Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on March 31, 2021, 06:47:36 AM
Cover art so horrible I need to convince myself it doesn't really exist outside my lunatic mind. Nobody posted this jpg of the cover here. I am just hallucinating it all. The reality can't produce albums cover art this horrible, images from hell.  >:D This doesn't exist, I am just hallucinating this because I am insane. Help me please! :o  :o

We are talking Czech heavy metal / hard rock here. No I haven't listened to any of it. ::)

Madiel

Nordic heavy metal I've heard about. Czech heavy metal is a new one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on April 01, 2021, 02:06:12 AM
Nordic heavy metal I've heard about.

Heavy metal is massive here in Finland. Most heavy metal bands per capita (53.2 per 100.000 people) in the World.  :P

https://finland.fi/arts-culture/now-trending-globally-finnish-metal-music/
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on April 01, 2021, 02:06:12 AM
Nordic heavy metal I've heard about. Czech heavy metal is a new one.

Quote from: 71 dB on April 01, 2021, 03:44:12 AM
Heavy metal is massive here in Finland. Most heavy metal bands per capita (53.2 per 100.000 people) in the World.  :P

https://finland.fi/arts-culture/now-trending-globally-finnish-metal-music/

During my college years I was a big heavy metal fan, my favorite bands being Metallica and Manowar. I grew my hair long, wore boots and leather jackets. (Yes, I really did!) Today, I would consider (consider, mind you, not decide) listening to one of their albums in its entirety only if paid.  ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

DavidW

I found this new releases on Qobuz.  It amused me.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on April 02, 2021, 06:05:21 PM

Yeah, that's pretty desperate. ::)

André

I submit this entry to the jury's appreciation:

I can live with the deletion of all accents in the title and performers' names. Normally we don't use them if the writing is in capital letters.

But there's worse, much worse. Dialogues has lost its plural s, and Carmélites has acquired an extra t. In the title !

Then there's the performers' names. Denise Duval has become male by virtue of the deletion of the final e, a common marker of the feminine genre in French. (Michel, Michèle, Denis, Denise, André, Andrée, Simon, Simone - etc.) So we get Denis. And poor Régine Crespin becomes Crispin. Very crispating.

The label's name is Mis. As in mispelling, misfortunate, miserable... ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on April 17, 2021, 08:58:54 AM

I can live with the deletion of all accents in the title and performers' names. Normally we don't use them if the writing is in capital letters.

But there's worse, much worse. Dialogues has lost its plural s, and Carmélites has acquired an extra t. In the title !

Then there's the performers' names. Denise Duval has become male by virtue of the deletion of the final e, a common marker of the feminine genre in French. (Michel, Michèle, Denis, Denise, André, Andrée, Simon, Simone - etc.) So we get Denis. And poor Régine Crespin becomes Crispin. Very crispating.

Ouch!  Haven't heard of that label before now.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 17, 2021, 10:06:22 AM
Ouch!  Haven't heard of that label before now.

PD

They'd be hard to find except for how Google guesses what you meant to type.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DaveF

Quote from: DavidW on April 02, 2021, 06:05:21 PM

And I was going to nominate that in the best artwork thread - although we Byrdians have been waiting for this recording for most of this century, so perhaps I'm not entirely impartial.  What do you find bad about it - the Byrd/bird pun? - because Byrd had to put up with a lot of those during his lifetime - "The Eagle", "Melodious Byrd", "Our Phoenix", "That miserable old Bustard" etc. etc.  But do please buy it - it's wonderful, and funding is needed for recordings of Byrd's other two English songbooks.  And if you download it from Qobuz (half price of anywhere else I've seen it), you won't even need to clutter up your shelves with terrible artwork  :D
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on April 18, 2021, 09:33:49 AM
And I was going to nominate that in the best artwork thread - although we Byrdians have been waiting for this recording for most of this century, so perhaps I'm not entirely impartial.  What do you find bad about it - the Byrd/bird pun? - because Byrd had to put up with a lot of those during his lifetime - "The Eagle", "Melodious Byrd", "Our Phoenix", "That miserable old Bustard" etc. etc.  But do please buy it - it's wonderful, and funding is needed for recordings of Byrd's other two English songbooks.  And if you download it from Qobuz (half price of anywhere else I've seen it), you won't even need to clutter up your shelves with terrible artwork  :D
Who called him those names?  Just curious.  I like Byrds, but must admit that I had mixed feelings when I first saw it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Alek Hidell

And what's too bad is, I really like the artwork and layout in general. The two fonts (especially for the title) are dubious, and the misspellings are unforgivable, but the overall idea is not bad at all. (I could also do without the "2 CD SET" in larger letters - if you must include that, make it smaller and incidental.)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

DaveF

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 18, 2021, 12:34:49 PM
Who called him those names?  Just curious.  I like Byrds, but must admit that I had mixed feelings when I first saw it.

PD

He was referred to by Henry Peacham in The Complete Gentleman of 1634:

For motets and music of piety and devotion as well for the honor of our nation as the merit of the man, I prefer above all other our phoenix, Mr. William Byrd...

John Baldwin, fellow composer and (more importantly for us today) hard-working copyist, apparently referred to him as "melodious Birde".  The eagle pun seems to have been in frequent use at the time.  And OK, I may have made the last pun up.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on April 18, 2021, 10:31:53 PM
He was referred to by Henry Peacham in The Complete Gentleman of 1634:

For motets and music of piety and devotion as well for the honor of our nation as the merit of the man, I prefer above all other our phoenix, Mr. William Byrd...

John Baldwin, fellow composer and (more importantly for us today) hard-working copyist, apparently referred to him as "melodious Birde".  The eagle pun seems to have been in frequent use at the time.  And OK, I may have made the last pun up.
Thanks!  :)

I cringed and felt for this poor gentleman when I first heard his name--and title:  Cardinal (Jaime) Sin.  Thankfully, he had a good sense of humor about it.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

Madiel

I can't assess the merits of that cover because I can't fit the damn thing on my screen.

Wanderer

Miserabile visu.

JBS

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 20, 2021, 05:00:46 PM

Quote from: Madiel on April 21, 2021, 02:14:33 AM
I can't assess the merits of that cover because I can't fit the damn thing on my screen.

Does that help?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk