Yes, I would even prefer Rameau on a Steinway
13 (39.4%)
No, it's sacrilege
3 (9.1%)
Ok, but prefer period instruments
17 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

bwv 1080

Opinions of Bach and Scarlatti on modern grand piano?

kishnevi

I voted okay but in truth I think the most important thing is the musician and not the instruments on which he is performing.

bwv 1080

I am not against it, but the music does not work as well as on period instruments, unless it's given an idiosyncratic performance like Gould's.  Too often it just sounds sterile.

Gurn Blanston

Definitely not! I don't know about sacrilege, but it doesn't work for me. I don't much care for Bach, although I have a lot of his music, but I am a big Scarlatti fan. It would be interesting to hear some on a clavichord or tangent piano though. :)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mn dave

Everything on piano.  8)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 05, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
Definitely not! I don't know about sacrilege, but it doesn't work for me. I don't much care for Bach, although I have a lot of his music, but I am a big Scarlatti fan. It would be interesting to hear some on a clavichord or tangent piano though. :)

How about an upright lautenwerck?
https://www.youtube.com/v/IlTaxziDwXA

mc ukrneal

Piano all the way. Period instruments are often quite physically beautiful, but the music usually sounds better on a piano.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jay F

I get headaches a lot, so period instruments are doable maybe 10% of the time. I can nearly always listen to piano, though. With a few exceptions, I stopped buying Bach on keyboard when I got Andras Schiff's CDs.

Sammy

I prefer the harpsichord, but piano is acceptable for Bach (less so for Scarlatti).

North Star

Quote from: Sammy on May 05, 2014, 06:45:48 PM
I prefer the harpsichord, but piano is acceptable for Bach (less so for Scarlatti).
+1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

It definitely depends on the music, the performer and the instrument. Rameau, for example, comes across beautifully as played by Marcelle Meyer (and even Hewitt). I think that is true for Couperin as well.  Regardless, it is just a different experience to hear Meyer play Rameau compared to his music being performed on a harpsichord.  It seems like there is more variation in the harpsichord realm depending on the instrument and the performer.  Why can't we enjoy both worlds?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

San Antone

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on May 06, 2014, 03:05:17 AM
not either/or : and
Oh please, no! I'd rather hear the music played either on the piano or on the harpsichord, not as a hpd & pf duo!  0:)

My photographs on Flickr

Marc

Sacrilege?

Now come on.

>:D

San Antone

accordion .... marimba ... saxophone quartet ... wendy carlos?

North Star

Recorder quartet, gambas, they're all good in the DKF. :)
Just leave the Goldbergs for the harpsichordists..

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Marc

Quote from: sanantonio on May 06, 2014, 04:33:28 AM
accordion .... marimba ... saxophone quartet ... wendy carlos?

Whomever on whatever.
Just listen, and then pick your favourite(s).

I have a rather conservative taste, so I prefer period instruments. IMO, most of the baroque keyboard works sound more natural on them, and I love the sound of those oldies.

But I don't think that Bach or Scarlatti are holy, and that their compositions and scores are sacred, and that there is just One Holy Way of playing them, on just One Holy Instrument.

Marc

Karl Henning

Quote from: Marc on May 06, 2014, 05:47:06 AM
But I don't think that Bach or Scarlatti are holy, and that their compositions and scores are sacred, and that there is just One Holy Way of playing them, on just One Holy Instrument.

To say nothing of that One Holy Instrument not being in existence when the music was composed . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot