Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Pat B on July 16, 2016, 11:38:01 PM

Okay, maybe this isn't really among the worst, but several things bug me:
1. Where is the orchestra? This concept could be interesting, but for it to work, I think it needs to be clear what the conductor is doing. Bernstein here appears to be moving into the "choke" signal.
2. The lighting and depth of field draw my attention towards the ornate column in the background.
3. I'm not crazy about this combination of all-caps normal width with mixed-case compressed at the same height, though I might not have noticed if the photo hadn't gotten me in such a critical mood.

I'm with you.

Plus:

The double bass lying on its side tells me the orchestra has gone home, which leads me to the question:

Just who is Lenny looking at, if there's no-one there?

Madiel

Oh come on guys, he's reminiscing. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, why does a double bass mean they've gone home, rather than arriving? Or having a tea break? Who leaves their double bass lying around afterward, does it just stay there until the next concert?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AM
Oh come on guys, he's reminiscing. Nothing wrong with that. ...

It's nice to reminisce.

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AMAnyway, why does a double bass mean they've gone home, rather than arriving? ...

That's what I imagined when I saw it there.

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AM... Or having a tea break? ...

Maybe everyone's having a cup of tea at the same time.

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AM...Who leaves their double bass lying around afterward, ...

It's a superstar bass player, and they have a roadie who carries their bass for them.

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AM... does it just stay there until the next concert?

I reckon so. It'd be guarded. (Superstar bassists have bass bodyguards, don't they?)

Pat B

Quote from: orfeo on July 17, 2016, 02:40:10 AM
Oh come on guys, he's reminiscing. Nothing wrong with that.

That makes sense, I just don't get it from the photo. I can't really see his eyes or mouth, just his hands, nose, blown-out hair, and the column. The bass, not terribly out of place and visually almost blending into the background, doesn't bother me too much. But the more I look at this photo, the more I fixate on that damn column.

Of course you don't have to agree, and I get that this thread tends to be hypercritical, but this photo bugs me. Maybe I think the concept deserves better execution.

Parsifal

Quote from: Pat B on July 16, 2016, 11:38:01 PM

Okay, maybe this isn't really among the worst, but several things bug me:
1. Where is the orchestra? This concept could be interesting, but for it to work, I think it needs to be clear what the conductor is doing. Bernstein here appears to be moving into the "choke" signal.
2. The lighting and depth of field draw my attention towards the ornate column in the background.
3. I'm not crazy about this combination of all-caps normal width with mixed-case compressed at the same height, though I might not have noticed if the photo hadn't gotten me in such a critical mood.

To call this "worst cover art" strikes me a bordering on the absurd. It is a photograph of the conductor in a pensive mood on the stage where a performance is soon to take place. The bases on the stage before hand is a very familiar sight. The ornate column is an organic part of it, since it appears to be the Wiener Musikerein, the home hall of the Wiener Philharmoniker, which has a long history with this music. The cover evokes all of the reasons I might be inducted to buy this recording (although I won't because because I am not particularly optimistic about Lenny's way with Bruckner).

And if you are going to take issue with the combination of all caps with a normal font, you are taking issue with a large fraction of the DGG catalog.

kishnevi

Quote from: Pat B on July 17, 2016, 02:05:17 PM
That makes sense, I just don't get it from the photo. I can't really see his eyes or mouth, just his hands, nose, blown-out hair, and the column. The bass, not terribly out of place and visually almost blending into the background, doesn't bother me too much. But the more I look at this photo, the more I fixate on that damn column.

Of course you don't have to agree, and I get that this thread tends to be hypercritical, but this photo bugs me. Maybe I think the concept deserves better execution.

To me it looks like he's taking off his scarf, pure and simple.

André

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
To call this "worst cover art" strikes me a bordering on the absurd. It is a photograph of the conductor in a pensive mood on the stage where a performance is soon to take place. The bases on the stage before hand is a very familiar sight. The ornate column is an organic part of it, since it appears to be the Wiener Musikerein, the home hall of the Wiener Philharmoniker, which has a long history with this music. The cover evokes all of the reasons I might be inducted to buy this recording (although I won't because because I am not particularly optimistic about Lenny's way with Bruckner).

And if you are going to take issue with the combination of all caps with a normal font, you are taking issue with a large fraction of the DGG catalog.

The WP does not have that long a history with the 9th. First recordings were in the 60s (Mehta and Schuricht). Same with the 8th (Solti and Schuricht). Granted, that's still a long time in the orchestra's musicians' life.

One of my friends who is a good case study for acute bruckneritis has produced an excel spreadsheet with lists of all Bruckner concerts by the Wiener Symphoniker and the Philharmoniker in the 20th Century (concerts, not recordings). He came out with rather startling findings: Bruckner concerts in Vienna pre-1960 were mostly the result of the WS, with well over double the number of the WP output. It took a long time before the Philharmoniker programmed Bruckner, with many years with no performance.

