Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atriod

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2023, 10:27:12 AMI wonder what Mozart would have thought of this, given that he wrote all his concertos to showcase himself...  ;D

Fortunately we don't have to pick great pianist or great conductor/orchestra. Once you stop thinking about them as cycles there are so many recordings of the concertos, especially from 20 onward. I rarely go out of my way to buy them anymore because I already have plenty but just as an example of one I did and listened to this afternoon is Sudbin/Vanska in 24, just all around phenomenal.

George

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 02, 2023, 07:32:37 AMI figured I should give Haebler a more fair trial, and listened to her recording of the 23rd Concerto, with Rowicki and the LSO (one of the handful that can be found on my streaming service). It was pleasant and skillfully performed, but didn't really expand my horizons, given that I have the sets by Brendel and others on modern piano with a similar ethos.

Which mastering do you have for the Brendel Mozart piano concertos? I am interested in his set and there appears to be at least three incarnations of it on CD.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Spotted Horses

Quote from: George on August 02, 2023, 08:35:13 AMWhich mastering do you have for the Brendel Mozart piano concertos? I am interested in his set and there appears to be at least three incarnations of it on CD.

I had some of the Brendel on the original CD issues, now I've got the complete Brendel/Philips box, but haven't listened to any of the Mozart yet.

I've reconsidered in my view of Heabler, and now have the big Haebler/Philips Legacy set (still in the process of ripping).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: George on August 02, 2023, 08:35:13 AMWhich mastering do you have for the Brendel Mozart piano concertos? I am interested in his set and there appears to be at least three incarnations of it on CD.

There's four incarnations. I have this one from the Complete Mozart Edition, which is the second incarnation.

This is the only one that mentions remastering: it dates from 2009.

A "Collector's Edition" budget box was issued in 2011. Presumably it used the 2009 remaster, but its current price is much too high.
I have no idea what if any remastering was done for the Complete Brendel box.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

I confirmed this morning that these two sets have the same mastering for their shared content. The first set was released in 1990, the second one was released in 2011. The 2011 has two discs of non-Brendel performances that are not in the 1990 set, but discs 3-12 of the 2011 set are the same performances and mastering as the 1990 set.

JBS

Quote from: George on August 05, 2023, 07:27:28 AM

I confirmed this morning that these two sets have the same mastering for their shared content. The first set was released in 1990, the second one was released in 2011. The 2011 has two discs of non-Brendel performances that are not in the 1990 set, but discs 3-12 of the 2011 set are the same performances and mastering as the 1990 set.

And the Complete Mozart set is really just the 2011 set with different packaging.

It would seem the Eloquence 2009 set is the only remastered version, and also the cheapest at the moment.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

I was lucky enough to find a new copy of this on eBay from a seller who accepted a $50 offer!

George

Now enjoying CD 1 from this set, which arrived today. A fortepiano is the instrument (for this CD only), which I don't usually like, but I am enjoying it here. CD 2 has the K 103 concertos, works I have never owned or even heard before, played on harpsicord. CDs 3-12 are all played by Brendel on the piano.
All this (PCs 1- 27 and the K.103 concertos) makes this (by far) the most complete Mozart piano concerto set I have ever owned.

AnotherSpin

Today Qobuz release.

Atriod

Quote from: AnotherSpin on August 11, 2023, 04:42:35 AM

Today Qobuz release.

Will give it a listen, I am not hopeful, SWR usually use noise reduction on their historical reissues  :'(

Jo498

There must be around half a dozen historical recordings of these 2 with Michelangeli floating around; not sure why that one should add anything new.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Jo498 on August 12, 2023, 01:38:44 AMThere must be around half a dozen historical recordings of these 2 with Michelangeli floating around; not sure why that one should add anything new.

There is nothing new or unusual in the fact that new editions of old archival records appear. There may be various reasons for this.

