Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

It didn't prevent me from buying it, but the cover of this CD is rather off-putting:

Turner

Quote from: motoboy on March 24, 2018, 03:56:09 AM
Yikes!

not quite in the same league, but I´ve always found this one quite awkward too.
It´s from 1993, but the glasses and the suit don´t really correspond to that date, I think ...

Great music-making, however.

motoboy

Baron Scarpia

Here's one in the category, "musician in an inappropriate location, inexplicably holding his or her instrument.

..., yes, the recording engineer suggested recording this album while we went on a walk along the river...

Madiel

Hmm. Perhaps they ran out of time for a photo shoot, and asked "Viktoria, do you have any holiday snaps we could use?"
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Perhaps posted before but this is one of the ugliest LP covers imo.

André

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Traverso on April 10, 2018, 04:26:50 AM
Perhaps posted before but this is one of the ugliest LP covers imo.

Jeepers that's horrible.

It reminds me of this:

NikF

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 18, 2018, 07:56:33 PM
Courtesy New Releases thread

Why hello down there, little man...

Yeah.  ;D

Also, the light on the big man is coming from a completely different direction from that falling on the little man. But perhaps we can allow for artistic licence...

Anyway, bonus trivial BS: you see the nature/form of the follow spot (spotlight) on the piano? It's telling me that shot was a European stage light rather than a North American. Hahaha.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Spineur

It isnt the cover art that upsets me, it is the title.  What is liquid melancholy ?  Some glass of vodka, or is it a gin cocktail, a glass of port ?
After sampling, I found the music just as irritating and not melancholic at all.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Spineur on April 19, 2018, 12:48:17 PM

It isn't the cover art that upsets me, it is the title.  What is liquid melancholy?  Some glass of vodka, or is it a gin cocktail, a glass of port?
After sampling, I found the music just as irritating and not melancholic at all.

My general rule is: "If you don't understand it, it's art."

North Star

It isnt the cover art that upsets me, it is the title.  What is liquid melancholy ?  Some glass of vodka, or is it a gin cocktail, a glass of port ?
QuoteIn the early spring of 2011, as an effort to keep up with my eldest daughter's reading assignments, I joined her in the enjoyable task of reading Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451." I had read it as a teenager myself, but little did I remember all of the wonderful metaphorical phrases he incorporated in that book! One such phrase was "Liquid Melancholy" – when referring to sleep-inducing medication. I knew right then that if I ever had the opportunity to use that as a title, I would jump on it.

I've always been fascinated by the clarinet's ability to play such smooth and fluid lines, at all dynamic levels. This "liquidity" is something I wanted to highlight in this concerto. This is most evident in the 1st movement, when the clarinet is set against angular lines, first introduced by the solo cello. For the melancholy aspect, I wanted to write some searching music: some deeply personal and intimate music, a chance for the soloist and audience to relate and reflect upon what I put out there. This is the 2nd movement. The third and fourth movements are played without break – an accompanied cadenza followed by a wispy and light final scherzo.
https://composerjim.com/works/liquid-melancholy/
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

71 dB

I like that cover and "liquid melancholy" doesn't bother me at all.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Zeus

Quote from: André on March 16, 2018, 04:13:17 AM

Not bad looking, but a very peculiar choice of composers for a set devoted to russian piano concertos... ::)

Paderewski was even the Prime Minister of Poland at one point.

I see a dead body just barely visible under the ice.  Head upper right, elbow lower right, hips mid left.

A crime has been committed !!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: The Fish Knows... on April 20, 2018, 06:51:23 AM

I see a dead body just barely visible under the ice.  Head upper right, elbow lower right, hips mid left.

A crime has been committed !!

A dead body? Under ice? It's Nordic Noir!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: 71 dB on April 20, 2018, 05:19:40 AM
I like that cover and "liquid melancholy" doesn't bother me at all.

Me too.  I even like the music on it--although I agree with Spineur that the suite labeled "Liquid Melancholy" is not in the least melancholic. In fact, it is quite driving and aggressive.
It's all good...

TheGSMoeller

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on May 26, 2018, 08:17:18 PM
Jeepers.

I know. Here's info on the disc just in case anyone was thinking its a bad B&W photo I took and put "Bartok" on it using really lame font...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=127656

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 26, 2018, 08:20:05 PM
I know. Here's info on the disc just in case anyone was thinking its a bad B&W photo I took and put "Bartok" on it using really lame font...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=127656

And the "Bartók" has a drop shadow, which is something I haven't seen in years. (Drop shadows on text has been out of fashion for quite a while.)