Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 30, 2016, 07:54:02 PM
Egad!*

That text is all sorts of bad.

I'm with you, Big J, about the pointlessness of the Greek lettering. Why all those sigmas? What's going on thƩrƩ? Why bothƩr?

I'm also with you, The Jeffster, about the "Ode In Memory Of Lenin" text. I think it looks dreadful.

And why have the "a"s in "Fantasy" without their horizontal lines? Is it meant to look Russian? Is it Russian? (I don't know the Russian alphabet.)

Oh, and the weird "A" that starts "Armenian". What is that?

(*Sorry about the swearing.)

PS: I just noticed the lowercase "a" in the orchestra's name. Why?

PPS: And the lowercase "r" in the conductor's name. Grrr.

The Greek letter lambda (L) is substituted for A in Fantasy.
The letter delta (D) is that first A in Armenian.

If you read the composer's name as written in Cyrillic it would come out something like Kndsndtchyaidye.  I don't think that is how he pronounced it.
On further look, Armenian is not being abused.  Only two alphabets were harmed in the making of this cover.

amw

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 30, 2016, 07:54:02 PM
Egad!*

That text is all sorts of bad.
Ah, of course! Kndsndtcyaidi's Fde in Memfyach ff Leyiy. Not to mention the delightful Fsstivs Posm, Grssting Ovsrturs, Lsrmontov Suits, and Russiln Flntlsy, all in the powerful interpretation of the Dyameyian Rnilnayamonis Oyasnestyaa conducted by the great Logis Tjekidnogidi. How could I have forgotten?

Parsifal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2016, 07:09:22 PM
Not content with abusing the Cyrillic and Armenian alphabets, they also torture the Greek alphabet for no discernible reason.

And the conductor is...Loris Tjeknivorian?  How is that supposed to be legible?
Oh my god, that is idiotic.  They have arbitrarily substituted foreign characters that look like Roman characters even when they don't sound alike. Lenin's name is particularly absurd. For the n's they have substituted a Cyrillic Й, which is actually a vowel that is close to the English y. The "n" sound in russian is represented by a letter that looks like H. (н).

For the proper cyrillic representation of Lenin, see his famous tomb.

Stupidity of this order is enough to put me off ASV permanently. How can you trust these morons to do anything right?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: amw on April 30, 2016, 09:18:37 PM
Ah, of course! Kndsndtcyaidi's Fde in Memfyach ff Leyiy. Not to mention the delightful Fsstivs Posm, Grssting Ovsrturs, Lsrmontov Suits, and Russiln Flntlsy, all in the powerful interpretation of the Dyameyian Rnilnayamonis Oyasnestyaa conducted by the great Logis Tjekidnogidi. How could I have forgotten?

Thanks, AMW, for making me laugh out loud.

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2016, 07:09:22 PM

And the conductor is...Loris Tjeknivorian?  How is that supposed to be legible?

OMG!!!!!!

Thread winner hands down. As a dilettante linguist I take personal offense at it.  ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Abuelo Igor

Let's burn all copies right this instant!  :P Too bad it's actually an album of interest because of the rarity of the works performed...
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Madiel

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2016, 08:05:01 PM
On further look, Armenian is not being abused.  Only two alphabets were harmed in the making of this cover.

That's because if they used the Armenian alphabet, readers of the Latin alphabet wouldn't be able to comprehend it. They had to go with letters that looked enough like Latin ones for people to go "oh how witty".

Ugh. I'm with everyone else in thinking it's pretty terrible.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Parsifal

The out-of-focus photograph is supposed to be artistic?

[asin]B00KJ3VVV0[/asin]

Or supposed to indicate the performances are vague and unfocused?

Put me off the recording.

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on May 28, 2016, 09:35:34 AM
The out-of-focus photograph is supposed to be artistic?

[asin]B00KJ3VVV0[/asin]

Or supposed to indicate the performances are vague and unfocused?

Put me off the recording.

I think the idea here might be that it adds three-dimensionality... she's behind the inscription, which is 'in focus'. Incidentally not a bad cycle!

Madiel

Also it makes it softer and calmer.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Parsifal

Quote from: orfeo on May 28, 2016, 06:41:11 PM
Also it makes it softer and calmer.

A properly focused photograph of a woman's face is not "soft and calm" enough to represent Beethoven's Piano Sonatas?

The horror!

Madiel

Quote from: Scarpia on May 29, 2016, 05:30:01 PM
A properly focused photograph of a woman's face is not "soft and calm" enough to represent Beethoven's Piano Sonatas?

The horror!

Sigh. Yes, let's pick a black and white photograph with an out of focus background and use that as some kind of comparison. It is not remotely the same kind of image. Not least because the camera technology has a lifetime's worth of difference.

You really dislike the cover. The two people who've bothered to respond don't agree with you. We're not going to validate your opinion, so just get over it and move on.

Parsifal

It's my opinion, it doesn't require your validation.

Madiel

Then why are you arguing about it? The only reason I replied a second time is because you felt the need to mount an attack on MY opinion.

The new erato

I didn't think it particularly succesfull, but noe jawdroppingly awful either. But I wonder about the idea of giving us a portrait of the artist (OK concept for a cover) and then giving us a useless one.

Parsifal

Quote from: The new erato on May 29, 2016, 10:51:11 PM
I didn't think it particularly succesfull, but noe jawdroppingly awful either. But I wonder about the idea of giving us a portrait of the artist (OK concept for a cover) and then giving us a useless one.

My thinking is along those lines. A portrait, done well, can give a sense of the character of the subject. What does that blurry thing give a sense of. The only thing that catches my eye is the mole.

Parsifal

Quote from: orfeo on May 29, 2016, 10:12:46 PM
Then why are you arguing about it? The only reason I replied a second time is because you felt the need to mount an attack on MY opinion.

One can't disagree without "mounting an attack?"

Madiel

Quote from: Scarpia on May 30, 2016, 12:20:40 AM
One can't disagree without "mounting an attack?"

One can. One doesn't do that with the kind of sarcasm you used.

André

Peace  0:) . A 'worst cover' thread is not really worth any amount of bad blood, is it ?

Parsifal