Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Undersea on February 03, 2018, 12:09:13 AM

Well... I personally think this is rather awful but what do you guys say?. :)

I say you've made an accurate assessment. Looks like something that went very wrong in the 1980s.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on February 03, 2018, 02:21:02 AM
The swan makes a nice contrast and a "ghetto kid" seems a reasonable parallel to the "pure fool" Parsifal. Anyway, the others from this series are actually worse:

[asin]B0000064X1[/asin] [asin]B0000064X2[/asin]

You wouldn't think it possible, but you're right.

And what is this Orchestral Quest / Orchestral Adventure / Orchestral Passion rubbish?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

André

Jo498

Orchestral because it is "Wagner without words"
Parsifal: Quest (for the Holy Lance/remedy for Amfortas' wound)
Tristan: Passion (although not quite for the Venus of Willendorf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf)
Ring: Adventure fits almost every story
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Undersea on February 03, 2018, 12:09:13 AM

Well... I personally think this is rather awful but what do you guys say?. :)

I'm sure it's terribly relevant artistically, but as someone who can't bear the thought of killing animals, I find the cover offputting (to say the least).

André

It seems a gleeful Sylvain Cambreling is about to poke at St Sebastien's ribs here. I wonder if the disc producers know what the story is about ?  ::)

anothername

Quote from: Undersea on February 03, 2018, 01:18:43 AM
Lol, yeah, I don't get it...
(it says on the Amazon blurb for the Disc that the image is by Dutch Artist Erwin Olaf).
Very famous Dutch artist I might add.  $:)

TheGSMoeller

Let me start by saying I believe these are good covers, you can never go wrong with a high-contrast, stark portrait of an artist. However I'm placing this here because there are way too many similarities in these covers, even down to the programming! And only 2 years apart.
I'll take it as a homage to the King Harnoncourt.

Brian

Vampire Concerto, new release this month

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 09, 2018, 06:37:28 AM

Did Beethoven Symphony no 4/5 come before symphony no 1? Is it also known as Symphony No 0.8? Does Beethoven get any recognition for writing a symphony with a fractional number? I think it is a shoe in for worst cover.

Brian

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 07:53:26 AM
Did Beethoven Symphony no 4/5 come before symphony no 1? Is it also known as Symphony No 0.8? Does Beethoven get any recognition for writing a symphony with a fractional number? I think it is a shoe in for worst cover.
A bit like

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 07:53:26 AM

It says SYMPHONIES. Not Symphony. Nowhere on that cover does it say anything about Symphony 4/5, meaning your entire premise is wrong.

And it's shoo-in.

amw

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2018, 07:50:35 AM

"Wanna see a magic trick?"

Biffo

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2018, 07:50:35 AM

I have no idea who Widmann is so out of curiosity I listened to the Viola Concerto on Spotify. As it turns out, it is not really my cup of tea but it would be a shame if a ridiculous cover put people off buying this disc. It is an example of why I don't care about cover art - good, bad or indifferent - the musical content is what matters to me.

Jo498

I wonder why they came up with that cover and what it is supposed to signify.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ørfeo on February 27, 2018, 01:08:15 AM
It says SYMPHONIES. Not Symphony. Nowhere on that cover does it say anything about Symphony 4/5, meaning your entire premise is wrong.

And it's shoo-in.

Maybe Opus 4/5 = 0.8 is a set of three symphonies, like the Piano Sonatas Op 10. I have to check my copy of Thayer's life of Beethoven to make sure.

The character "/" is not generally used as a abbreviation for "and." We have ampersand for that.

Peter Power Pop

kishnevi

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 27, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
Maybe Opus 4/5 = 0.8 is a set of three symphonies, like the Piano Sonatas Op 10. I have to check my copy of Thayer's life of Beethoven to make sure.

The character "/" is not generally used as a abbreviation for "and." We have ampersand for that.

And now you're making up the word "Opus" to throw in there. It doesn't say Opus 4/5, does it? There are few things more annoying than a person trying to be a smart alec when they're actually wrong. That's a basic first step before showing how clever or witty you are, having your facts right.

And while "&" is indeed the most common abbreviation for "and", the use of "/" is not unheard of. But well done on actually getting to a legitimate point about the actual text of the cover, on the third try.