Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

So I have been listening to and looking hard at this splendid Andante & Variations in f  we have been talking about, and writing about it this week seemed particularly timely. Hope you find it interesting.

Inspiration comes from many places...

Thanks,
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

Nice touch on Dussek on your smog.  I mean, bog. Darn, I meant dog.
Jog! no
Cog! no
Fog! no

. . . 

Log?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2016, 12:50:54 AM
Nice touch on Dussek on your smog.  I mean, bog. Darn, I meant dog.
Jog! no
Cog! no
Fog! no

. . . 

Log?

Thanks, I'm a big Dussek pan. I mean van. Darn, I meant can.

Umm, fan. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

First day with the new singers, gents?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 19, 2016, 04:35:02 AM
First day with the new singers, gents?

I was just working on warming up the brain. Lord knows what overcame Scion overnight... I think he was overwhelmed with my new essay.  0:)

8)

Scion7

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 19, 2016, 04:41:13 AM
.... Lord knows what overcame Scion overnight...

It's the word, "blog" - sounds like a creature from a sci-fi movie!

Run away, run for your lives - it's the Blawg!!!!    :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2016, 12:35:07 PM
It's the word, "blog" - sounds like a creature from a sci-fi movie!

Run away, run for your lives - it's the Blawg!!!!    :P

Quite so. I remember the first time I heard it, I was like 'huh?', what the hell is that

8)

Gurn Blanston

For those of you who took the time to listen to my earlier podcast interview with Alan Missroon of 'Fugue for Thought', thank you for the interest you showed.

Alan wrote to me this morning saying he had posted Part 2 of that interview, so I have posted the link here for anyone who is still interested. I must say, Alan is one of the best interviewers around, and managed to make me sound, at least, a little bit interesting and not like the crackpot you all know I am. :)

Part 1
Part 2

Thanks,
Gurn 8)

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 02, 2016, 06:41:27 AM
For those of you who took the time to listen to my earlier podcast interview with Alan Missroon of 'Fugue for Thought', thank you for the interest you showed.

Alan wrote to me this morning saying he had posted Part 2 of that interview, so I have posted the link here for anyone who is still interested. I must say, Alan is one of the best interviewers around, and managed to make me sound, at least, a little bit interesting and not like the crackpot you all know I am. :)

Part 1
Part 2

Thanks,
Gurn 8)

That's great!  :)

For those who haven't heard part 1: strongly recommended!

Q

Gurn Blanston

Reminds me of the CD I have with violin sonatas by Haydn and... Schnittke! I guess it is the contrast aspect they are going for; it is certainly there! :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 04, 2016, 07:11:36 AM
Reminds me of the CD I have with violin sonatas by Haydn and... Schnittke! I guess it is the contrast aspect they are going for; it is certainly there! :)

8)

Vertiginous, one may almost suggest  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

UNLESS you do this sort of thing, blogging, that is, on a regular basis, it is hard to imagine how hard it is to write certain essays. This time, I was wanting to look at some of my favorite quartets, and since they were late works, written for London, I fully expected to have to toss out extra material. Imagine my surprise when it took me 3 full weeks to find anything at all to put on paper!!! But in the end, virtue always wins out. :D Despite that, I got this one done, and I hope you enjoy it.

The London Quartets, born in fog!

Thanks,
8)

Old Listener

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 05, 2016, 06:33:36 PM
UNLESS you do this sort of thing, blogging, that is, on a regular basis, it is hard to imagine how hard it is to write certain essays. This time, I was wanting to look at some of my favorite quartets, and since they were late works, written for London, I fully expected to have to toss out extra material. Imagine my surprise when it took me 3 full weeks to find anything at all to put on paper!!! But in the end, virtue always wins out. :D Despite that, I got this one done, and I hope you enjoy it.

The London Quartets, born in fog!

An excellent addition to your blog.  You thought about a lot of things and I will now be thinking about them too.

Thanks,
8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 05, 2016, 06:33:36 PM

Very informative, indeed! Thanks much, once again.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old Listener on October 05, 2016, 08:32:38 PM
An excellent addition to your blog.  You thought about a lot of things and I will now be thinking about them too.

Thanks,
8)

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 05, 2016, 10:40:31 PM
Very informative, indeed! Thanks much, once again.

Thanks very much to both of you. I have to admit, I was happier with the final result than I was at any time in the gestation process.   :)

8)

Karl Henning

Hat's off to you, Gurn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 06, 2016, 04:55:29 AM
Hat's off to you, Gurn!

Thanks, Karl.

You can say that, with your hair and all, but for me, it means just a ferocious sunburn... ;)

8)

Madiel

I frequently tell people about the "noise killer" tactic as an illustration of why I enjoy finding out about the context of the music I listen to.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ørfeo on October 06, 2016, 05:27:24 AM
I frequently tell people about the "noise killer" tactic as an illustration of why I enjoy finding out about the context of the music I listen to.

Oh yes, the context expands the enjoyment for me too. And you frequently hear this in symphonies, even a long, Adagio introduction is a form of it in its perverse way. The less usual thing here is that Haydn stuck it onto a quartet. I think (just my own idea) that it enabled him  to continue on the rest of the piece in a style more similar to his own, without some of the other features of a quatuor brillant. No aimless virtuosity, for example.

"I have your attention, now listen to this".   :)

8)