Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

This was many years before she became Ms Rattle. She looked quite stunning then on some pictures so I wonder why some others like the one above do not show her at her best. Usually those covers will make even rather ordinary looking people appear very handsome.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Moonfish on June 06, 2015, 12:03:16 AM
Hmmmm....

The pose would work if he were in a toga, surrounded by scantily-clad slaves Sibelius, bearing platters of fruit and goblets of wine.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Jo498 on June 06, 2015, 12:57:06 AM
I don't know if we had this (not going through 100 pages) but they look extremely uncomfortable.

[asin]B00004YZ35[/asin]

Going by the shadows and catchlights, it appears the key light is just off camera axis. And there's no fill. While that can be effective it depends upon the application and as shown here sometimes results in the model/whoever appearing uncomfortable. We call it 'a custard pie of light in the face'.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: NikF on June 06, 2015, 04:16:24 AM
Going by the shadows and catchlights, it appears the key light is just off camera axis. And there's no fill. While that can be effective it depends upon the application and as shown here sometimes results in the model/whoever appearing uncomfortable. We call it 'a custard pie of light in the face'.

The combination of that lighting and the looks on their faces does neither of them any favours. (Especially the look on Marc's face. It's just... there's nothing there. No expression.)

Why did either of them agree to that particular photo for the cover? Weren't there any better ones from the photo session? Or did they just turn up for one photo?

Madiel

Their body positions hardly look comfortable either.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2015, 08:57:21 PM
Don't donate this one to the suicide prevention clinic. Zowie.

:) ;D :laugh:  Don't show it to Robert, that's fer sure.

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2015, 03:01:22 AM
Not me. I'd rather see conductor Giuseppe Sinopoli standing next to Gil, extending a hand and saying, "Here, let me help you up."
And if I was the photographer, I would wait until Gil and his violin were safely up before even removing the lens cap.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on June 06, 2015, 12:03:16 AM
Hmmmm....

Photoshop that Argerich photo looking down at him ...

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on June 06, 2015, 02:56:30 AM
Well alright. I know how to fix it: replace Shaham with Hilary Hahn, Alina Ibragimova or Julia Fischer.  0:)

So true, Karlo! We wouldn't even notice if the violinists you mentioned were in his place. There certainly has been numerous cd covers with beautiful young women lately (esp. violinists and pianists).
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I think Sinopoli really likes himself quite a bit......

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Ken B on June 06, 2015, 01:32:23 PM
Photoshop that Argerich photo looking down at him ...

Can do:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on June 06, 2015, 01:37:32 PM
I think Sinopoli really likes himself quite a bit......

I think it was more a case of the record label pushing for Giuseppe to be another "star" conductor (think Karajan), where the star's face is plastered on every cover possible. I reckon The Big G probably had no say in it.

Of all those covers, I think this one is the most gruesome:

Four Sinopolis? There aren't even that many composers on the album. I could understand if there was one Sinopoli per composer, but four Sinopolis for two composers?

And another thing... (sorry to go on like this)

With the Helicon Classics logo on that cover, is that a tuning fork or a menorah? Or is it a tuning fork inside a menorah?

Moonfish

I never liked this cover....   >:(    Did the designer forget his glasses at home that day?

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2015, 04:44:44 PM
I think it was more a case of the record label pushing for Giuseppe to be another "star" conductor (think Karajan), where the star's face is plastered on every cover possible. I reckon The Big G probably had no say in it.

Of all those covers, I think this one is the most gruesome:

Four Sinopolis? There aren't even that many composers on the album. I could understand if there was one Sinopoli per composer, but four Sinopolis for two composers?

And another thing... (sorry to go on like this)

With the Helicon Classics logo on that cover, is that a tuning fork or a menorah? Or is it a tuning fork inside a menorah?

Gruesome indeed!  I guess it qualifies as a pathetic attempt at cubism?
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

And one more thing... (here we go again)

I just noticed those utterly ordinary (i.e., non-"star") objects behind Giuseppe in the photos. Why didn't the graphic designer simply remove them? Like this...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 06, 2015, 04:10:58 AM
The pose would work if he were in a toga, surrounded by scantily-clad slaves Sibelius, bearing platters of fruit and goblets of wine.

Sarge

:laugh:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on June 06, 2015, 06:01:22 PM
I never liked this cover....   >:(    Did the designer forget his glasses at home that day?

There's a whole series of those Decca Ovation pixelated covers. They came from the mid-'80s.

Here's another one:

Ugh.

Update: Some of those pixelated covers were featured in this thread some time ago. I'll see if I can find them.

Update 2: Found them. Here, here, here, and here.

These were the covers mentioned (the demon drummer boy made two appearances):

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 18, 2014, 11:12:33 PM
Pixelation, eh?

How about this?

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 19, 2014, 02:22:15 AM

Holy Crap! Pixelated demon drummer-boy!

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 19, 2014, 05:14:54 PM

Quote from: Jo498 on October 19, 2014, 09:54:37 AM
the demon drummer boy surely takes the prize; ...

I think this one is worse:

And this:

Maybe not this:

But it's still pretty gruesome.

Quote from: Jo498 on October 19, 2014, 09:54:37 AM... I couldn't believe that it was an original cover...

Yes indeed. Decca Ovation was a series started in the mid-'80s, and the first batch proudly featured pixelated images. Discogs has a list of them here.

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 19, 2014, 05:37:27 PM

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 19, 2014, 05:29:27 PM
I had/have the demon drummer Berlioz CD, but I do not remember it being so pixelated.  Perhaps they redid the cover at some point.

Nope. This is the original cover:

Moonfish

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2015, 06:19:37 PM
There's a whole series of those Decca Ovation pixelated covers. They came from the mid-'80s.

Here's another one:

Ugh.

Those pixelated covers were featured in this thread some time ago. I'll see if I can find them.

Update: Found them.

Here, here, and here. These were the covers mentioned:

It is bizarre that pixelated images were remotely popular..!
Anna Lappé