Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: geralmar on July 08, 2022, 04:10:34 PM

My "imprint" and still favorite CB; but the recording quality is too dated to merit a recommendation.  Still hate the "collage" cover illustration however.

Incidentally, Ormndy's usual collaborative chorus, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, refused to participate in the recording because of objection to the risque Latin.  So the recording was done with the Rutgers University Choir--  a bunch of college kids.

Quite appropriate, given that back then in the Middle Ages the Carmina burana songs were sung precisely by... college kids.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

"In taberna quando sumus" would probably be almost as offensive for Mormons as "Si puer cum puellula moraretur in cellula - fe-he-he-he-he-helix coniunctio!" :D

And, as hard as it might be to believe, medieval and early modern students were actually worse than they are today. A student riot usually involved people getting killed (as everyone was wearing swords or knives).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on July 08, 2022, 11:43:11 PM
And, as hard as it might be to believe, medieval and early modern students were actually worse than they are today. A student riot usually involved people getting killed (as everyone was wearing swords or knives).

Not to mention the open, continuous warfare, both ideological and physical, between students and burghers, which incidentally gave rise to the abusive (and unfair) term "Philister". And it was not only a German phenomenon, as Hugo's Notre-Dame-de-Paris attests.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Biffo

"In taberna quando sumus" would probably be almost as offensive for Mormons as "Si puer cum puellula moraretur in cellula - fe-he-he-he-he-helix coniunctio!" :D

Berlioz used the German student song Gaudeamus igitur in The Damnation of Faust. The words are nowhere near as risqué as those of Carmina burana but when the work was performed in Germany Berlioz was vilified by a German critic for defaming virtuous German students!

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on July 09, 2022, 06:51:40 AM
Berlioz used the German student song Gaudeamus igitur in The Damnation of Faust. The words are nowhere near as risqué as those of Carmina burana but when the work was performed in Germany Berlioz was vilified by a German critic for defaming virtuous German students!

Well, our vices are always more virtuous and commendable than those of our neighbours.  ;D

JBS

Well the antepenultimate movement, Dulcissime, consists of the soprano singing an orgasm...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Quote from: Biffo on July 09, 2022, 06:51:40 AM
The 19th century students still wore sometimes swords but were pretty tame. Berlioz should have said that he was just setting the scenes from Goethe's Faust with the raucous crowd in Auerbach's Keller (pub). The satirical songs of the rat and the flea are actually by Goethe, not "traditional" ones, like Gaudeamus igitur

The Carmina Burana are really old (manuscript from ~1230s, many of the ~250 songs probably a century older) and were only found again in the early 19th century. The erotic settings included in Orff are supposedly not even the most explicit in the collection. And it's somewhat disputed that most of them were really student songs. Apparently many are too artful and sophisticated and were probably more "old boys' entertainment" reminiscing of their days of yore.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on July 09, 2022, 08:59:42 AM
The 19th century students still wore sometimes swords but were pretty tame. Berlioz should have said that he was just setting the scenes from Goethe's Faust with the raucous crowd in Auerbach's Keller (pub). The satirical songs of the rat and the flea are actually by Goethe, not "traditional" ones, like Gaudeamus igitur

The Carmina Burana are really old (manuscript from ~1230s, many of the ~250 songs probably a century older) and were only found again in the early 19th century. The erotic settings included in Orff are supposedly not even the most explicit in the collection. And it's somewhat disputed that most of them were really student songs. Apparently many are too artful and sophisticated and were probably more "old boys' entertainment" reminiscing of their days of yore.

The Damnation of Faust grew out an earlier work, Eight Scenes from Goethe's Faust, Op 1. When Berlioz expanded the work he added Gaudeamus igitur, a setting of the Racoczy March and verses of his own. He also changed Goethe's story considerably, most notably the ending where Faust gets dragged off to Hell as in the Faust Book and Christopher Marlowe's version of the Faust legend.

André

Quote from: JBS on July 09, 2022, 08:37:38 AM
Well the antepenultimate movement, Dulcissime, consists of the soprano singing an orgasm...

I was once tuttuted by John for describing that moment as the soprano creaming her panties  :laugh:

Scion7

Already posted?
Anyway:

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Peter Power Pop

SonicMan46

Peter Power Pop

Madiel

And yet, it still hurts my eyes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

pjme

Quote from: geralmar on August 10, 2022, 08:34:05 PM

I958

Big band collection.  But cover reminds me of syphillis chancre.

Francis Bay - that is Belgian youth sentimentality! He was the conductor of the BRT "amusementsorkest" and accompanied numerous Belgian singers at the Eurovison Songcontest.
https://www.youtube.com/v/uRR07k_md6Y

Irons

Quote from: pjme on August 12, 2022, 02:43:55 AM
Francis Bay - that is Belgian youth sentimentality! He was the conductor of the BRT "amusementsorkest" and accompanied numerous Belgian singers at the Eurovison Songcontest.
https://www.youtube.com/v/uRR07k_md6Y

I actually thought that rather good!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.