Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Wow! Stock of Astroglide went up 10% overnight? but how?... oh ::)

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 24, 2015, 08:00:42 PM
Some room to breathe, please.

Wow, that's the busiest cover I've seen in quite a while.

(A part of me is thinking Bernie's pointing at the graphic designer who came up with that cover. "You. Yes, you. Come here. I want to have a word with you about that cover...")

Peter Power Pop

The album designer: "I have so many ideas for this cover – and I'm going to use them all!"

North Star

One detail worth mentioning is Haitink's forehead in that cover :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on January 24, 2015, 09:03:13 PM
One detail worth mentioning is Haitink's forehead in that cover :D

I didn't even notice the top of his head was missing. I was too confused by everything else to see it (not being there). Thanks for spotting that, North Star.

André

A sight of Haitink's forehead is worth a hundred baton indications  ;)

Peter Power Pop

I thought of two possibilities when I saw this cover:

1. Claudio's head was superimposed on the rest of the image.

or

2. The album designers were trying to make Claudio look like The Devil.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 25, 2015, 02:11:10 PM

Quote from: George on January 25, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
or

3. In exchange for his services, Philips bought Arrau a lifetime membership at a local tanning salon.

Unfortunately, that tanning salon turned Claudio into a lobster.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 25, 2015, 04:33:10 PM
Unfortunately, that tanning salon turned Claudio into a lobster.

:D Indeed, it is hardly a good advertisement. For those of you who know American legislators, Arrau looks here like he went to the John Boehner School for Tans. Somewhat off-putting, I must say, that glow-in-the-dark kumquat look.  ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Moonfish

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 25, 2015, 05:10:37 PM
:D Indeed, it is hardly a good advertisement. For those of you who know American legislators, Arrau looks here like he went to the John Boehner School for Tans. Somewhat off-putting, I must say, that glow-in-the-dark kumquat look.  ::)

8)

No wonder! It says on the cover that he is imported from Europe!  >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 25, 2015, 02:11:10 PM

Quote from: Moonfish on January 25, 2015, 05:46:53 PM
No wonder! It says on the cover that he is imported from Europe!  >:D

He certainly is. That "Imported from Europe" badge is even on his jacket. And there's something I didn't know: Claudio was made in the Netherlands.

EigenUser

I absolutely love Feldman (including the piece in this recording), but this cover is truly atrocious. The combination of the background color and long coat makes him look like, well... a pimp.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on January 26, 2015, 12:10:00 AM
I absolutely love Feldman (including the piece in this recording), but this cover is truly atrocious.
Hah, beat me by two seconds. Feldman in da club...  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on January 26, 2015, 12:11:11 AM
Hah, beat me by two seconds. Feldman in da club...  ::)
You were going to post this, too? Hahaha...
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Peter Power Pop

I absolutely love Feldman (including the piece in this recording), but this cover is truly atrocious. The combination of the background color and long coat makes him look like, well... a pimp.

Or a spy.

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

Artem

It is very rare to see a Morton Feldman cover that isn't black and white. As far as background, I'm sure they were trying to match it with the color of his shirt. However, I've never thought of Morton Feldman as a pink shirt type of guy.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Artem on January 26, 2015, 04:41:00 PM
It is very rare to see a Morton Feldman cover that isn't black and white. As far as background, I'm sure they were trying to match it with the color of his shirt. However, I've never thought of Morton Feldman as a pink shirt type of guy.

I also never thought of Morton appearing as shabby as any composer has ever appeared on a classical music album cover. What on Earth was the cover designer thinking when he/she chose that photo of him?

That really is an unflattering photo of a composer. It almost looks as if he was photographed coming out of a seedy establishment. ("Hey, what'd you take that photo for? I'm meant to be incognito.")

But the more I look at the cover, the more I think it's a mini-Morton Feldman swizzle stick floating in an enormous raspberry-flavoured slushy.