Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Ravel - Piano Trio in A Minor
From the Beaux Arts Trio big box

[asin]B00000E2PG[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 06:11:13 AM
I ended up skipping the songs, not in the right frame of mind for them I guess. I enjoyed mostly the Serenade to music and the last four tracks myself.

With my recent foray in British orchestral music, I seem to be more receptive to RVW's orchestral music than on previous attempts. I might have to revisit his symphonies sooner rather than later (I have the Handley cycle and Andrew Davis'.). Only the 2nd symphony really stuck with me (that Lento is one of my most favourite symphonic movements), all the rest was just same-y  :-[ 0:)

High time, I re-assess them.

No.6 is my favourite but I love them all. You might be interested in the 1913 or 1920 versions of A London Symphony, especially for the deeply moving section which VW (mistakenly in my view) excised from the score in 1936, just before the Epilogue of the last movement. The Handley and Davis sets do not include either version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Michelangelo Rossi.
Toccate e Correnti, parte seconda.
Francesco Cera, plays on a organ made by Luca Neri, 1651. Temperament: Tono medio regolare. Pitch: 430 Hz, & a Chamber organ, "Organo de Camera"owned by the recording label Tactus, constructed by Barthelemy Formentelli, (Pedemonte) 1986, after 17 & 18th century Italian models.

Excellent.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Antonio Bazzini.
String Quartets No. 1 & 3.
Quartetto Bazzini.

Fine and sweet music, well scored.

Harry

Julius Rontgen.
Symphony No. 9, "The Bitonal".
No. 21 in A minor.
Serenade in E major.
Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester Frankfurt, David Porcelijn.

As always with this excellent series, perfect.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: NikF4 on February 21, 2019, 01:28:06 PM
Schmitt: La Tragedie de Salome - Martinon/ORTF.

[asin]B010RQBBIQ[/asin]
Ooooh!  I bet that that is a 'yummy' boxset?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 06:30:54 AM
No.6 is my favourite but I love them all. You might be interested in the 1913 or 1920 versions of A London Symphony, especially for the deeply moving section which VW (mistakenly in my view) excised from the score in 1936, just before the Epilogue of the last movement. The Handley and Davis sets do not include either version.

I have the Hickox 1913 version on the shelf too but only listened to it once or twice maybe. Will have to revisit that one more carefully for the differences.

TD: Haydn - Symphonies 48 & 49 - Hogwood / AAM

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 07:01:14 AM
I have the Hickox 1913 version on the shelf too but only listened to it once or twice maybe. Will have to revisit that one more carefully for the differences.

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]

Re: Hickox VW - it's about a minute and a half of very poignant music shortly before the end, which is completely missing from the more familiar version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Earlier today:

Quite an enjoyable interview with the conductor Eugene Ormandy upon his return to recording with RCA.  The real treat:  Side 2.  In particular, I was blown away by Marion Anderson's recording of Brahms' Alto Rhapsody.  I don't recall ever having heard this work before (though the title was familiar to me).  Alas, no German translation (and my German....what little remains of it...is not so good to put it nicely).  I'll have to look up the words to it (based on a poem by Goethe).  Also, I greatly enjoyed the tracks with Melchior and Flagstad.  Wish that there hadn't been a scratch on the Brahms' though.   :'(  Will have to keep an eye out for another copy of it.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 04:55:44 AM
Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:

So sorry to hear of your aunt's death.  My condolences to you and your family and relatives.

Best wishes,

Pohjolas Daughter
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

New release.
The first item is new to me and a very nice discovery:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 07:01:14 AM

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Pleased to hear that you are wanting to revisit Vaughan Williams' symphonies; he's a favorite composer of mine.   :)  Enjoy the journey!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 07:15:40 AM
Re: Hickox VW - it's about a minute and a half of very poignant music shortly before the end, which is completely missing from the more familiar version.

thank you, will check it out.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2019, 07:19:51 AM
Pleased to hear that you are wanting to revisit Vaughan Williams' symphonies; he's a favorite composer of mine.   :)  Enjoy the journey!

PD

Thank you, PD.
Olivier

Mirror Image

Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:

I'm sorry to hear of this news, Jeffrey. All the best to you. She lived a long life, which any of us would be fortunate to have.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2019, 07:33:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear of this news, Jeffrey. All the best to you. She lived a long life, which any of us would be fortunate to have.
+1. Deepest sympathies.

THREAD DUTY:

Some more Roberto Gerhard...
[asin]B00000465G[/asin]
First listen to the Dances from Don Quixote in their reduction for solo piano. Strange how jazzy the Introduction sounds*, compared to the orchestral version. And the Dance of the Muleteers must be one of the catchiest tunes  in modern Spanish music.  :).

Most of the other works on this CD I have in other recordings.

* Actually, it's a boogie-woogie  :)

Papy Oli

Starting the RVW symphonies...from the end...No.9 it is.

[asin]B0014DAI9U[/asin]
Olivier

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2019, 07:33:28 AM
+2

Thread-duty - Fresh from the mail for First-listen Friday

Martinů
Concerto for flute, violin & orchestra, H. 2521
Duo concertante for 2 violins & orchestra, H 2642
Concerto in D major for 2 violins & orchestra, H. 3293
Bohuslav Matoušek (vn)
Janne Thomsen1, Régis Pasquier2, Jennifer Koh3
Czech Philharmonic
Christopher Hogwood

[asin]B07JYQTKCX[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SymphonicAddict

My heartfelt condolences. That Bloch's work will give you some relief.

SymphonicAddict

String quintets

Lively and enthusiastic renditions of these works. I had listened to the Piano Quintet from this set before, and it's easily a top-notch performance. Although comparing it to the DG recording with Pletnev et al, the latter remains my favorite recording of the PQ.