What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF4

Quote from: ritter on February 21, 2019, 01:59:48 PM
"Que c'est beau!", said Igor Stravinsky. And I fully agree with him... :)

Indeed, beautiful.
And I'll need to put together an updated list of the works I own by Schmitt, because there's bound to be much I'm missing out on.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 21, 2019, 01:00:21 PM

Be it as it may, GB / UK is now only a pale and laughable shadow of her former self. Sic transit gloria mundi.

What! Have you forgotten Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney already?  ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 21, 2019, 07:35:24 PM
Enescu
Symphony No. 1 in E-flat major, Op. 13
Lawrence Foster, conductor
Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo

Really amazing work. Of course, the orchestration is first-rate, but there's much more to this work than orchestration. There is a musical narrative happening. I still won't say that orchestral music is Enescu's strongest point, but there's nothing unworthy about this symphony and it's his first, so I can't wait to revisit the other two.
I didn't quite warm to Enescu's symphonic works (I have the Foster) until I bought the Ondine recordings. I'm sorry if that makes you spend more money.

NikF4

D'Indy: Orchestral Works - Janowski/Radio France Philharmonic.

[asin]B000057ZER[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2019, 11:53:47 PM
What! Have you forgotten Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney already?  ;)

Alas! they too belong to the past. :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 22, 2019, 01:55:28 AM
Alas! they too belong to the past. :laugh:

OK. Declan Rice then. (Forgetting the fact we "stole" him from the Irish Republic). 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Debussy

Préludes  book 1
Tarantelle Styrienne
Hommage à Haydn

vandermolen

Symphony 5 'Solitudo':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 22, 2019, 02:08:55 AM
OK. Declan Rice then. (Forgetting the fact we "stole" him from the Irish Republic). 8)

Declan who?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on February 21, 2019, 12:45:02 PM
UK is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, while Great Britain is all of the above plus the rest of the Commonwealth. Is this right?

"Britain" is the name of an island. Someone decided it warranted the adjective "Great".

The island used to be the home of the Britons. Only after the Anglo-Saxons invaded, quite a lot of them fled across the sea, to Brittany. Where they became Bretons.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

vandermolen

Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Purchased this for $3.99 through iTunes.

Papy Oli

Some assortment of Vaughan Williams - CD11 from his collector's edition :

Serenade to Music
The poisoned Kiss
Old King Cole
Five mystical songs
Prelude on an old carol tune
The running set
Prelude 49th parallel
Sea songs - March

[asin]B00156ZWV0[/asin]

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 04:55:44 AM
Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:

Sorry for your loss, Jeffrey.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 05:19:55 AM
Some assortment of Vaughan Williams - CD11 from his collector's edition :

Serenade to Music
The poisoned Kiss
Old King Cole
Five mystical songs
Prelude on an old carol tune
The running set
Prelude 49th parallel
Sea songs - March

[asin]B00156ZWV0[/asin]

Sorry for your loss, Jeffrey.

Thank you Olivier.

Interesting VW selection. I'm not fond of the Serenade to Music but am very much in the minority there. However, I think that Old King Cole is great fun and the Five Mystical Songs are amongst his greatest works. I like the two Preludes and The Running Set as well.

Thread duty:
Back to Peterson-Berger as I was interrupted last time I attempted to listen to this (Symphony 5 'Solitudo'):

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 22, 2019, 12:18:30 AM
I didn't quite warm to Enescu's symphonic works (I have the Foster) until I bought the Ondine recordings. I'm sorry if that makes you spend more money.

Hah! I already own the Lintu recordings. ;) :D I should listen to those. I'm not really a huge fan of Enescu's orchestral music in general. I'm finding much more excitement and originality in the chamber works and, hopefully, the solo piano music, which I will be visiting soon.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 05:53:13 AM

Interesting VW selection. I'm not fond of the Serenade to Music but am very much in the minority there. However, I think that Old King Cole is great fun and the Five Mystical Songs are amongst his greatest works. I like the two Preludes and The Running Set as well.

I ended up skipping the songs, not in the right frame of mind for them I guess. I enjoyed mostly the Serenade to music and the last four tracks myself.

With my recent foray in British orchestral music, I seem to be more receptive to RVW's orchestral music than on previous attempts. I might have to revisit his symphonies sooner rather than later (I have the Handley cycle and Andrew Davis'.). Only the 2nd symphony really stuck with me (that Lento is one of my most favourite symphonic movements), all the rest was just same-y  :-[ 0:)

High time, I re-assess them.
Olivier

Traverso

Hans Werner Henze

Piano Concerto No.2 ( Eschenbach)

Mirror Image

Enescu
Violin Sonata No. 3 in A minor, Op. 25 'dans le caractère populaire roumain'
Remus Azoitei (violin), Eduard Stan (piano)