Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 01:45:12 PM
Very nice, Jeffrey. That should be a fine set. I believe I own most the Britten from that set in this one:

That looks like a great set too John! I've seen the War Requiem a couple of times live and I recall a very moving performance at the Albert Hall with the boy's choir in the roof. John Foulds's 'A World Requiem', also performed there, was v powerful but in a totally different way. For my last b'day I asked my daughter to get me the classic Decca recording of A War Requiem conducted by Britten which I've owned on LP for decades but never possessed on CD. I especially like Ancerl's recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 01:02:59 PM
Yes, I remember that LP Lol, although I never owned it. I think that you'd like The Darkling Thrush - it's only 13 minutes but I find it very moving and poignant in view of Milford's sad life. That Dutton CD has given me much pleasure and is one of those discs that I can enjoy all the way through despite it featuring the work of three different composers. It's very much in the Finzi/VW mould. Milford's teachers were Holst and VW.

PS on second thoughts I do have that recording but on CD:

Even when you think you don't have a recording you do, Jeffrey. You must live in a mansion or have a man-cave.

That CD is enticing. With longer playing times I do not mind mix and match of composers on CD. A habit of playing whole of a LP is carried over to CD. The remote does not get much use.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2021, 01:17:07 AM
Even when you think you don't have a recording you do, Jeffrey. You must live in a mansion or have a man-cave.

That CD is enticing. With longer playing times I do not mind mix and match of composers on CD. A habit of playing whole of a LP is carried over to CD. The remote does not get much use.

Haha - well I do have a shed converted into a 'man-cave' and largely full of books and CDs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 03:27:22 AM
Haha - well I do have a shed converted into a 'man-cave' and largely full of books and CDs.
Ah, the truth finally comes out!  :D ;)

My 'she-shed' is my house.  ;D

And, yes, that Britten box set is nice (The Collector's Edition); I purchased it years ago.  I also enjoy the Britten:  The Performer CDs (I have Vols. 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 03:45:10 AM
Ah, the truth finally comes out!  :D ;)

My 'she-shed' is my house.  ;D

And, yes, that Britten box set is nice (The Collector's Edition); I purchased it years ago.  I also enjoy the Britten:  The Performer CDs (I have Vols. 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12).

PD

I'm thinking of moving into it permanently with the cat  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 03:49:15 AM
I'm thinking of moving into it permanently with the cat  ;D
;D

But, seriously, how do you deal with *moisture/humidity/mold in your shed?

*None of which are friends to books and CDs.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 03:27:22 AM

oooh one is slightly jealous...   ;D
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 10:24:05 PM
That looks like a great set too John! I've seen the War Requiem a couple of times live and I recall a very moving performance at the Albert Hall with the boy's choir in the roof. John Foulds's 'A World Requiem', also performed there, was v powerful but in a totally different way. For my last b'day I asked my daughter to get me the classic Decca recording of A War Requiem conducted by Britten which I've owned on LP for decades but never possessed on CD. I especially like Ancerl's recording:

Very nice, Jeffrey. I bet seeing War Requiem live was a fantastic experience. I'm a bit jealous, although I shouldn't be this way as I had the opportunity to see it performed in Atlanta (w/ Spano and the Atlanta SO) many years ago but I couldn't go as it was a work night. :-\ I wanted to point out that I also own this fabulous set, which is ridiculously expensive nowadays as it's OOP:

There's no telling how many single issued recordings I own. I'm not even going to bother counting or remembering for that matter. ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 05:16:39 AM
;D

But, seriously, how do you deal with *moisture/humidity/mold in your shed?

*None of which are friends to books and CDs.

PD

It's not the greatest environment but the shed (man-cave) is insulated and I have a heater in there which heats it up very quickly.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2021, 06:45:10 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. I bet seeing War Requiem live was a fantastic experience. I'm a bit jealous, although I shouldn't be this way as I had the opportunity to see it performed in Atlanta (w/ Spano and the Atlanta SO) many years ago but I couldn't go as it was a work night. :-\ I wanted to point out that I also own this fabulous set, which is ridiculously expensive nowadays as it's OOP:

There's no telling how many single issued recordings I own. I'm not even going to bother counting or remembering for that matter. ;D

Yes John, seeing the War Requiem live was very moving indeed. That set looks great but having just ordered the mini British Composers set I'll leave off for now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 06:56:16 AM
Yes John, seeing the War Requiem live was very moving indeed. That set looks great but having just ordered the mini British Composers set I'll leave off for now.

I seriously doubt you'll find this Decca set for a price that isn't astronomically absurd. :) I bought this set not too long after it was released and I'm glad I didn't wait around to buy it as my knuckle-dragging could've cost me in more ways than one in this case.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 06:53:47 AM
It's not the greatest environment but the shed (man-cave) is insulated and I have a heater in there which heats it up very quickly.
That's good!  Was the shed built to handle the overflow of both?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Quote from: aukhawk on January 27, 2021, 08:31:26 AM
Such an irony when Peter Pears is pictured there on the cover yet does not feature (unless he was moonlighting as a percussionist  ;D ) in either of the named works.
Pears giving his friends a fondle - I like to think that photo caught Rostropovich in the act of turning to smack Pears round the chops  :laugh:

I too bought that 'double A-side' LP for the Sinfonia da Requiem (still a good choice in a now-crowded field) but immediately enjoyed the Cantata Misericordum too.  And I don't much like vocal music and actively dislike fluting tenors.
Wow - that's a crude, infantile and inappropriate comment. I know who deserves a smack!
By the way, Pears is the tenor soloist in the Cantata misericordium. Which for incomprehensible reasons is not mentioned on the front (as Vandermolen pointed out).

vandermolen

I still do not know a better and more powerful performance of Sinfonia Da Requiem that the Decca one featured above, conducted by Britten. At least the CD booklet reproduces the LP cover of the Sinfonia da Requiem/Cantata Misericordium release but, yes, very bizarre that it's not mentioned on the front of the CD as it's such a fine work.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 07:43:07 AM
That's good!  Was the shed built to handle the overflow of both?

PD

OT

PD,
The old shed was falling to bits. When I retired from full-time teaching the Teacher's Pension Scheme gave me a lump sum so that, for the first time ever, I had a bit of money in the bank. The 'Man-Cave' was really built as an alternative work room. When it's in a more presentable state I'll post a photo of it.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 11:59:44 PM
OT

PD,
The old shed was falling to bits. When I retired from full-time teaching the Teacher's Pension Scheme gave me a lump sum so that, for the first time ever, I had a bit of money in the bank. The 'Man-Cave' was really built as an alternative work room. When it's in a more presentable state I'll post a photo of it.  :)
Happy decorating!
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Irons

Such an irony when Peter Pears is pictured there on the cover yet does not feature (unless he was moonlighting as a percussionist  ;D ) in either of the named works.
Pears giving his friends a fondle - I like to think that photo caught Rostropovich in the act of turning to smack Pears round the chops  :laugh:

I too bought that 'double A-side' LP for the Sinfonia da Requiem (still a good choice in a now-crowded field) but immediately enjoyed the Cantata Misericordum too.  And I don't much like vocal music and actively dislike fluting tenors.

There is an earlier recording too, although mono I prefer the ACL. The Danish orchestra of the period were outstanding.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 28, 2021, 06:18:15 AM
OT
It's tidying up rather than decorating PD  ;D
Well if it makes you feel better, I have a fair bit of 'decorating' to do around here too.  :) ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

You mean for the offense of being touched by a gay homosexual?

This picture was taken in 1965 or something; those people were further in time than you are half a century later.