Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Quote from: Jo498 on June 16, 2015, 10:42:47 PMDid we have these already? (the first one is by far the worst)

[asin]B0000064X2[/asin]

[asin]B0000064X1[/asin]

The last one is good. The first.. well, if it was a boss character from Dark Souls, I'd commend its design.

Jo498

I agree that the last one does not really deserve "worst" (although I cannot say that I particularly like it, it is by FAR the best of those 3). They are probably not original Rhinemaiden costumes from an actual production but it would work.

Of Rattle's Jazz Album I find the original cover funny but the best and most appropriate is the CfP reissue. The two others are IMO worse than the original.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jo498 on June 17, 2015, 03:14:15 AM
Of Rattle's Jazz Album I find the original cover funny but the best and most appropriate is the CfP reissue. The two others are IMO worse than the original.

The "Rattle" text for the 2006 cover hurts my head in a big way.

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 17, 2015, 02:24:02 AM

[Shudder]

Jo498

I fully agree. I have rather poor eyes despite glasses and if such big letters somehow get out of focus it makes me dizzy.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jo498 on June 17, 2015, 03:14:15 AM
Of Rattle's Jazz Album I find the original cover funny but the best and most appropriate is the CfP reissue.

My choice too. Nice cover.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 17, 2015, 04:27:47 AM
The "Rattle" text for the 2006 cover hurts my head in a big way.

What's the visual equivalent of onomatopoeia?

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Quote from: Jo498 on June 16, 2015, 10:42:47 PMDid we have these already? (the first one is by far the worst)
[asin]B0000064X2[/asin]

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2007, 10:14:15 AM

Looks just as bad eight years later.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: orfeo on June 17, 2015, 05:39:54 AM
What's the visual equivalent of onomatopoeia?

Probably that. (And it didn't even occur to me that may have been what the graphic designer was thinking when he or she unleashed that ghastly text effect on the unsuspecting viewer.)

But for me, instead of "rattle" it's more a case of "shake violently".

PerfectWagnerite

Looks like they are from the movie Hellraiser. PinHead is going to kick their asses.

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 17, 2015, 01:11:54 AM
I do, too. Perfect for the piece. Except at first glance I thought he was on a surfboard, not a magic carpet.
Perfect for when The Beach Boys record it!

Peter Power Pop

Here's some more Wagner / Edo de Waart nonsense:

I'm guessing that's Edo on the cover there (twice). Is he Tristan and Isolde? Why not add another Edo in the top or bottom right corner, and he can be Siegfried as well?

And the record company does it again with another disc in their Wagner series:

And then they do a weird dual-Edo thing on this disc:

I didn't see those two Edos on first viewing. When I finally noticed it I did a double take. (Boom Tish!)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: EigenUser on June 17, 2015, 01:11:54 AM
...at first glance I thought he was on a surfboard, not a magic carpet.

Quote from: Ken B on June 17, 2015, 04:28:03 PM
Perfect for when The Beach Boys record it!

"And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til the Sultan takes that lady away..."

Dancing Divertimentian

The ship is sinking but the band plays on...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 19, 2015, 08:42:19 PM

Wow. That's... that's...

I can't think of a word to describe that cover.

I keep thinking the band is going to slide off the bottom of the photo.

Who on Earth decided it was a good idea to rotate the photo of an entire orchestra?

Wow.

Peter Power Pop

I thought if I rotated the photo so it was horizontal that might fix the problem – but it's just as bad:

Peter Power Pop

Changing the photo of the orchestra (to another one of the same orchestra) helps – but a problem with the replacement photo is the size of the orchestra and the pianist (is there a piano part in Bruckner's Eighth Symphony?):

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 19, 2015, 10:16:38 PM...but a problem with the replacement photo is the size of the orchestra and the pianist (is there a piano part in Bruckner's Eighth Symphony?):

Only in the long discredited Schalk edition  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

I am fine with it.the
To me it looks like the photographer was perched on the mezzanine box next to the proscenium.  It looks odd because we do not usually sit there when/if we attend concerts.

Ken B

Yes, it has a Titanic feel to it!