Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 19, 2024, 10:51:17 PMA gentle sweep with an antistatic brush should remove most dust. Then clean with your RCM. A few plays, I find, improves matters as the stylus will push ingrained mush loosened by your RCM aside.

I actually purchased a LP this weekend! A fairly rare event as I own well enough. But when a Lyrita comes along....

A early pressing (SRCS 33 stereo) and not typical Lyrita as featuring Hugo Rignold conducting City of Birmingham SO. Neither conductor or orchestra feature on other Lyrita issues on my shelves. The 1966 vintage pressing and cover are immaculate. A rare find.
Cool!  And your beloved Bliss!  :)

I wasn't certain how scratchy the dried up bits of sponge remains were.  Have you (or anyone else here) had to deal with getting them off of an LP before?  Note:  they are not stuck on there.

Also, I came across another LP yesterday (mentioned in the new purchases thread) with Kyung Wha Chung.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 19, 2024, 10:51:17 PMA gentle sweep with an antistatic brush should remove most dust. Then clean with your RCM. A few plays, I find, improves matters as the stylus will push ingrained mush loosened by your RCM aside.

I actually purchased a LP this weekend! A fairly rare event as I own well enough. But when a Lyrita comes along....

A early pressing (SRCS 33 stereo) and not typical Lyrita as featuring Hugo Rignold conducting City of Birmingham SO. Neither conductor or orchestra feature on other Lyrita issues on my shelves. The 1966 vintage pressing and cover are immaculate. A rare find.
I think that the Birmingham SO commissioned the work from Bliss and/or gave the first performance. It's the best recording of the work with a unique atmosphere. I have the original LP release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2024, 11:41:30 AMI think that the Birmingham SO commissioned the work from Bliss and/or gave the first performance. It's the best recording of the work with a unique atmosphere. I have the original LP release.

Listened to 'Meditations on a Theme by John Blow' this evening. A fine performance which I enjoyed very much. The obvious comparison is Handley and I need to play his recording. My musical memory is not good to say the least but the impression I get is that Handley is dynamic and Rignold more nuanced.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.