Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

Quote from: Conor248 on July 02, 2016, 01:53:35 AM
Just came across this one - I must admit to quite liking it but it is pretty bad:

Disco Karajan in a leather jacket :D

I appreciate art that is timeless. I also appreciate art that is not timeless.

Pat B

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 10, 2016, 02:16:50 PM
Now I'm wondering why the graphic designer didn't say "Symphonies 1-4" instead of all those pesky commas, or even "The Complete Symphonies". (Maybe "Complete" was too big a word to fit in the space on the cover.)

I think they could have fit:

All Four
Symphonies

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 10, 2016, 02:16:50 PM
Or why didn't they simply put "All The Symphonies What He Wrote"?

Works for me  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 11, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
Works for me  ;D

Sarge
Much, much better than the original... :D But that capital W in "What"  may raise some eyebrows...  ;)

Brian

Great! But... Composer's name is missing now ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2016, 01:10:00 PM

It's a mystery box. Buyer beware  ;D

Sarge

ritter

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2016, 01:10:00 PM
But since "He" is also capitalized, it clearly must be a really major composer, approaching God-like stature  :D

Sergeant Rock

Brian, this should make you "happier"  ;D  (Ritter, the capitalization remains the same...sorry  ;) )

Sarge

listener

Quote from: ritter on July 11, 2016, 01:02:08 PM
Much, much better than the original... :D But that capital W in "What"  may raise some eyebrows...  ;)
Actually there is a Symphony by Dorati, on Mercury LP  SR 90-248    I don't know if it's included in any of the Mercury cd sets.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on July 11, 2016, 01:52:05 PM
Actually there is a Symphony by Dorati, on Mercury LP  SR 90-248    I don't know if it's included in any of the Mercury cd sets.

Exactly...that's what I meant. Scout's honor! It wasn't a drunken oversight...I swear it wasn't  ;D

Sarge

Madiel

You want me to pay THAT much for Antal Dorati's one symphony? And why are you using the plural "symphonies" if he only wrote one?

Honestly, these marketing people...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 11, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
Works for me  ;D

Sarge

Beautiful.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud, Sarge.

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 11, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
Brian, this should make you "happier"  ;D  (Ritter, the capitalization remains the same...sorry  ;) )

Sarge
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe we should have an album cover photoshop contest in a new thread! Somebody can submit an album cover for revision, and we can all have a go...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2016, 03:11:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe we should have an album cover photoshop contest in a new thread! Somebody can submit an album cover for revision, and we can all have a go...

Brilliant.  ;D

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2016, 03:11:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We've, er, "improved" quite a few covers in this thread.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm happy to continue mangling covers.

amw

Quote from: orfeo on July 11, 2016, 02:30:11 PM
You want me to pay THAT much for Antal Dorati's one symphony? And why are you using the plural "symphonies" if he only wrote one?
He wrote two! They are on a BIS CD and not bad.
>.>

(Also in case anyone was curious, Dorati's performances of all the symphonies what Brahms wrote are actually pretty good with an exceptional No. 4 and a very good No. 3. Buy or avoid with confidence depending on how reliable you find me as a barometer.)

kishnevi

I made a quick check of all three and did not see it.  The Brahms cycle, complete with offending comma, is the lead - off to the third box.

Peter Power Pop

Actually there is a Symphony by Dorati, on Mercury LP  SR 90-248

This'd be the one:

[Details at Vinyl Mailer and Popsike.com]

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 11, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
I made a quick check of all three and did not see it.  The Brahms cycle, complete with offending comma, is the lead - off to the third box.

The Dorati symphony isn't on any of the three Mercury Living Presence Collector's Series box sets.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

Pat B

Okay, maybe this isn't really among the worst, but several things bug me:
1. Where is the orchestra? This concept could be interesting, but for it to work, I think it needs to be clear what the conductor is doing. Bernstein here appears to be moving into the "choke" signal.
2. The lighting and depth of field draw my attention towards the ornate column in the background.
3. I'm not crazy about this combination of all-caps normal width with mixed-case compressed at the same height, though I might not have noticed if the photo hadn't gotten me in such a critical mood.