult period. The orchestra is also working at half its capacity since it lost many members during the afore mentioned strike. The ASO certainly isn't what it used to be, especially when they were under the direction of Robert Shaw or Yoel Levi.

There are at least a few this season that I know you will find very interesting. I know there's a Sibelius 6, 7, and the Violin Concerto next month. I would try and plan ahead for it or another one if I were you. I think the trip to the city is not as bad as you are building it up to be in your head. It's gotta be, what, an hour, maybe 90 minutes tops with the worst traffic imaginable? Anyway, if you ask me, a little traffic is well worth a memorable night of excellent live music. Of course, this is one man's perspective. If you are content to stay in and listen to records to avoid the inconvenience of going to the city, it's your life, after all. But you said it yourself: it's best to hear music in concert. Well worth the inconvenience, even if it's once in a blue moon.

As far as the orchestra being in trouble, this is of course due in part to people not going, and it's a problem that orchestras across the country are facing. But I think that the ASO has a solid enough foundation to pull through. I would agree with Ratliff that it's not a good look to lament that you never see Britten programmed in Atlanta, yet even when his music is programmed, you wouldn't go anyway. Come on, you might be one of the biggest Britten fans in Georgia. You have to come out! :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 18, 2020, 06:58:40 AM
There are at least a few this season that I know you will find very interesting. I know there's a Sibelius 6, 7, and the Violin Concerto next month. I would try and plan ahead for it or another one if I were you. I think the trip to the city is not as bad as you are building it up to be in your head. It's gotta be, what, an hour, maybe 90 minutes tops with the worst traffic imaginable? Anyway, if you ask me, a little traffic is well worth a memorable night of excellent live music. Of course, this is one man's perspective. If you are content to stay in and listen to records to avoid the inconvenience of going to the city, it's your life, after all. But you said it yourself: it's best to hear music in concert. Well worth the inconvenience, even if it's once in a blue moon.

As far as the orchestra being in trouble, this is of course due in part to people not going, and it's a problem that orchestras across the country are facing. But I think that the ASO has a solid enough foundation to pull through. I would agree with Ratliff that it's not a good look to lament that you never see Britten programmed in Atlanta, yet even when his music is programmed, you wouldn't go anyway. Come on, you might be one of the biggest Britten fans in Georgia. You have to come out! :D

I would never make the claim that I'm 'one of the biggest Britten fans in Georgia'. ;) That would be a ridiculous assertion on my part even, as I know, you were just joking around. One of my main problems is I don't like driving and more than driving, I hate traffic, so this makes going to Atlanta unbearable for me. It's my own problem and I realize this, but this isn't up for debate. As you said, it's my life, not your own.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2020, 07:09:01 AM
I would never make the claim that I'm 'one of the biggest Britten fans in Georgia'. ;) That would be a ridiculous assertion on my part even, as I know, you were just joking around. One of my main problems is I don't like driving and more than driving, I hate traffic, so this makes going to Atlanta unbearable for me. It's my own problem and I realize this, but this isn't up for debate. As you said, it's my life, not your own.

We'll leave it at that, then. Living right in the city, I guess I am probably more blasé about the insanity of the highways here than I should be, anyway. More than just tedious, it can be really dangerous driving here, so I guess avoiding it at all costs is valid.