The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

Finland, as I was told back in my Danish school, The Land of a Thousand Lakes, so an easy option ...  8)

aukhawk

The question is how much do these cover images condition our response to the music. 
I know Sibelius frankly stated that he was strongly influenced by the natural beauty and grandeur that surrounded his home - so this is 'nature music', no question about that really - - but I prefer to listen to music as an abstract thing, and as one who likes Sibelius' late symphonies a lot I am often a bit annoyed when I can't get these images out of my head ...

Karl Henning

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 07, 2017, 12:48:37 AM
Amusing how pictures of lakes seem to be pretty much standard on recordings of Sibelius!

Aye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Turner

I have nothing against those landscape pictures, having grown increasingly fond of the Nordic wilderness & cultural traditions with age. Of course, Nature was of extreme importance, as a means of communicating artistic messages, in his days.

Sibelius himself was indeed quite photogenic, as regards an expressive, physical presence, but showing portraits of him can get tiresome as well. And conductor´s portraits on record covers are certainly much too plentiful as well.

Btw, the relatively old Philips series of the symphonies conducted by Colin Davis probably represented an attempt to renew the visual imagery, by presenting Edvard Munch pictures, where the human figures and their moods have more importance:
https://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&biw=2049&bih=993&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=sibelius+lp+philips+davis&oq=sibelius+lp+philips+davis&gs_l=psy-ab.3...132866.134251.0.134514.6.6.0.0.0.0.126.568.0j5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0.eupnWRzymIo

aukhawk

Ah yes - interesting, those.

Florestan

Quote from: aukhawk on August 07, 2017, 03:29:06 AM
The question is how much do these cover images condition our response to the music. 
I know Sibelius frankly stated that he was strongly influenced by the natural beauty and grandeur that surrounded his home - so this is 'nature music', no question about that really - - but I prefer to listen to music as an abstract thing, and as one who likes Sibelius' late symphonies a lot I am often a bit annoyed when I can't get these images out of my head ...

Music is not, and cannot be, "an abstract thing" because music is created, performed, and listened to, by human beings --- and as such, there are no less than three inescapable levels of bringing in a heavy cultural, psychological and ideological baggage. Just saying (for the umpteenth time :) )
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

relm1

Does this make you think of Sibelius?

or does this make you think of John Adam's City Noir?

Brian

Actually I once put on Sibelius' Seventh Symphony in the car while driving on an expressway through central Dallas very very late at night - after midnight - when the traffic was gone and the city was a stark monumental landscape. And you know what? It was freaking perfect. One of the best Sibelius listening experiences I've ever had. Something about the cool aloofness of a huge metropolis at night pairs perfectly with his music. Try it some time!

Karl Henning

You're on!  Excellent suggestion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2017, 07:28:09 AM
Actually I once put on Sibelius' Seventh Symphony in the car while driving on an expressway through central Dallas very very late at night - after midnight - when the traffic was gone and the city was a stark monumental landscape. And you know what? It was freaking perfect. One of the best Sibelius listening experiences I've ever had. Something about the cool aloofness of a huge metropolis at night pairs perfectly with his music. Try it some time!

I shall try it in eleven days  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Yay. I have that one, I chose it precisely because it collected a group of interesting works that usually get buried.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Great new performance of Tapiola and En Saga. Tapiola sounds slower than usual to me at the start, is beautifully recorded and is as moving a performance as I have ever heard. Haven't got round to the orchestrated songs yet:
[asin]B074YJSLDD[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2017, 02:20:36 AM
Great new performance of Tapiola and En Saga. Tapiola sounds slower than usual to me at the start, is beautifully recorded and is as moving a performance as I have ever heard. Haven't got round to the orchestrated songs yet:
That sounded alarming but I see the track length is just a bit over 18 minutes, so while it's slower than Berglund or Vänskä, it's certainly not dragging too much.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on October 17, 2017, 02:36:29 AM
That sounded alarming but I see the track length is just a bit over 18 minutes, so while it's slower than Berglund or Vänskä, it's certainly not dragging too much.

No, it doesn't drag at all - just a matter of emphasis in my favourite section a couple of minutes in. I expect that it may have been here that the British composer Arnold Bax was described as listening with tears streaming down his face. It is especially, in my view, poignant in this performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2017, 02:20:36 AM
[asin]B074YJSLDD[/asin]

I thought this was a fabulous release.  Very fine interpretations in a gorgeous recording.  Full of atmosphere and mythology.  Highly recommended.

André

In all honesty I don't need another Tapiola or En Saga, but it just so happens that they are my 2 favourite orchestral works of Sibelius (ex-symphonies), AND that I have never heard any of the songs. So that would be a nifty purchase for me, especially considering the very favourable comments I'm reading here... ::)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: André on October 18, 2017, 05:52:49 PM
In all honesty I don't need another Tapiola or En Saga, but it just so happens that they are my 2 favourite orchestral works of Sibelius (ex-symphonies), AND that I have never heard any of the songs. So that would be a nifty purchase for me, especially considering the very favourable comments I'm reading here... ::)

The songs are awesome. See my OP. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

North Star

Happy 152th birthday to Janne too ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr