Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Scarpia

Todd

Cell phones should not be used to take album cover photos.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on March 04, 2018, 08:00:21 AM
You mean they don't sell?

I don't know.  They look like shit, though.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: geralmar on February 28, 2018, 11:47:02 AM

I've actually seen this CD on a "best album cover" thread; but I loathe it.  I hate the title and I look at the photo (I hope that's not Upshaw) and think "lizard woman."   I probably shouldn't have bought it.

I'm not too enamored by the cover either, but the musical content is sumptuous and definitely top-drawer in terms of Upshaw's performances.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Todd on March 04, 2018, 07:07:40 AM

Cell phones should not be used to take album cover photos.

I agree completely.

(Graphic Designer: "What colour do you want for the background?"
Record Company Dude: "How about the colour of her dress?"
Graphic Designer: "Sure. But it might not look very good."
Record Company Dude: "Don't worry about it. Nobody's gonna buy the CD anyway.")

Mirror Image

This is a possible contender for worst CD artwork:

Either Tamestit hates the music on this disc or he's yelling at the photographer to hurry up and take his picture or a combination of both. He's not a happy camper that much is certain.

André

Yup. This takes the cake, I think. He seems to shout DON'T BUY ME !!! Defies understanding  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on March 10, 2018, 07:42:13 AM
Yup. This takes the cake, I think. He seems to shout DON'T BUY ME !!! Defies understanding  ???

Indeed and since it's a Harmonia Mundi recording, it truly baffles me because their album covers are usually much more tastefully done.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2018, 07:17:13 AM

Either Tamestit hates the music on this disc or he's yelling at the photographer to hurry up and take his picture or a combination of both. He's not a happy camper that much is certain.

How Harmonia Mundi has approved that abomination is beyond me. What a horrible mess! Why is the "Widmann" text shouting too? Why is "Viola Concerto" text orange? Gives very cheap impression. Why are the font size differences so HUGE? Tamestit looks like a pale Count Dracula thurst of your blood! Stay away!  >:D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

André

In this day of bodily perfection it's dentally incorrect, too. Not to mention the horrible skin complexion.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on March 11, 2018, 03:23:39 AM
How Harmonia Mundi has approved that abomination is beyond me. What a horrible mess! Why is the "Widmann" text shouting too? Why is "Viola Concerto" text orange? Gives very cheap impression. Why are the font size differences so HUGE? Tamestit looks like a pale Count Dracula thurst of your blood! Stay away!  >:D

Indeed. An atrocious cover.

Madiel

Quote from: George on March 11, 2018, 06:45:35 AM
The orange emphasizes the whole Halloween motif.

Is there anything in the music or context that would justify a Halloween or vampire motif?

That would be the only thing that would make sense of what is otherwise a bizarre cover. And I hadn't even noticed until others pointed it out that this is Harmonia Mundi. I agree, this isn't their normal style at all.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Baron Scarpia

A little googling reveals that it is an unconventional concerto in which the soloist moves around the stage like an actor, following stage directions.  Probably the cover depicts a scene from the "play."

I certainly concur with the consensus the it is unappealing.

Peter Power Pop

Straight from the cover of a gothic romance novel to you...

My favourite part of that cover is the exclamation point.

Madiel

My guess would be it comes from one of the lyrics? I say that partly because Bridge is from the right era to be setting English poems with a tendency towards exclamation marks...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2018, 07:17:13 AM

Hm I actually find this to be a compelling cover and would be inclined to listen to the CD if I saw this.

Biffo

Quote from: jessop on March 14, 2018, 02:44:32 AM
Hm I actually find this to be a compelling cover and would be inclined to listen to the CD if I saw this.

I was intrigued enough by the cover and this discussion to listen to the Viola Concerto on Spotify but not moved to take the matter any further.