Ustvolskaya
3 (4.1%)
Weinberg
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on January 04, 2008, 09:55:39 AM
So is Prokofiev . . . .

Looking back, I realize I might have been really hasty in regard to Profokiev over Schnittke. However, I have found Schnittke's chamber music to be really engrossing. Could be a phase, as he does like to employ "effect" alot.

But I sincerely don't know much in general anyway.

JoshLilly

This list is so heavily tilted toward late Romantic and later. Yikes, big time. Dmitri Bortnyansky was a very innovative Russian composer of the 18th century who wrote tons of "sacred concerti", purely vocal works, mostly of a single movement. I've heard purely vocal music even by composers that I love, and don't usually like it. This is good stuff. I'll pass on the voting, but I do love Glinka and lots by Tchaikovsky. I'll just put in this "other" vote.

Don

Just one comment at this point.  I'm very surprised that Weinberg and Tishchenko only total one vote while a mediocrity like Rubinstein has two.

greg

Shostakovich currently has 36 votes, 7 more than the 2nd-place Tchaikovsky.... that's really saying a lot, isn't it? Most people have heard of Tchaikovsky, but few who don't know much about classical have even heard of Shostakovich's name!

Haffner

Quote from: D Minor on January 04, 2008, 11:47:17 AM
Proko, baby! .........

Listened to Profo's Symphonies today, and now I feel a little foolish.

Kullervo

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 04, 2008, 03:21:05 PM
Shostakovich currently has 36 votes, 7 more than the 2nd-place Tchaikovsky.... that's really saying a lot, isn't it? Most people have heard of Tchaikovsky, but few who don't know much about classical have even heard of Shostakovich's name!

I remember this girl in high school sent me the second movement of DSCH's 8th quartet, but she didn't really listen to any other composers. I guess she thought it was "wild".

greg

Quote from: Corey on January 04, 2008, 09:05:49 PM
I remember this girl in high school sent me the second movement of DSCH's 8th quartet, but she didn't really listen to any other composers. I guess she thought it was "wild".
hmmm makes me wonder how she found it

Kullervo

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 05, 2008, 05:14:24 AM
hmmm makes me wonder how she found it

It was probably on Kazaa under "creep crazy violin music.mp3"

greg

greg

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 02, 2008, 03:35:40 PM
Prokofiev
Shostakovich
Stravinsky
Scriabin
Rachmaninov

it was hard to decide between Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, though.... and Schnittke was very close behind. Gubaidulina possibly close, too, if i would've heard more of her music.
man...... i'd like to change my 6th vote from Rachmaninov to Schnittke. Too late now  :'(

Don

The voting has ended, and your top five picks are:

1.  Shostakovich
2.  Prokofiev
3.  Tchaikovsky
4.  Tie - Stravinsky and Rachmaninov

Honorable Mention (double-digit recipients): Mussorgsky/Rimsky-Korsakov/Scriabin.

I thank you for your participation.  Any surprises from your point of view?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don on January 07, 2008, 12:37:38 PM
The voting has ended, and your top five picks are:

1.  Shostakovich
2.  Prokofiev
3.  Tchaikovsky
4.  Tie - Stravinsky and Rachmaninov

Honorable Mention (double-digit recipients): Mussorgsky/Rimsky-Korsakov/Scriabin.

I thank you for your participation.  Any surprises from your point of view?
Definitely the fact that Tchaikovsky came in AFTER Prokofieff. I didn't think Prokofieff had enough "ammunition" as in big hits as Tchaikovsky. Tchaikovsky had the final three symphonies, Manfred, VC and PC and the three ballets in addition to Romeo and Juliette. Prokofieff had a lot of good work but hardly as concert staples that Tchaikovsky did.

greg

Quote from: Don on January 07, 2008, 12:37:38 PM
Any surprises from your point of view?
actually, no, after i figured out that on this forum the order of taste is Shostakovich-Prokofiev-Stravinsky (and their overall status as composers seems to be the opposite).

BachQ

not edward

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 07, 2008, 12:49:50 PM
Definitely the fact that Tchaikovsky came in AFTER Prokofieff. I didn't think Prokofieff had enough "ammunition" as in big hits as Tchaikovsky. Tchaikovsky had the final three symphonies, Manfred, VC and PC and the three ballets in addition to Romeo and Juliette. Prokofieff had a lot of good work but hardly as concert staples that Tchaikovsky did.
True as far as orchestral works go...but Prokofiev wins narrowly in chamber music and very comfortably in piano music. It's certainly the latter two that would persuade me to rank Prokofiev ahead.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Don

Quote from: JoshLilly on January 04, 2008, 11:21:54 AM
This list is so heavily tilted toward late Romantic and later.

I'm surprised you'd make this comment.  First, the list has many romantic-era composers.  Second, Russian composers from earlier periods have little reputation.

BachQ

........ Only 2 votes for Glinka, "the father of Russian classical music" ..........

Haffner

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 07, 2008, 12:19:59 PM
man...... i'd like to change my 6th vote from Rachmaninov to Schnittke. Too late now  :'(

With this I definitely sympathise.