What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 6 the Cyrill Hynaus Version with Ira Levine conducting the Symphony Orschestra of Norrlands Opera

Que

Quote from: Traverso on February 02, 2022, 05:59:53 AM
Haydn

Symphonies 88-89 & 92

So, you have that set as well!  ;)

How does Kuijken compare to Brüggen, which do you prefer?

(I'm looking into options to get the Brüggen set)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on February 02, 2022, 10:31:10 AM
Kodaly: Harry Janos Suite [Dorati]

This is an expansive, atmospheric and exciting version of this wonderful work.

I listened to the set yesterday. I thought that the Ballet Music was a nice work as well.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on February 02, 2022, 11:03:17 AM
So, you have that set as well!  ;)

How does Kuijken compare to Brüggen, which do you prefer?

(I'm looking into options to get the Brüggen set)

I prefer the Brüggen box , the Kuijken set is very good but Brüggen is more convincing and warmblooded.Brüggen is more enjoyable and sound more balanced and refined.It will not dissapoint you.I saw one on markplaats a few days ago but it is gone now.

If you can find one,go for it,you will find no better. :) 13 CD'S

Linz

Harnoncourt Schubert Symphonies 2 and 6 with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra on CD2

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 02, 2022, 09:09:28 AM
Roussel, Sinfonietta, Cluytens, Paris Conservatory Orchestra.

The naming of this piece strikes me a peculiar, because "Sinfonietta" strikes me a describing a light piece of music. This piece is brief, but very intense and dense. The 1965 recording conveys a pleasingly sensuous string sound. Cluytens is brilliant, as usual.

Wonderful!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 02, 2022, 09:10:29 AM
Honegger: 'Une Cantate De Noel'
This is as moving a performance as I know:

Beautiful, Jeffrey. Love this piece. There are several lovely performances. I especially like the Baudo performance on Supraphon. I'm not sure if you know it or not. It came coupled with Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher in a 2-CD set that I bought years ago. I'm sure it's OOP now.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on February 02, 2022, 11:50:03 AM
I prefer the Brüggen box , the Kuijken set is very good but Brüggen is more convincing and warmblooded.Brüggen is more enjoyable and sound more balanced and refined.It will not dissapoint you.I saw one on markplaats a few days ago but it is gone now.

If you can find one,go for it,you will find no better. :) 13 CD'S

Thnx, I will!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on February 02, 2022, 10:31:10 AM
Kodaly: Harry Janos Suite [Dorati]

This is an expansive, atmospheric and exciting version of this wonderful work.

Indeed. If I were you, I'd try and track down the Hungaroton recordings, especially of the orchestral, chamber, solo piano and choral works. They're magical!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 02, 2022, 07:33:34 AM
Thank you for the link. Yes, the Korte compositions are definitely attractive pieces, but the other works sound great too. What a lovely recording.
Glad that you enjoyed them!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 02, 2022, 07:15:25 AM
PD, I will post on the vinyl thread my experiences re cleaning regime of LPs. Lovely record by the way. :P
Thanks!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Now playing the Prologue and Act I from the following:

Repsighi
Belfagor
Sylvia Sass, Magda Kalmár, Klára Takács, et. al
Hungarian Radio and Television Chorus
Hungarian State Orchestra
Lamberto Gardelli

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2022, 12:37:39 PM

Repsighi
Belfagor
Lamberto Gardelli

I find Belfagor delightful (and this is someone who's not a diehard Respighi fan speaking). What are your impressions so far, John?

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 02, 2022, 12:48:26 PM
I find Belfagor delightful (and this is someone who's not a diehard Respighi fan speaking). What are your impressions so far, John?

I'm certainly enjoying it --- enchanting. I love a lot of Respighi's music, but his operatic works are completely unknown to me, which is why I stocked up on those Hungaroton recordings of La Flamma, Maria egiziaca and, of course, Belfagor. I know there are several other operas, but this is enough for right now. ;)

vers la flamme

Benjamin Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge, op.10. Benjamin Britten, English Chamber Orchestra

Good to revisit this recording after quite a while.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 02, 2022, 11:26:46 AM

I listened to the set yesterday. I thought that the Ballet Music was a nice work as well.

I have only just begun to listen to the set and already I look forward to listening to the rest of it.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2022, 12:29:55 PM
Indeed. If I were you, I'd try and track down the Hungaroton recordings, especially of the orchestral, chamber, solo piano and choral works. They're magical!

Thank you for the recommendation.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2022, 12:37:39 PM

Repsighi
Belfagor
Lamberto Gardelli

That must be delightful! Respighi's orchestral writing never fails to dazzle. Unfortunately those Hungaroton recordings are way OOP... :(

Edited to add: they all seem to available on Spotify, so that's an option...

TD: Another listen to this:

George Lloyd
Symphony no. 8
Philharmonia Orchestra
Edward Downes

Delightfully tuneful, and a really moving slow movement (a Lloyd specialty). I only wish a score were more readily available - I know the George Lloyd Society has several typeset scores available, but the Eighth isn't one of them.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

CD 41

Guests Martha Argerich & Mischa Maisky
Music of Robt Schumann
Adagio und Allegro, Op. 70
3 Fantasiestücke, Op. 73
5 Stücke im Volkston, Op. 102
Märchenbild, Op. 113/1
Cello Concerto in a minor, Op. 129
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Another complete Schumann piano cycle to begin tinkering with:

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2022, 08:05:28 PM
Ruminative as an adjective means deep thought, so, yes, Martin's music certainly requires this from the listener. :) I suppose why I love some of these types of composers (and certainly one of the reasons Debussy is my numero uno) is the harmony within his music is what truly excites me as a listener. Of course, I'm not saying that melody and rhythm aren't important, because they certainly are, but some composers excel where others do not. Some composers choose to downplay the dramatic aspect of their music, too and sometimes restraint can even more emotional than just coming right out with something and hitting you over the head.

Anyway...¡ama lo que amas, mi amigo!

Igualmente, compadre!  ;D :D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky