Your ten unusual symphonic choices (post 1916)

Started by vandermolen, August 07, 2016, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Blame Andre for this  (see Havergal Brian thread) 8)

Well, BBC Music Magazine (Sepember issue) made a survey of 141 conductors to ascertain the 'Twenty Greatest Symphonies of All Time'. No surprises really but they also included a list of 'Ten Unusual Choices' from the conductors, which were:
Boris Lyatoshynsky: Symphony 3 (1951)
Per Norgard: Symphony 8 (2012)
Allan Pettersson: Symphony 7 (1967)
Luciano Berio: Sinfonia (1969)
Avet Terterian: Symphony 3 (1975)
Charles Ives: Symphony 4 (1920s)
Havergal Brian: Symphony 1 'Gothic' (1927)
Jan van Gilse: Symphony 3 (1907)
Wilhelm Stenhammar: Symphony 1 (1903)
Lepo Sumera: Symphony 2 (1984)

So, now is your chance to list your ten unusual musical choices. Here are mine for this evening anyway:

Klaus Egge: Symphony 1
Douglas Lilburn: Symphony 1
Cyril Rootham: Symphony 2
Richard Arnell: Symphony 3
Stanley Bate: Symphony 4
Joly Braga Santos: Symphony 4
Rodion Shchedrin: Symphony 1
David Diamond: Symphony 3
Eduard Tubin: Symphony 2 'Legendary'
Kaljo Raid: Symphony 1

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I understand the intent of this thread, Jeffrey.

some guy

vandermolen

Ten lesser-known symphonies that you would recommend to others.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Right off the bat I can think of the Vermeulen Second, Schmidt Fourth, Brian Eighth, Enescu Second, Magnard Fourth and Korngold's only one.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 07, 2016, 01:39:31 PM
Right off the bat I can think of the Vermeulen Second, Schmidt Fourth, Brian Eighth, Enescu Second, Magnard Fourth and Korngold's only one.
Great choices Johan. Brian's 8th is perhaps my favourite and has that wonderful poetic ending. Need to reacquaint myself with the Vermeulen and Enescu but love the Korngold and Magnard.  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I might add Myaskovsky's Sixth (with chorus), especially for you, Jeffrey. Great piece.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 07, 2016, 02:04:32 PM
I might add Myaskovsky's Sixth (with chorus), especially for you, Jeffrey. Great piece.
Most definitely! It was a shame that Svetlanov's fine performance is without the chorus. And I have seen it live! One of the greatest ever concert experiences for me - along with attending a live performance of an even longer British symphony a few years ago.  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 07, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
Most definitely! It was a shame that Svetlanov's fine performance is without the chorus. And I have seen it live! One of the greatest ever concert experiences for me - along with attending a live performance of an even longer British symphony a few years ago.  ;)

Ah yes, I remember it well...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I don't know what counts as lesser known....I'm gonna say Nørgård's symphony no. 2 is one of my favourite symphonies though. Also, Searle's symphony no. 5 is great.

Daverz

Haven't we done this topic several times before?

Not that I don't like the topic, but it's now spread over several similar threads.

some guy

Ya know, we've managed to get through this much of the party without anyone noticing (or perhaps noticing but not mentioning) the elephant in the room. I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. It IS rather on the large size, after all.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I'm not the biggest fan of symphonies meself

SimonNZ

Quote from: some guy on August 07, 2016, 10:16:25 PM
Ya know, we've managed to get through this much of the party without anyone noticing (or perhaps noticing but not mentioning) the elephant in the room. I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. It IS rather on the large size, after all.

Definitions? Things that could be called symphonies but aren't?

vandermolen

Quote from: jessop on August 07, 2016, 03:43:38 PM
I don't know what counts as lesser known....I'm gonna say Nørgård's symphony no. 2 is one of my favourite symphonies though. Also, Searle's symphony no. 5 is great.
Thanks - I especially like Norgard's First Symphony but will give No.2 another listen - it is on the same CD.

vandermolen

Quote from: some guy on August 07, 2016, 10:16:25 PM
Nobody needs to respond if they don't want to and then the thread will sink without trace anyway. Just responding to a light-hearted suggestion on the Havergal Brian thread.

SimonNZ

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 07, 2016, 10:44:28 PM
Definitions? Things that could be called symphonies but aren't?
I began to think that it was about the fact that symphonies composed for orchestras in concert halls is not where new music is at...but this thread isn't about new symphonies or new music at all really. Just symphonies that aren't performed all that often.

But i am confused about the word 'unusual' as a descriptor and the number '1916' which seems rather arbitrary.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 07, 2016, 11:29:01 PM
Gloria Coates' Symphony No.14
Oh my, yes of course I can't believe I forgot Coates.

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on August 07, 2016, 01:20:55 PM
Blame Andre for this  (see Havergal Brian thread) 8)

Well, BBC Music Magazine (Sepember issue) made a survey of 141 conductors to ascertain the 'Twenty Greatest Symphonies of All Time'. No surprises really but they also included a list of 'Ten Unusual Choices' from the conductors, which were:
Boris Lyatoshynsky: Symphony 3 (1951)
Per Norgard: Symphony 8 (2012)
Allan Pettersson: Symphony 7 (1967)
Luciano Berio: Sinfonia (1969)
Avet Terterian: Symphony 3 (1975)
Charles Ives: Symphony 4 (1920s)
Havergal Brian: Symphony 1 'Gothic' (1927)
Jan van Gilse: Symphony 3 (1907)
Wilhelm Stenhammar: Symphony 1 (1903)
Lepo Sumera: Symphony 2 (1984)

So, now is your chance to list your ten unusual musical choices. Here are mine for this evening anyway:

Klaus Egge: Symphony 1
Douglas Lilburn: Symphony 1
Cyril Rootham: Symphony 2
Richard Arnell: Symphony 3
Stanley Bate: Symphony 4
Joly Braga Santos: Symphony 4
Rodion Shchedrin: Symphony 1
David Diamond: Symphony 3
Eduard Tubin: Symphony 2 'Legendary'
Kaljo Raid: Symphony 1

Many fine works here, a  few I don't know - and a few I have heard but don't remember. I have always been pathologically unable to make rankings like these. But I like Stenhammers 2nd better than the first, and would definitely throw in Grace Williams no 2 and some Sallinen (but which, decisions, decisions) and Rosenberg (but which, decisions, decisions). And Nørgård deserves a spot, his no 3 is my favorite of those I have heard. Rautavaara no 7 perhaps? Groven's from the Mountains, Schmitt (I've always liked no 2). My favorite of Myaskovskis's have always been no 22, strangely enough. And the Erland von Koch symphonies on a recent BIS release struch me as definitely very wortwhile.

Not to say these deserves a premier spot to some you have mentioned, but now I have made a kind of list of some interesting stuff worth a mention.