George

Found a used copy of this for $10 this week and have been enjoying Barenboim's unique take with these works. The sound is warm and rich, the performances are bigger and bolder than many I have heard. Many of the slow movements are slower than usually played, allowing for great depth.

I see that this set was chosen as the best on this website: https://www.classical-music.com/features/recordings/mozart-piano-concertos-best-recordings/

George

Having now heard the entire Barenboim set, I can recommend it without reservation, even if one already has a set or two, the Barenboim will surely add a unique take that will complement any collection. Uniquely and impressively he somehow is able to play this music with power, muscle and drama, while still maintaining the essential character of Mozart's music. And unlike other Barenboim recordings, he refrains from slowing down the outer movements, while finding great depth and beauty in the slow movements. I'm very glad I got this set, as it stands out from the others that I own in a number of significant ways. No one I have heard sounds like Barenboim in this music.

In the next week, I  plan to have a repeat listen to the Perahia Mozart Complete Concerto set, this time in its 2006 remastering, a set I picked up used recently:

Mandryka

Apparently Ravel said in an interview with the music critic Pierre Leroi, published in October 1931:

My only wish... was to write a genuine concerto, that is, a brilliant work, clearly highlighting the soloist's virtuosity, without seeking to show profundity. As a model, I took two musicians who, in my opinion, best illustrated this type of composition: Mozart and Saint-Saëns.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: George on September 04, 2023, 03:59:28 PMHaving now heard the entire Barenboim set, I can recommend it without reservation, even if one already has a set or two, the Barenboim will surely add a unique take that will complement any collection. Uniquely and impressively he somehow is able to play this music with power, muscle and drama (like Beethoven), while still maintaining the essential character of Mozart's music. And unlike other Barenboim recordings, he refrains from slowing down the outer movements, while finding great depth and beauty in the slow movements. I'm very glad I got this set, as it stands out from the others that I own in a number of significant ways. No one I have heard sounds like Barenboim in this music.

In the next week, I  plan to have a repeat listen to the Perahia Mozart Complete Concerto set, this time in its 2006 remastering, a set I picked up used recently:

I'll be interested to read what you say, especially about Perrahia's conducting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

atardecer

Quote from: Mandryka on September 05, 2023, 11:50:38 PMApparently Ravel said in an interview with the music critic Pierre Leroi, published in October 1931:

My only wish... was to write a genuine concerto, that is, a brilliant work, clearly highlighting the soloist's virtuosity, without seeking to show profundity. As a model, I took two musicians who, in my opinion, best illustrated this type of composition: Mozart and Saint-Saëns.

When I see this Ravel quote, a couple things come to mind. Firstly - perhaps profundity in music is something that just happens sometimes, not something consciously achieved. I say this because to me the middle movement of the G major Ravel concerto seems profound.

Second, the limitations when talking about music. Perhaps a word like 'profound' can mean quite different things to different people.
"The deeper education consists in unlearning one's first education." - Paul Valéry

"The Gods kindly offer us the first verse, what is difficult is to write the next ones which will be worthy of their supernatural brother." - Paul Valéry

DavidW

George,

I'm sure you will be tired of Mozart PCs by the time you're done, but if not here are my two favorite modern sets:

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 06, 2023, 06:28:14 AMGeorge,

I'm sure you will be tired of Mozart PCs by the time you're done, but if not here are my two favorite modern sets:

Thanks for sharing, David. I have and very much enjoy the Schiff/Vegh, though its incompleteness and the distant-sounding piano keep it from being a top choice for me.

Interestingly, these are works that I do not get sick of. Not yet, anyway. I don't just listen to them for the music, I also find them emotionally therapeutic. Music therapists have found that listening to the slow movements of Mozart piano concertos has an effect on the brain that is to similar to valium. I'm not saying I only listen to the slow movement but just wanted to share that.

Florestan

Quote from: George on September 06, 2023, 07:33:12 AMnterestingly, tgese are works that I do not sick of. Not yet, anyway.

Same here. I could listen to Mozart's music all day long, seven days a week.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy