Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ibanezmonster

Those last two are great, Florestan.

Opus106

Quote from: Bogey on October 26, 2012, 08:02:04 PM
1925. Sidney Lust's Leader Theater at 507 Ninth Street NW in Washington, D.C. Now playing: "The Air Mail," starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and an "Our Gang" short.

Check out a larger view here:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/3228?size=_original#caption

A great set of expressions from the boys on the left corner.
Regards,
Navneeth

Florestan

Quote from: Greg on October 26, 2012, 10:55:14 AM
Those last two are great, Florestan.

They are, aren't they?  :D

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2012, 01:19:32 AM
They are, aren't they?  :D

The second one is particularly suited to this weekend in Chile. Tomorrow we will have municipal elections and, for the first time, the election will be with automatic registration and voluntary vote (previously people were penalized if didn't vote, when they had voluntarily registered to vote).
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 27, 2012, 04:30:15 AM
The second one is particularly suited to this weekend in Chile. Tomorrow we will have municipal elections and, for the first time, the election will be with automatic registration and voluntary vote (previously people were penalized if didn't vote, when they had voluntarily registered to vote).

Whenever I hear about compulsory vote I am reminded of Nicolas Gomez Davila's dictum: It is no longer enough for the citizen to submit — the modern state demands accomplices;D

Some more from him:

Democracy is the political regime in which the citizen entrusts the public interests to those men to whom he would never entrust his private interests.

For the democrat it is not enough that we respect what he wants to do with his life; he demands, in addition, that we respect what he wants to do with our life.

For two centuries the people has borne the burden not only of those who exploit it, but also of those who liberate it.
Its back is buckling under the double weight.

;D

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2012, 05:53:52 AM
Whenever I hear about compulsory vote I am reminded of Nicolas Gomez Davila's dictum: It is no longer enough for the citizen to submit — the modern state demands accomplices;D

Some more from him:

Democracy is the political regime in which the citizen entrusts the public interests to those men to whom he would never entrust his private interests.

For the democrat it is not enough that we respect what he wants to do with his life; he demands, in addition, that we respect what he wants to do with our life.

For two centuries the people has borne the burden not only of those who exploit it, but also of those who liberate it.
Its back is buckling under the double weight.

;D

Thanks, Andrei.

I must confess I didn't know nothing about Nicolás Gómez Dávila, but I have found a selection of his aphorisms and they look extremely attractive.

Additionally, this has recalled me that I have the St. Petersburg Nights waiting for a reading.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Corey

That reminds me Florestan: I was trying to find a source for the Proudhon quote that used to be your signature, but the only Google results were for your posts here. :D Where did you find it?

Florestan

Quote from: Corey on October 27, 2012, 07:31:17 AM
That reminds me Florestan: I was trying to find a source for the Proudhon quote that used to be your signature, but the only Google results were for your posts here. :D Where did you find it?

I first encountered it, unsourced and in the original French form, in one of Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn's books (either Liberty or Equality or The Menace of The Heard) then in other two places, unsourced too:

http://www.wikiberal.org/wiki/Citations_sur_la_d%C3%A9mocratie

http://www.libertas-europa.com/wiki/Pierre-Joseph_Proudhon

In my former signature I translated it in English.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Corey

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2012, 11:08:42 AM
I first encountered it, unsourced and in the original French form, in one of Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn's books (either Liberty or Equality or The Menace of The Heard) then in other two places, unsourced too:

http://www.wikiberal.org/wiki/Citations_sur_la_d%C3%A9mocratie

http://www.libertas-europa.com/wiki/Pierre-Joseph_Proudhon

In my former signature I translated it in English.

thanks!

Mirror Image

I love these paintings by Chaim Soutine:

mahler10th

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2012, 10:09:31 AM
I love these paintings by Chaim Soutine:

:)
Great.  Wind blows in all these pictures. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on October 31, 2012, 10:23:01 AM
:)
Great.  Wind blows in all these pictures.

I admire Soutine's work a lot, John. Another one of my favorite painters is Chagall. He was an incredibly versatile painter, particularly his work with stained-glass windows. Beautiful.

North Star

Those Soutines are very nice, John - thanks, I'll have to check out more of his work.
Chagall is great. Very nice lithographies, Dave.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on October 31, 2012, 12:29:00 PM
Those Soutines are very nice, John - thanks, I'll have to check out more of his work.

Yeah, Karlo. He did some fine work. Other painters who I've come to enjoy are Francis Bacon, Alice Neel, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Paul Klee, and Max Beckmann.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2012, 01:20:34 PM
Yeah, Karlo. He did some fine work. Other painters who I've come to enjoy are Francis Bacon, Alice Neel, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Paul Klee, and Max Beckmann.
Klee, and Bacon and Beckmann, have done good stuff. I searched Neel and Kirchner, and especially Neel looked good enough that I'll try to look into it at some point.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya