What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2020, 06:33:55 AM
Yes, good music making. I have not listened to any Brahms symphonic cycle in quite some time. I am now three quarters way through this one.

I listened to her 4th yesterday. You're in for a treat when you get to it. Excellent performance of that Scherzo!

aligreto

Byrd: Mass for Five Voices [Summerly]

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 02, 2020, 07:33:31 AM
I listened to her 4th yesterday. You're in for a treat when you get to it. Excellent performance of that Scherzo!

Cheers.

TheGSMoeller

It's a classical era morning. This is Savall/Le Concert Des Nations' first recording of Eroica, and Mozart's Mass from Fricsay & Co...

SonicMan46

Graupner, Christoph (1683-1760) - Harpsichord Music w/ the wonderful Geneviève Soly - now listening to the first two volumes - will do the third and fourth recordings this afternoon - own 6 CDs of these Soly Graupner works and just did a MP3 (320 kbps) DL of V. 7 from Qobuz (my first order there - has been mentioned here multiple times so will give the place a try!) - the latter received a 5*/5* review on AllMusic HERE, for those interested.  For those just getting into the harpsichord or 'dislike' the instrument, on of these discs will be enlightening.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 8 in c minor
Slava
LSO Live
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2020, 08:41:29 AM
Shostakovich
Symphony No. 8 in c minor
Slava
LSO Live

Going dark so early in the day, Karl.

;D

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 02, 2020, 08:36:51 AM
Graupner, Christoph (1683-1760) - Harpsichord Music w/ the wonderful Geneviève Soly - now listening to the first two volumes - will do the third and fourth recordings this afternoon - own 6 CDs of these Soly Graupner works and just did a MP3 (320 kbps) DL of V. 7 from Qobuz (my first order there - has been mentioned here multiple times so will give the place a try!) - the latter received a 5*/5* review on AllMusic HERE, for those interested.  For those just getting into the harpsichord or 'dislike' the instrument, on of these discs will be enlightening.  Dave :)

The whole series is an absolute delight yo me!  :)

Graupner's output is a major highlight in the harpsichord repertoire.

And we got Harry on board as well....   ;)

Q

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2020, 09:32:20 AM
Here's a palate-cleanser, Greg!

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZaXbSW0vJv0

It has now become New Music Sunday!  Thanks for the introduction, Karl.

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 02:30:50 PM
Not yet. It's in my shopping cart for this weekend, with some others of his orchestral works.
Excellent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 01, 2020, 03:30:57 PM
Not only that. I quite agree with him when said it's the best thing Elgar ever wrote.  :P

I'm kidding, of course! But that movement was quite ceremonious and fun indeed.

I love 'The Waggon Passes' from the Nursery Suite.

Here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97zWoAuNnOc
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

A very detailed version revealing more fine points than most others, possibly at the expense of forward momentum. Playing (strings especially) and recording are spectacular.

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 02, 2020, 06:18:23 AM
David Diamond Symphony No. 3, Schwarz conducting the Seattle

Sarge
One of the truly great American symphonies IMO.

Todd

I bought a download of Cipriano de Rore's La Vergine from the always reliable Hilliard Ensemble.  The singing is fine, the music wonderful, but the recording sucks.  It is riddled with distortion, overload, and breakup.  I have no idea if the physical media presentation is the same.  What a shame.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

not edward

This complete set of Berio's Chemins cycle is a lot of fun, though I wouldn't recommend listening to all of it at once.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

aligreto

Canteloube: Songs of the Auvergne [Gomez/Handley]

vers la flamme

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.5 in E minor, op.64. Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra

Wow, what a performance. As for the music itself, it's a lot better than I realized, and this performance really brings that to light. Tchaikovsky was an amazing melodist, and not half bad as an orchestrator too. I'll be spending more time with this 2CD for sure, but I think soon it will be time to explore the complete cycle. If only Mravinsky recorded the first three symphonies...

André

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya