What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 09, 2022, 12:36:59 PM
John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings

This collection was, for me, revelatory in helping to educate me in the world of the music and music making of both John Coltrane and the associated musicians and albums on which he appeared. He was, undoubtedly, a supreme talent. I am very grateful to have discovered and heard this collection both from the point of view of Coultrane himself but also for the exposure, for me, to the many other wonderful musicians that Coultrane worked with. It has been nothing but a constant pleasure for me to have listened to this collection.
Nice!  How many CDs are in the set?  And is it mostly different works (vs. multiple recordings of the same works)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 11, 2022, 04:18:36 AM

Nice!  How many CDs are in the set?  And is it mostly different works (vs. multiple recordings of the same works)?

PD

It is a 16 CD set with all different songs from various albums, both his own and others'.

aligreto

Miles Davis: In A Silent Way

I find the music on this album to be very progressive and exciting. I find that the second track/Side B on the album to be particularly engaging with its changes of mood and atmosphere.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Plays the Blues, Basie (compilation).

aligreto

Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool

This is my first time to hear this album. If I am honest I would say that I was somewhat underwhelmed by what I heard here. I say that because I suppose I had built up an expectation in my mind as to what I would expect here, musically. I am not disappointed: it is just something completely different to what I expected for some reason. I thought that I was going to get some very progressive music with a very modern vibe. Instead I am hearing a throw back to the big band era of the 1940s to the 1950s. There is nothing wrong with that and I quite enjoy it. It is just not what I expected, for some inexplicable reason.

Funny, that, how preconceived ideas and perceptions can be so wrong.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2022, 03:49:44 PM

This is my first time to hear this album. If I am honest I would say that I was somewhat underwhelmed by what I heard here. I say that because I suppose I had built up an expectation in my mind as to what I would expect here, musically. I am not disappointed: it is just something completely different to what I expected for some reason. I thought that I was going to get some very progressive music with a very modern vibe. Instead I am hearing a throw back to the big band era of the 1940s to the 1950s. There is nothing wrong with that and I quite enjoy it. It is just not what I expected, for some inexplicable reason.

I think Birth of the Cool is a significant and good album. I think Miles wanted to create a music significantly different from then-major stream bebop jazz, which tended to be energetic music with heavy sound and many notes. The compositions in the album are fine, if not exceptional, and the arrangement is fresh. The music is relaxed and cool, and it happened to become a prototype of the west coast/cool Jazz. The solos by Miles are exceptional- stylish, matured, and sophisticated- and they are powerful antithesis to the style of Dizzy Gillespie. It is not one of my favorite albums personally, but I think the album significantly and successfully proffered a paradigm shift.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Artem

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2022, 03:49:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken the music was recorded in 1949-1950. I find it pretty progressive for that period.

George

Quote from: Artem on September 19, 2022, 07:28:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken the music was recorded in 1949-1950. I find it pretty progressive for that period.

Mr. Davis was always Miles Ahead of the crowd.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Wynton Marsalis Quartet Live At Blues Alley.

SimonNZ

Heh. I was expecting just a straightforward sampler, but this has a running commentary by one of those 50s white jazz hosts who are trying to sound hip without realizing how square it comes across.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 18, 2022, 06:38:37 PM

I think Birth of the Cool is a significant and good album. I think Miles wanted to create a music significantly different from then-major stream bebop jazz, which tended to be energetic music with heavy sound and many notes. The compositions in the album are fine, if not exceptional, and the arrangement is fresh. The music is relaxed and cool, and it happened to become a prototype of the west coast/cool Jazz. The solos by Miles are exceptional- stylish, matured, and sophisticated- and they are powerful antithesis to the style of Dizzy Gillespie. It is not one of my favorite albums personally, but I think the album significantly and successfully proffered a paradigm shift.

Thank you for the information and your insight Manabu.