Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Fortunately the awful cover art wasn't an impediment to hear an interesting early String Quartet in B minor:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 29, 2022, 09:21:41 PM
Fortunately the awful cover art wasn't an impediment to hear an interesting early String Quartet in B minor:

Who knew that all those blurry photographs I took could have been the basis for art.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on September 29, 2022, 09:49:17 PM
Who knew that all those blurry photographs I took could have been the basis for art.
:laugh:  :)  Reminds me, I have a *bunch that I need to delete off of my phone and computer.  ::)

*And a number of various red-tailed hawks....very distant ones which I took in my early enthusiasm of them (including some with finger/thumb blocking part of the image).  :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

Seeing double:

JBS

Quadruple actually

Okay, 3.5 times since his hand is positioned differently in Los Angeles. Maybe it cramped up from being in a traffic jam on the freeway.

I'd presume they meant it as a visual unifier for the series. But using the same photo or. series of photos from the same shoot seems rather common.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 25, 2022, 02:42:32 PM
Seeing double:

Quote from: JBS on October 25, 2022, 04:32:10 PM
Quadruple actually

Okay, 3.5 times since his hand is positioned differently in Los Angeles. Maybe it cramped up from being in a traffic jam on the freeway.

I'd presume they meant it as a visual unifier for the series. But using the same photo or. series of photos from the same shoot seems rather common.

Fabulous. I didn't know that more photos from his photoshoot were used for other covers.

More Giulini!

Irons

For such a good looking man odd he had an aversion to having his photo taken.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Peter Power Pop

"Pucker up, baby, I'm about to start kissin'..."

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: geralmar on November 13, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Don't really care for that "peering out of a diving bell" look.

Also a little perplexing since Earth isn't one of Host's planets.

Plonking a huge image of Benny Britten in the middle of a Planets painting is weird. (Way to trash the reputation of the original painter, dudes.)

Irons

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 13, 2022, 02:24:33 PM
Plonking a huge image of Benny Britten in the middle of a Planets painting is weird. (Way to trash the reputation of the original painter, dudes.)

I'm surprised Dutton came up with such a daft cover.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 11, 2022, 09:49:31 PM
"Pucker up, baby, I'm about to start kissin'..."

I agree. It looks like Eduard Van Beinum is struggling with a hot potato in his mouth.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on November 13, 2022, 11:41:38 PM

Aaargh, where do you start with that one?  Not an impossibly bad pic of VW, although his ears appear to have been severed and their tissue used to bulk out his nose - but why Symphony no.8 in 'D' minor?  And whose is it - VW's, Bax's or Butterworth's - or did they all write one, or perhaps collaborate on the one work?

My own modest contribution:

Beautiful picture (can't go wrong with Norwich cathedral) - but another font failure - the composers' names are up there in the vault somewhere.  (On the real physical product they are even less legible.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Scion7

That Hovhaness cover is a tragedy - good grief.  Couldn't the bloody photographer take his time for a decent angle?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: DaveF on November 14, 2022, 01:00:35 AM

Beautiful picture (can't go wrong with Norwich cathedral) - but another font failure - the composers' names are up there in the vault somewhere.  (On the real physical product they are even less legible.)

That's an impressively bad cover. It's the kind of cover that gives you a headache when you try to read the text.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 14, 2022, 02:35:24 PM
That's an impressively bad cover. It's the kind of cover that gives you a headache when you try to read the text.
Yep!  The bottom writing is fine, but trying to read the composers' names is difficult.  Pretty picture though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

The RVW and Hovhaness drawings/photographs are ugly and awkward. Cheap quick design .

Hovhaness as a Guggenheim felow

This formal studio portrait has been used often

Two famous portraits of RVW are responsible for the awful copies/variations

all by Sir Gerald Kelly (1879 - 1972)

https://museumcollections.rcm.ac.uk/collection/Details/collect/29

Some photographs from the family archives show a gentler face...

pjme

Anyhow, over the years, poor RVW's craggy face hasn't been captured well....

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on November 14, 2022, 01:00:35 AM
Aaargh, where do you start with that one?  Not an impossibly bad pic of VW, although his ears appear to have been severed and their tissue used to bulk out his nose - but why Symphony no.8 in 'D' minor?  And whose is it - VW's, Bax's or Butterworth's - or did they all write one, or perhaps collaborate on the one work?

LOL at your VW 'nose graft' suggestion.

vandermolen

The VW Symphony No.9 Everest LP drawing is pretty bad.

Here's another VW cover. The composer had clearly been using his 'Lunar Surface Moisturising Cream':