The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

But would you consider high voter turnout plus better-educated electorate the preferred thing?

(I realize that the question is purely hypothetical . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on November 04, 2014, 02:25:54 PM
I think this is thread we discussed this topic on ...

One of the things where I disagree with all decent right-thinking people is voter turnout. High voter turnout is not something we should aim for. Here is one reason why. http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/texas-tech-students-parade-their-knowledge/

Amazing!!!   ??? ??? ???
It seems like questions 1 and 3 are core ones which are covered over and over in K-12. How is it possible to not retain those facts!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2014, 03:02:50 AM
But would you consider high voter turnout plus better-educated electorate the preferred thing?

Hypotheses non fingo;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Moonfish on November 05, 2014, 03:11:41 AM
Amazing!!!   ??? ??? ???
It seems like questions 1 and 3 are core ones which are covered over and over in K-12. How is it possible to not retain those facts!

Who won the Civil War? You mean the 1965 one?

Who is Vicepresident? Is that a tricky question?

ROTFLMAOL

At least the Romanians I refered to are mostly rural area inhabitants, with little or no formal education at all (but alas!, they make up for almost 40% of the whole population), and even in their case not knowing the name of the country or its neighbors is inexcusable. But to think that those American students are supposed to represent the best educated part of the nation... Mind boggling.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2014, 03:02:50 AM

Not if the high turnout is the result of a desire for high turnout. If people vote because they care and think etc then that is good. If it's just "we ought to vote just because high turnout is a good thing so I better do my duty" then no.
It's OK not to know, not have an opinion, or to have the opinion none of the above.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on November 05, 2014, 05:09:10 AM
Not if the high turnout is the result of a desire for high turnout. If people vote because they care and think etc then that is good. If it's just "we ought to vote just because high turnout is a good thing so I better do my duty" then no.

Word.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on November 05, 2014, 05:09:10 AM
It's OK not to know, not have an opinion, or to have the opinion none of the above.
Did you read Karl's question, the whole thing?
Quote from: Karl HenningBut would you consider high voter turnout plus better-educated electorate the preferred thing?
Clearly the high turnout would not be caused by people voting just for the sake of higher turnout in this case.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

An interesting discussion of research methods, racial assumptions, and the Catcalling video https://medium.com/message/that-catcalling-video-and-why-research-methods-is-such-an-exciting-topic-really-32223ac9c9e8

and Auckland ... http://youtu.be/kXdMAXaMicc

Todd

Obama on fighting IS in September: "No boots on the ground."

Obama on fighting IS in November: "LOL, JK, get your boots."
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

Ken B

The Mormon church as acknowledged Joseph Smith's great sacrifice. The things that poor man did for faith.

QuoteAnd the Lord commanded unto Joseph, "Go, and find attractive nubile women and enter into them as a plow into fields, a sword into a scabard, a brush into a bottle, a train into a tunnel, tab A into slot B."
And Joseph beseeched the Lord, "Oh please no, spare me the flesh of lithe women, shield me from their caresses, the knowledge of their most secret places, the sound of their wimpers and gasps. Not me Lord, not me!"
And the Lord said unto Joseph, "Probe them by the dozen, even the young ones, and the married ones, and those betrothed, but none old or ugly, and often or verily will I smite thee."
And Joseph bowed his head and and whispered "Thy will be done."

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

ibanezmonster

But Satan says the correct answer is Mormonism...

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

North Star

Quote from: jochanaan on November 14, 2014, 06:42:09 AM
Surprising?  Unconventional?  It's been happening since Bible times. :P
I remember when I saw that Ptolemaic newspaper ad...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jochanaan

Quote from: North Star on November 14, 2014, 06:45:34 AM
I remember when I saw that Ptolemaic newspaper ad...
"Queen Needs Heir"?   :laugh:
Imagination + discipline = creativity

ibanezmonster

Two bits of news about one of the leading scientists of the Rosetta mission.

First, he is a Cannibal Corpse fan. Well... can't say I'm a fan of them, but it is death metal.  >:D ;)
http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/13/dr-matt-taylor-dude-put-probe-comet-cannibal-corpse-fan/

And apparently the guy was criticized and reduced to tears and an apology for wearing a shirt that is "sexist." Of course, it's a terrible shirt and inappropriate. But this has gotten ridiculously out of hand. Seriously, if a woman wore a shirt with pictures of bodybuilders on it, how much you wanna bet she won't be publicly shamed and forced to tearfully apologize for "degrading" or "objectifying" men?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/13/living/matt-taylor-shirt-philae-rosetta-project/?cid=ob_articlesidebarall&iref=obnetwork