What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Bach: Cantata No. 170, Janet Baker, mezzo soprano

[asin]B07N3RHGX9[/asin]

Biffo

Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn - Bernstein/NYPO with Walter Berry and Christa Ludwig (1967)

Madiel

Having been led to talk about it on here recently...

Rachmaninov, Symphonic Dances, 2 piano version, Ashkenazy/Previn.

Edit: Apparently it's over 18 months since I last listened to anything in my Rachmaninov collection. Oh dear.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

staxomega

Op. 1 Preludes and Op. 4 Etudes

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 15, 2019, 03:49:28 PM
The Quintet for flute, harp and string trio and the String Trio are other beauties with unmistakable exotic sonorities. I really love those works as well.

Indeed! I know and love the Quintet for flute, harp, and string trio, but I don't yet know the String Trio.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

First listen to Wynton Marsalis' new violin concerto and dance suite for solo violin.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2019, 06:45:17 AM
First listen to Wynton Marsalis' new violin concerto and dance suite for solo violin.

How is it?

Quote from: schnittkease on July 15, 2019, 08:27:05 PM
Maybe you're hearing the wrong performance. I think Rattle does a great job with Op. 31.

You shouldn't approach this music different than you would earlier music. Schoenberg was as much a Romantic as Brahms or Tchaikovsky.

I happen to agree with SymphonicAddict.  Of the three big Second Viennese School composers, Schoenberg is the one that I least like.   I like Berg far more.  Webern I can't make up my mind about.  Simply put, so much of his music is so short in length that by the time I start to figure it out, it's over.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SonicMan46

Villa-Lobos, Heitor - Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras w/ John Neschling & Roberto Minczuk and the São Paulo SO - over the last few days - review attached for those interested.  Dave

Brian

Quote from: JBS on July 16, 2019, 07:05:58 AM
How is it?
Slight, but enjoyable, might be a good way of describing it. I am writing up a full post in the "New Music Log" thread.

bhodges

Suk: A Summer's Tale (Pesek/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra) -- Why this gorgeous, evocative tone poem doesn't show up more in the concert hall is a mystery. Libor Pesek and the Liverpool ensemble sound magnificent.

[Asin]B003C1AM6G[/asin]

--Bruce

cilgwyn

Playing,now! Frank Bridge: Piano Sonata. A fantastic,2 cd,collection of all four Bax Sonatas,plus,those of Bridge and Ireland. A must for fans of British piano music,from this period. Excellent recording quality and booklet notes.

jwinter

Revisiting some history with Prof. Greenberg during my commute today... 

(This also explains some of why I'm pondering loading up on CPE Bach over on the Purchases Being Considered thread)...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vandermolen

Symphony 2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: schnittkease on July 15, 2019, 08:27:05 PM
Maybe you're hearing the wrong performance. I think Rattle does a great job with Op. 31.

https://www.youtube.com/v/g7wefv98lvo

You shouldn't approach this music different than you would earlier music. Schoenberg was as much a Romantic as Brahms or Tchaikovsky.

I also like Boulez and Craft in this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jamie

Listened to her Homage album yesterday and enjoyed it so much I wanted more from her and so this...

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B00CE28SH4[/asin]
A nice recital of Spanish harpsichord music! Lydia Maria Blank's style is on the steady & measured side.
The acoustics are a touch overbearing, but the ear adjusts.
Strangely enough, there is no information with this recording on the harpsicord but I assume (it certainly sounds like it) that Blank used her own instrument after Italian models: https://lydiamariablank.jimdo.com/english/my-harpsichord-mein-cembalo/

Q

Traverso

Quote from: Que on July 16, 2019, 09:40:55 PM
Morning listening:

[asin]B00CE28SH4[/asin]
A nice recital of Spanish harpsichord music! Lydia Maria Blank's style is on the steady & measured side.
The acoustics are a touch overbearing, but the ear adjusts.
Strangely enough, there is no information with this recording on the harpsicord but I assume (it certainly sounds like it) that Blank used her own instrument after Italian models: https://lydiamariablank.jimdo.com/english/my-harpsichord-mein-cembalo/

Q

Ah..back in town,did you have a fine holiday? ;)

Que

Quote from: Traverso on July 16, 2019, 10:08:19 PM
Ah..back in town,did you have a fine holiday? ;)

Excellent!  :) Visited most Scandinavian capitals & St. Petersburg, very satisfying....  8)

Love to revisit the Hermitage some time in the future.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on July 16, 2019, 10:13:50 PM
Excellent!  :) Visited most Scandinavian capitals & St. Petersburg, very satisfying....  8)

Love to revisit the Hermitage some time in the future.

Q

Welcome back Que!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."