But that is beyond the point. I just wanted to plug this curiosity. Maybe I should have done so in the in the Bruckner Abbey  ;D

Parsifal

Quote from: André on July 17, 2016, 03:52:30 PM
The WP does not have that long a history with the 9th. First recordings were in the 60s (Mehta and Schuricht). Same with the 8th (Solti and Schuricht). Granted, that's still a long time in the orchestra's musicians' life.

One of my friends who is a good case study for acute bruckneritis has produced an excel spreadsheet with lists of all Bruckner concerts by the Wiener Symphoniker and the Philharmoniker in the 20th Century (concerts, not recordings). He came out with rather startling findings: Bruckner concerts in Vienna pre-1960 were mostly the result of the WS, with well over double the number of the WP output. It took a long time before the Philharmoniker programmed Bruckner, with many years with no performance.

But that is beyond the point. I just wanted to plug this curiosity. Maybe I should have done so in the in the Bruckner Abbey  ;D

I don't know enough about the subject to comment intelligently on the WPO's early history with Bruckner.  The oldest Bruckner recording I have is Knappertsbusch Bruckner 5, WPO from the mid 50's.  I have the impression that before the Bruckner revival in the latter part of the 20th century no orchestra was playing much Bruckner. 

One question about the WPO vs WS stats. How many orchestral concerts did the WPO give, compared with the WS? The WS was a full time performing orchestra, the WPO is a side-gig by the orchestra of the Vienna State Opera. Is the fact that WS has more Bruckner performances explainable by their giving more concerts overall?

Pat B

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

I didn't realize it at first, but my problem with the photo is almost entirely in lighting. The bass never bothered me, and the column does only because it's so much better lit than the subject.

As for the typography, yes, DG often use all caps + mixed, but rarely in this mix of widths (the banners on his Beethoven 5 and Brahms 1 look much better IMO, in their own ways). But it's not as bad as the photo.

Anyway, people have posted covers that I like in this thread (e.g. almost anything on Soli Deo Gloria; some of the Westminster stuff -- even their bad puns are well shot), so I know the feeling. A couple pages back you posted an out-of-focus Melodie Zhao cover that, to me, is not particularly good but nowhere near "worst." So, to each his own. I think this Bernstein cover is bad, but I welcome your disagreement. :)

Wendell_E

Not awful-looking, but I'd think an disc title "verismo" might have a more "realistic" cover.  I guess it's supposed to be Turandot as an angel of death?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Wendell_E on July 18, 2016, 03:08:01 AM

Not awful-looking, but I'd think an disc title "verismo" might have a more "realistic" cover.  I guess it's supposed to be Turandot as an angel of death?

"Verismo", eh? Maybe that's what Anna wears when she's hosting a dinner party.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Wendell_E on July 18, 2016, 03:08:01 AM

I loved her in Power Rangers.

André

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2016, 08:02:22 PM
I don't know enough about the subject to comment intelligently on the WPO's early history with Bruckner.  The oldest Bruckner recording I have is Knappertsbusch Bruckner 5, WPO from the mid 50's.  I have the impression that before the Bruckner revival in the latter part of the 20th century no orchestra was playing much Bruckner. 

One question about the WPO vs WS stats. How many orchestral concerts did the WPO give, compared with the WS? The WS was a full time performing orchestra, the WPO is a side-gig by the orchestra of the Vienna State Opera. Is the fact that WS has more Bruckner performances explainable by their giving more concerts overall?

The whole thing is incorporated into John Berky's website. Graph, charts, lists  :o
https://www.abruckner.com/editorsnote/listsanddata/houlegilles/

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2016, 08:02:22 PM

Nah, they give about the same amount of concerts, give or take a few. It's just that Bruckner wasn't 'establishment' enough for the WPh to touch; it's an orchestra that likes to groom its prejudices. :-)

André

Very well put. It's a matter of the WP (a self-gorverning entity, immune to trends, therefore prone to arch-conservative tradition) picking up on repertoire that's been given respectability after years of exposure through its non-official 'laboratories', such as the ORF, WS, Linz, Graz and other provincial austrian lesser orchestral bodies.

Oftentimes, the WP needed to be shaken by the seat of their pants to sit up and finally take notice.

Autumn Leaves

Latest find:

Apologies if this has been posted here before - made me ???
Note the name of the record label too :o

North Star

Clearly it's referring back to Man Ray's Le Violon d'Ingres

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 01:23:48 AM
Clearly it's referring back to Man Ray's Le Violon d'Ingres

Possibly its a tribute...
Heres another one of "Urania"'s recordings:

Autumn Leaves

Another...

I see a theme developing... :o

Madiel

I can't see how any of them qualify as bad-looking artwork. And I'm not sexually attracted to women so I'm not making the kind of comment that often gets made on this forum about the sex appeal of women on album covers.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!