Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Great recordings, but I've always hated these covers:

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 27, 2015, 02:11:03 PM

I must say those don't trouble me but I've a wide range of tolerance for the abstract; music is, after all, more abstract than most listeners care (dare?) to admit.  So, ironically, those covers may be more 'representative' of the music contained therein than pretty pastoral or 'realistic' domestic scenes, however pleasing to the eye.  Also, I like (well. I do most of the time) designers' efforts to kindle consumer attn. to this music.

Peter Power Pop

I think those photos are more scientific than Haydnesque. (I'd be happy to see them on the walls of a laboratory. They'd fit in well there.)

SimonNZ

I think its more the black and the seemingly random placement that bothers me. I don't mind the abstractness of an electron microscope image (or whatever that is), but if they'd made one detail the whole image it would have worked better. Something like the back cover of Peter Gabriel's Passion album:

but those Haydn ones make me feel like I'm about to see an enlarged bedbug crawling into view.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 27, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
I think its more the black and the seemingly random placement that bothers me. I don't mind the abstractness of an electron microscope image (or whatever that is), but if they'd made one detail the whole image it would have worked better.

I agree.

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 27, 2015, 03:32:33 PMSomething like the back cover of Peter Gabriel's Passion album:

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 27, 2015, 03:32:33 PMbut those Haydn ones make me feel like I'm about to see an enlarged bedbug crawling into view.

I know where you're coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Yw5i-PVLMVY

71 dB

Really? I think these covers are pretty good. The one on the right is the worst of the three but even it is ok. 0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mookalafalas

Quote from: 71 dB on August 30, 2015, 01:27:20 AM
Really? I think these covers are pretty good. The one on the right is the worst of the three but even it is ok. 0:)

Me too.  They even seem representational of music--sort of odd colorful shapes that bloom in the emptiness of silence.  Was it Goethe who called architecture frozen music?  But of course it would be too regimented and symmetrical...
   This is one of a similar series

[asin]B00O29YA6U[/asin]
It's all good...

SimonNZ

^That's an interesting series for comparison. I think the Phi label's Herreweghe covers are very tastefully done, and will have to ponder more on where I think the difference lies.

Artem

They don't look too good on computer screen, but are great in relief. I like them.

Brian

Would be a great cover except for LEOND BERNSTEIN

springrite

Quote from: Brian on September 15, 2015, 11:09:41 AM
Would be a great cover except for LEOND BERNSTEIN

Well, could have been Glenn God...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

Brilliant Classics clearly hates Boulez and tries to get people to try forget they ever heard of him.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SimonNZ

I don't know Erik Bosgraaf, but a quick Google images search suggests he's trying especially hard to not be taken seriously:

Brian

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on September 24, 2015, 05:50:21 PM

I like it. It makes and odd sort of sense to me, after an initial WTF moment, because one of the key themes of the Orpheus story is about him being forbidden to look back.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kishnevi

I am trying to figure out what this cover is showing, and failing.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 05, 2015, 06:26:32 PM
I am trying to figure out what this cover is showing, and failing.

Took me a minute but it's the head of a cat in profile (tip of nose on right).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 05, 2015, 06:30:35 PM
Took me a minute but it's the head of a cat in profile (tip of nose on right).

Alright, I stared at it until I saw what you mean.
There seems to be a bird in there, which ties into Vogel als Prophet.  But what does a psychedelic feline have to do with Kreisleriana?

Todd

Don't know if this has been posted before.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 05, 2015, 06:44:43 PM
But what does a psychedelic feline have to do with Kreisleriana?

Kreisler is a "fanciful" conductor in an E.T.A. Hoffmann fictional short story...err, with truncated title, The Tomcat Murr. Here's a Wiki article.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach