Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HenselFlaeder

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 06, 2007, 05:12:15 PM
Excellent start, Bill. I have that disk too, not only is the Haydn very good, but that c minor sextet is a great intro to Krommer for those few who are unfamiliar with him! ;)

I'm am not just overrun with Haydn divertimentos, although I have a few. The difficulty in recommending is that many of them are OOP. :'(  One that is OOP, but still frequently available in Amazon Marketplace or eBay is on SONY, called "Haydn 'The Natural Horn'". It features L'Archibudelli with Ab Koster on horn, and the contents are:

Hob deest (means "not appearing in Hoboken", BTW) - Cassation in D for 4 Horns, Violin, Viola & Bass
Hob II:21 - Divertimento in Eb for 2 Horns and String Quartet (a very popular combination in those days)
Hob VIId:3 Concerto in D for Horn, 2 Oboes & Strings
Hob IV:5 Divertimento à tre in Eb for Horn, Violin & Cello (yup, that's a Horn Trio)
Hob II:22 Divertimento in D for 2 Horns & String Quartet

This is a super disk for lovers of the natural horn and Haydn in general. :)

8)

I had just been listening to that one, Gurn. I can just play Hadyn all day long with only a slight need of Mozart in the mid-early afternoon!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2013, 07:55:56 AM
You really prefer Norrington's first record to his one with the Stuttgart?

For me this symphony (The Mlitary) is for ever linked to two old performances, Van Beinum and Fricsay. Those were the two Haydn symphony performances which convinced me to take Haydn really seriously as a composer, and to some extent Van Beinum's especially really formed my taste in Haydn - sudden unexpected bursts of intense unpredictable threatening manic energy.

I recall well my excitement when I first discovered this serious angular way to play the music - no more "papa".

YMMV  :)

Back in the early 1960's, my father had a LP with 94 & 100 on it. I played it ad infinitum until eventually it gave up the ghost (I was no surgeon at 12). I don't know the players to this day, but it was a fine performance, and sold me on Haydn even then. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HenselFlaeder on October 18, 2013, 08:02:34 AM
I had just been listening to that one, Gurn. I can just play Haydn all day long with only a slight need of Mozart in the mid-early afternoon!

Yes, I wrote that post long ago, but my opinion of the disk hasn't changed an iota. Everyone should have it. :)

Why people think there is little or no difference between Mozart & Haydn's music is a mystery to me. They both have their attractions, but they are rarely of the same order.  0:)

Welcome to the Haus.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2013, 08:28:46 AM

YMMV  :)

Back in the early 1960's, my father had a LP with 94 & 100 on it. I played it ad infinitum until eventually it gave up the ghost (I was no surgeon at 12). I don't know the players to this day, but it was a fine performance, and sold me on Haydn even then. :)

8)

This seems like a likely candidate for that LP.

http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1406-0-1-0/116129400/haydn-wiener-symphoniker-sawallisch-symphony-94-'surprise'-100-'military'.html

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on October 18, 2013, 09:58:53 AM
This seems like a likely candidate for that LP.

http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1406-0-1-0/116129400/haydn-wiener-symphoniker-sawallisch-symphony-94-'surprise'-100-'military'.html

Entirely possible, Dave. The cover pic looks different, but it's been almost 50 years!  :)  Thanks!

8)

DavidW

Mandryka, do you enjoy other approaches (to the Military) now or do you find yourself locked into those two?

Mandryka

Quote from: DavidW on October 18, 2013, 11:44:37 AM
Mandryka, do you enjoy other approaches (to the Military) now or do you find yourself locked into those two?

Brüggen. I really like his weightiness.

I also have a very interesting one from Harnoncourt, unpublished, with SWR Sinfonieorchester in 1984.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 17, 2013, 05:30:42 PM
Well, the one I have in my master set is Minkowski, the only one of that box that made it to the final cut. They flat play the hell out of it, just the way I like it. Probably my second favorite is Norrington. Brüggen, Kuijken & Hogwood are all chasing right up behind, but none match Minkowski for the excitement in the performance, maybe because it is live instead of studio?   :)

It's incredible how much I hate everything conducted by Minkowski. In my view Minkowski is dramatically lesser gifted than almost everyone who have conducted Haydn on period instruments. His only purpose seems to be to assert a sort of brutal vitality, with no respect for any kind of nuance, irony or deepness.  >:(
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 18, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
It's incredible how much I hate everything conducted by Minkowski. In my view Minkowski is dramatically lesser gifted than almost everyone who have conducted Haydn on period instruments. His only purpose seems to be to assert a sort of brutal vitality, with no respect for any kind of nuance, irony or deepness.  >:(

