Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 23, 2021, 05:18:36 AM
About 50% of eligible adults (over 16 years old) have at least one dose. The concerning thing is that according to some reports half of the unvaccinated say they do not intend to get the vaccine. That would prevent the U.S. from reaching the goal of "herd immunity."
5 million Americans who have had their first shot hsven't turned up for sppointments to have their 2nd shot.

Mandryka

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 25, 2021, 12:39:30 PM
Trumpism in a nutshell. I mean, Republicans have been doing that to some degree for a while (climate change, e.g.) but now, it's the Trump brand.

Yes sure, but that's like blaming the concentration camps on one man, Hitler, demonising one man, making a scapegoat, serves to absolve the evil which was banal. And similarly here, the irrationality is banal too, it seems.

A friend of mine uses the term endarkenment - the opposite of enlightenment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on April 25, 2021, 08:45:28 PM
5 million Americans who have had their first shot hsven't turned up for sppointments to have their 2nd shot.
I heard this morning that 8% of Americans haven't shown up for their second; haven't done the math to see whether or not that's the same (heard on CNN earlier this morning).  :(

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 25, 2021, 08:19:56 AM
Children are required to be up to date with standard vaccinations in order to attend elementary school, I don't see that there is anything unusual about required a Covid-19 vaccine to attend college or participate in critical activities. The only problematic thing that I see is that it is not that easy to get a vaccine, at present. I had to check a web site daily to try to schedule a vaccine appointment, and it took weeks of checking to get a slot. If an institution is going to require it, they should be prepared to provide it.

At least some of them are:  https://www.wbaltv.com/article/notre-dame-of-maryland-university-offer-covid-19-vaccines-to-students-in-preparation-for-fall/36110833  Just an example.  Like you, I had trouble booking my first appointment and had to persevere (spent a lot of time on my computer), but I got it!  :)  They then set up my appointment for the second one there.  I did also receive a pre-recorded phone call recently for a chance to get vaccinated at a local college (I suspect that they had some leftover vaccines after vaccinating their students).  I had put my name on a standby list back when I was trying to get my first shot.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Just received a text telling me to book my Vaccine No.2, which I've done for early Saturday morning at my local surgery.
BBC News started early just now to go straight to President Biden's vaccine statement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2021, 10:04:54 AM
Just received a text telling me to book my Vaccine No.2, which I've done for early Saturday morning at my local surgery.
BBC News started early just now to go straight to President Biden's vaccine statement.

Don't forget to take your vaccine certificate from the first dose.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

A bit confused here as when I received my first shot, they told me when I needed to come back; in essence, made the second appointment for me.  Were you able to make it at the best time/date (thinking best effective)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on April 24, 2021, 04:19:09 AM
It's as if these Americans decide they don't want to believe something, and so don't believe it. It just isn't possible for an educated European to think like that, these Americans are from Mars as far as I'm concerned. I blame the school system -- there must be something deeply, fundamentally wrong with the curriculum for there to be such a basic misunderstanding of the relationship between truth and rationality, and rationality and action. God help us.
Quote from: Mandryka on April 24, 2021, 06:18:52 AM
Well, I have to eat my words

https://twitter.com/mariannaspring/status/1385925560631705600?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

No, Americans are bigger dumbasses! I'll see that and raise you one:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56905752

A Miami school has discouraged teachers from getting the Covid vaccine, saying any vaccinated employees will be barred from interacting with students.

Centner Academy leadership cited debunked claims of non-vaccinated people being "negatively impacted" by contact with vaccinated people.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 27, 2021, 12:32:07 PM
A bit confused here as when I received my first shot, they told me when I needed to come back; in essence, made the second appointment for me.  Were you able to make it at the best time/date (thinking best effective)?

PD
Hi PD - they said that they would contact me when the time came and they have, although a bit earlier than expected.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on April 27, 2021, 10:25:14 AM
Don't forget to take your vaccine certificate from the first dose.
Thanks - I will do - it's with my mobile phone.

vandermolen

drogulus

Massachusetts numbers are getting better. Only 4 deaths today.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on April 27, 2021, 03:07:34 PM
     Massachusetts numbers are getting better. Only 4 deaths today.
Great news.

Irons

Covid crises in India reaching epic proportions. Reports of two sometimes three to a hospital bed for those lucky enough to get in. Harrowing scenes on news of people dying in cars as being frantically driven by family members in search of oxygen supplies. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 28, 2021, 07:42:56 AM
Covid crises in India reaching epic proportions. Reports of two sometimes three to a hospital bed for those lucky enough to get in. Harrowing scenes on news of people dying in cars as being frantically driven by family members in search of oxygen supplies.
That's horrible!

Ran across this article today.  A school in Florida is banning teachers and other staff from getting the Covid vaccine due to fears that they could somehow or another spread something to/harm the students!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 28, 2021, 08:23:48 AM
That's horrible!

Ran across this article today.  A school in Florida is banning teachers and other staff from getting the Covid vaccine due to fears that they could somehow or another spread something to/harm the students!

PD

I hope the parents who are paying up to $30,000 per annum to have their children taught in a school run by an imbecile vote with their feet (or wallets).

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 28, 2021, 08:23:48 AM

A school in Florida is banning teachers and other staff from getting the Covid vaccine due to fears that they could somehow or another spread something to/harm the students!

PD

Huh?!  That defies logic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on April 28, 2021, 08:47:30 AM
I hope the parents who are paying up to $30,000 per annum to have their children taught in a school run by an imbecile vote with their feet (or wallets).

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 28, 2021, 08:48:13 AM
Huh?!  That defies logic.

I know!  They're cuckoo!  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

The fact that children are the least likely to be affected by Covid apparently hasn't entered their heads.
Cheers

Holden

prémont

Quote from: Holden on April 28, 2021, 01:41:15 PM
The fact that children are the least likely to be affected by Covid apparently hasn't entered their heads.

When children contract the disease -and they do, it tends to run a subclinical course, but the children are still contagious, so it is a good thing when the staff of the school is vaccinated.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.