Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

I've tried and tried (and tried), but...

I just don't get it.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 23, 2014, 03:28:23 PM

I just don't get it.

It looks like he just pooped a scooter.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Moonfish

I just don't get it.

Even dogs listen to Debussy & Ravel?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brian

Ken B would say that Debussy and Ravel are the dogs.

Todd

I just don't get it.

An ear opening experience?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 23, 2014, 04:46:19 PM
It looks like he just pooped a scooter.

He he. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks, Perceptive Dancing Divertimentian.

Quote from: Moonfish on December 23, 2014, 05:07:19 PM
Even dogs listen to Debussy & Ravel?

Quite possibly.

Quote from: Todd on December 23, 2014, 05:16:16 PM
An ear opening experience?

Hmmm. I think we're entering bad pun territory*...

(*And no, that word isn't an excuse for someone to say "terrier-tory" just because Moonfish mentioned dogs.)

Rinaldo

I just don't get it.

Me neither, but I quite like it. Actually one of the best covers I've seen.

Ken B

Quote from: Rinaldo on December 25, 2014, 01:05:23 AM
Me neither, but I quite like it. Actually one of the best covers I've seen.
Yes, there's nothing to get. It's appealing. I wonder if they have a series of such covers.
Glossa has several series with gorgeous flower sketches etc.

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 22, 2014, 10:28:12 PM
I found it elsewhere.

Now you can see it. And not unsee it.

I have no wish to unsee it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Ahhh...I love the smell of my own name...

All credit for this find to 71 dB:

Quote from: 71 dB on January 07, 2015, 12:15:36 PM
Fabulous sonics maybe, but the cover art is ugly. Boult is sniffing his own name. Word "conducts" looks ridiculous. The colours are hidious, Holst must be sick since he is so green/yellow. Who designs these?  ::)
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2015, 01:01:46 PM

Ahhh...I love the smell of my own name...

All credit for this find to 71 dB:

Fabulous sonics maybe, but the cover art is ugly. Boult is sniffing his own name. Word "conducts" looks ridiculous. The colours are hidious, Holst must be sick since he is so green/yellow. Who designs these?  ::)

All the cover designer had to do was:

• Move the photo of Adrian to the left a bit so his head ended up centered between the left edge of the cover and the left edge of the first "Boult"; and

• Not alter the colour of Gustav's photo. (I think that colour could be described as "bilious".)

I just noticed something: the word "conducts" is in a black box. That's some shoddy work there, cover designer.

Oh, and this is purely personal taste, but I would have preferred the titles of the work and the names of the orchestras to be all capital letters, as opposed to what they are there (known as "sentence case").

But overall, I think the cover could have been improved enormously with just a few little adjustments.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Peter Power Pop

Fabulous sonics maybe, but the cover art is ugly. Boult is sniffing his own name. Word "conducts" looks ridiculous. The colours are hidious, Holst must be sick since he is so green/yellow.

With a bit of modification...

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 22, 2014, 10:28:12 PM
I found it elsewhere.

Now you can see it. And not unsee it.

Not sure what's supposed to be wrong with this CD cover. It's playing to its audience and is not inappropriate for a cover of disco megamixes.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on January 12, 2015, 11:52:10 PM
Not sure what's supposed to be wrong with this CD cover. It's playing to its audience and is not inappropriate for a cover of disco megamixes.

I thought the original poster of that cover was shocked because there was a buffed dude advertising classical music. Now that I'm looking at the text (something I hadn't done earlier), I can see that it has nothing to do with classical music.

I'm with you. What's the problem*?

(*Apart from Santa not looking the way he usually does. I recognise the hat, but the rest...)

Ken B

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 13, 2015, 12:21:36 PM
I thought the original poster of that cover was shocked because there was a buffed dude advertising classical music. Now that I'm looking at the text (something I hadn't done earlier), I can see that it has nothing to do with classical music.

I'm with you. What's the problem*?

(*Apart from Santa not looking the way he usually does. I recognise the hat, but the rest...)

This was a discussion following the Col Sanders album. What was the problem with Colonel Sanders? That wasn't a classical album either. If you can find the colonel cover tacky, despite its appropriteness for the target audience, why can't I find Chippendale Santa tacky?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Ken B on January 13, 2015, 02:18:19 PM
This was a discussion following the Col Sanders album. What was the problem with Colonel Sanders? That wasn't a classical album either. If you can find the colonel cover tacky, despite its appropriteness for the target audience, why can't I find Chippendale Santa tacky?

No reason at all. I find it very un-Christmassy too. It reminds me of all those "Sexy Santa" costumes that are available, all of which make me go "Huh?" Since when did Christmas become "sexy"? (Hint: Since it was discovered there was money to be made in it.)

André

As long as they don't sing "Jingle Balls", it seems fine to me  ;)

Wendell_E

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 13, 2015, 12:21:36 PM

Like this one?

there was a sequel:

I liked these covers.  Not enough to buy the CDs, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Classics/dp/B000003FY3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421237502&sr=8-1&keywords=out+classics

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Classics-2-Stepping/dp/B000003G16/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1421237566&sr=8-10&keywords=out+classics+2
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Wendell_E on January 14, 2015, 03:10:35 AM
Like this one?

there was a sequel:

I liked these covers.  Not enough to buy the CDs, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Classics/dp/B000003FY3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421237502&sr=8-1&keywords=out+classics

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Classics-2-Stepping/dp/B000003G16/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1421237566&sr=8-10&keywords=out+classics+2

The only problem I have with those albums is they're very bitty (i.e., having bits of classical music on them, instead of full works).

However, if I'm going to get picky (and I am), in the top cover I'd move the word "Out" a little to the right so it's more centred on the arm. (Record producer to graphic designers: "Hey guys, can you make it look like a tattoo?")

And in the bottom cover I'm not pleased the lady in the right photo had the top of her head cut off.

But back to the top cover. I'm a fan of black-and-white photography, and think that's a good photo (the wet skin and curves of the muscles are well-lit, and it's well-framed).

For me, the bottom cover's a bit of a mess – one photo's in focus, the other's out of focus (and blurred), and the three fonts aren't harmonious at all – but it's all down to personal choice.