You must really hate his Rameau.  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 18, 2013, 04:17:13 PM

I enjoy what I have of Minkowski's Handel opera recordings (three of them). He definitely holds his own when compared to other big guns. (I'm a big fan if his recording of Hercules). But that's the only Minkowski I have.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 18, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

I'm sorry you have such a negative response to Minkowski. I can see where you are coming from, although I am not pushed so perilously close to the edge by him as you are, obviously.  Still, using 1 out of 12 symphonies isn't to say that I dote on him myself.   :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 18, 2013, 04:17:13 PM

Actually, one of my favorite pieces by Rameau, it's also my favorite way to prove the ineptitude of Minkowski as conductor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvd4tMkFHc

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Brahmsian

Today's Haus News!

Listened to DRD disc # 19 and # 31.  More gems, of course!  :)

Disc 19

Symphony No. 50 in C major "Der Gotterrat"
Symphony No. 55 in E flat major "Der Schulmeister"
Symphony No. 54 in G major

Disc 31

Symphony No. 91 in E flat major
Symphony No. 92 in G major "Oxford"

8 discs so far.  Only 29 more to go!  ;D  Fabulous!

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2013, 04:24:15 PM
I'm sorry you have such a negative response to Minkowski. I can see where you are coming from, although I am not pushed so perilously close to the edge by him as you are, obviously.  Still, using 1 out of 12 symphonies isn't to say that I dote on him myself.   :)

8)

It was written in bronze, dear Gurn: One day this disciple had to abandon the path of his mentor.  :)
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 18, 2013, 04:31:22 PM
Today's Haus News!

Listened to DRD disc # 19 and # 31.  More gems, of course!  :)

Disc 19

Symphony No. 50 in C major "Der Gotterrat"
Symphony No. 55 in E flat major "Der Schulmeister"
Symphony No. 54 in G major

Disc 31

Symphony No. 91 in E flat major
Symphony No. 92 in G major "Oxford"

8 discs so far.  Only 29 more to go!  ;D  Fabulous!

Ah, some beauties there! Of course, I don't play favorites, but some of my favorites number among that group. Won't name names, can't make me....   :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 18, 2013, 04:23:00 PM
I enjoy what I have of Minkowski's Handel opera recordings (three of them). He definitely holds his own when compared to other big guns. (I'm a big fan if his recording of Hercules). But that's the only Minkowski I have.

I have heard this from other reliable people, too. Unfortunately, excepting his instrumental output, I'm not a Händel fan.
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 18, 2013, 04:34:25 PM
It was written in bronze, dear Gurn: One day this disciple had to abandon the path of his mentor.  :)

Mais oui, Young Gordo. If everyone's tastes were precisely congruent we would all listen to obscure Late Romantic orchestral music and write long posts to ourselves about it. But no, certainly not. Here, the boldest among us even strike out for the Baroque. With predictable results.   ;)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2013, 04:43:35 PM
Mais oui, Young Gordo. If everyone's tastes were precisely congruent we would all listen to obscure Late Romantic orchestral music and write long posts to ourselves about it. But no, certainly not. Here, the boldest among us even strike out for the Baroque. With predictable results.   ;)

8)

No doubt, Gurn. I can even enjoy some "old crap" here and there, as - I think-  I have given up the superstition of "progress".  ;D
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 18, 2013, 04:54:54 PM
No doubt, Gurn. I can even enjoy some "old crap" here and there, as - I think-  I have given up the superstition of "progress".  ;D

If forward progress is a superstition, doesn't that mean that its negative is also?  :)   Although if you are pointing out the overtly obvious "it's all downhill from there", I am clearly on board with it; one need only define where 'there' is.   >:D

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2013, 05:00:25 PM
If forward progress is a superstition, doesn't that mean that its negative is also?  :)   Although if you are pointing out the overtly obvious "it's all downhill from there", I am clearly on board with it; one need only define where 'there' is.   >:D

My standpoint is quite simple, childishly simple, indeed: Progress does not exist in human creation of beauty things. The Beauty is waiting for us everywhere; unexpectedly, for instance, in unknown old recordings covered by dust or, as we know too much well, in works composed three or four hundred years ago. But it does not mean to state a special faith in the past because exactly the same assertion is true about future... Case to case is the only infallible rule. The problem? We have no time and so we need to choose quite arbitrarily our preferences and guiding criteria because life is too much short. Personally, I chose believing in the superiority of the XVIII Century, Bach and Haydn but -who knows- maybe I would be equally rewarded if I had chosen, say, the XVII Century or exclusively Purcell and his English contemporaries.  :)
-- Voltaire