Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 16, 2015, 09:03:00 PM
"Excellent...this blue tile is perfect for the bath..."

Excellent.

It sure does look like he's sitting on the edge of a bath.

SimonNZ

And how about the NSFW live '73 Solti Carmen?:

(excuse it, fixed the code so we could see it.
Gurn  8)  )

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 17, 2015, 02:18:47 PM
And how about the NSFW live '73 Solti Carmen?:

What?

Someone thought that was a fine cover?

("I am Georg Solti, and my name is associated with the highest of all the art forms – and thoroughly naked women with gloves pointing at the rude bits.")

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 17, 2015, 03:29:56 PM
What?

("I am Georg Solti, and my name is associated with the highest of all the art forms – and thoroughly naked women with gloves pointing at the rude bits.")

I have to admit, it's a different take on 'sexy'. Something about the gloves kinda creeps me out. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 17, 2015, 03:29:56 PM
What?

There is not much wrong with that cover beyond the fact it requires parental consent, but that whole series specializes in hallucinatory cover art, not all of it safe for work, and some of it not safe before bedtime.
https://www.allegro-music.com/opd/index_zzz.asp#grandtier

kishnevi

If the Carmen cover is okay, then presumably I can post this

And ask what the artwork has to do with the opera.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 17, 2015, 05:23:28 PM
There is not much wrong with that cover beyond the fact it requires parental consent, but that whole series specializes in hallucinatory cover art, not all of it safe for work, and some of it not safe before bedtime.

Wow! That is some very cool cover art. The guy has an eye fetish, I note. Well, WTF, so do I.  :) 

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 17, 2015, 05:29:07 PM
If the Carmen cover is okay, then presumably I can post this

And ask what the artwork has to do with the opera.

That is true of most of them. I figured if I knew the story better I might understand, but maybe not...

8)

Gurn Blanston

Speaking of bad covers, which I think we were, I wonder if it is just me who thinks this covers totally sucks eggs?

In addition to the lack of unity and relevance, I have always been irritated by the near invisibility of the writing. That isn't a defect in my scanner, it actually IS that hard to see/read.  >:(

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 17, 2015, 05:50:48 PM
Speaking of bad covers, which I think we were, I wonder if it is just me who thinks this covers totally sucks eggs?

In addition to the lack of unity and relevance, I have always been irritated by the near invisibility of the writing. That isn't a defect in my scanner, it actually IS that hard to see/read.  >:(

8)

Musicians musicianing against a background that suggests Salzburg, where it was recorded.... The only WTF element is the blue circle spray painted around the violinist.

Of course, that by itself is a rather big piece of WTF.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 17, 2015, 05:50:48 PM

8)

I think that's horrible.

Here are the front and back covers as scanned by blogger "Radio Me la Sudas":

That back cover's just as bad as the front.

In addition to those ink splotches (or whatever they are), I'm not at all keen on those drawings. And the background. Pretty much all of it, really.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 17, 2015, 05:23:28 PM

I just had a look at the page, and I think the artist has a thing for Magritte.

SimonNZ

Just discovered, while searching for something else:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 17, 2015, 09:46:49 PM
Just discovered, while searching for something else:

Unfortunately, this is the largest version of that cover I can find:

SimonNZ

Just finished reading this wonderful thread.

Here's one you don't have yet:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 18, 2015, 12:10:04 AM
Just finished reading this wonderful thread.

Here's one you don't have yet:

Wow.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 18, 2015, 12:39:34 AM
Wow.

Yup. Its actually a fascinating, wacky recording, in light of which you can see what they were trying for on the cover: the folly of dilettantish cultural appropriation by Euros of Asian cultures. But they didn't quite get that message across.

PerfectWagnerite

Don't about worst looking but does anyone else see the similarities:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 18, 2015, 05:28:05 AM

Here's a nice big cover of Uncle Pete in his dinner jacket:

Incidentally, from another angle I'd say Igor also looks like...

Igor Markevitch

Dan Castellaneta

https://www.youtube.com/v/Mgi3LADYTME

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 18, 2015, 01:28:16 AM
Yup. Its actually a fascinating, wacky recording, in light of which you can see what they were trying for on the cover: the folly of dilettantish cultural appropriation by Euros of Asian cultures. But they didn't quite get that message across.

All I got from it was an image of a hippie who had gone a bit too hippie as a result of smoking way too many, er, herbal cigarettes.