What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2020, 08:41:29 AM
Shostakovich
Symphony No. 8 in c minor
Slava
LSO Live

That was my introduction to the Eighth.  Perhaps it is merely imprinting, but I have yet to hear a recording of that symphony which I like better.

TD
[asin]B0000ZKY10[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 02, 2020, 05:52:44 PM
That was my introduction to the Eighth.  Perhaps it is merely imprinting, but I have yet to hear a recording of that symphony which I like better.

TD
[asin]B0000ZKY10[/asin]
Great Bliss CD as well linking both of his PCs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
Bax for piano and orchestra

Winter Legends is a real stunner IMO.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 02, 2020, 11:15:56 AM
I love 'The Waggon Passes' from the Nursery Suite.

Here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97zWoAuNnOc

Oh yes, Nursery Suite is a delightful piece.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Passionate, soulful, poetic, intimate Brahms. A summary of his creative life.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Now:

Malipiero: String Quartet No. 3 Cantàri alla Madrigalesca

I'm very fond of these string quartets. I like very much the way Malipiero paid homage to the Renaissance masters with these works.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 02, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
Now:

Malipiero: String Quartet No. 3 Cantàri alla Madrigalesca

I'm very fond of these string quartets. I like very much the way Malipiero paid homage to the Renaissance masters with these works.
I like them too. Love the Ensor painting cover art. He had a very bizarre sense of humour.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Morning listening:

One of the worst looking covers.... but surely one of the best recordings by Beauty Farm sofar!  :)

Q

vandermolen

Bloch: Sacred Service
Should appeal to anyone who likes the choral works of Vaughan Williams I think.

Biffo

Victoria: Missa Alma Redemptoris Mater a 8 - The Sixteen directed by Harry Chrsitophers - a serene start to the day

vandermolen

HB Symphony 8

Biffo

Rubbra: Symphony No 6 -  BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted By Richard Hickox

Traverso

Mozart

CD3

Pianosonatas 4-2-12 & 15

Harry

Carlo Gesualdo, Prince of Venosa.
Tenebrae.

CD I. Feria Quinta. Maundy Thursday.
CD II, Feria Sexta. Good Friday.
CD III, Sabbato Sancto. Holy Saturday.

Graindelavoix, Björn Schmelzer.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Iota

Hillborg: Beast Sampler

Sakari Oramo, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic

An absorbing and kaleidoscopic piece of music.

Maestro267

Busoni: Piano Concerto
Cappello (piano)/Rome SO/La Vecchia

This mammoth concerto feels like that form's equivalent of Bruckner's symphonies. A vast monolithic cathedral in sound.

Biffo

Frank Martin: Les quatre éléments - London Philharmonic conducted by Matthias Bamert - atmospheric piece!

Mookalafalas

It's all good...