What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on December 26, 2011, 07:42:11 PM
In 50 Artists You Should Know, who do they start with....is it chronological?

The first artist the book starts with is Giotto di Bondone. Here's the product description that I pulled from Amazon:

This vibrant reference guide profiles 50 major artists alongside their representative works. The entries are presented in an eye-catching format that includes brief biographies, time lines, and critical analyses. Additional information helps readers locate the artist's work online and in museums, a glossary of important terms, and sidebars highlighting relevant movements and techniques. Arranged chronologically, the selection of artists includes every major artistic movement and development since the Gothic period, giving readers a clear understanding of the evolution of the visual arts. Perfect for casual reading or easy reference, this accessible overview is a fun and practical art history lesson that everyone can enjoy.

ibanezmonster

The book to read if you want to learn about modern lucid dreaming. There have been other induction techniques developed by others that have gained popularity, but he puts forth explanations of MILD and DILD and much more- lots of psychology-type information and many dream excerpts (I skipped through about half of them).

I hope to read The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep eventually...

A dream excerpt:
QuoteYou don't need to talk to shadow figures to make peace with them. If you can find it in your heart to genuinely
love your dream enemies, they become your friends. Embracing the rejected with loving acceptance symbolically integrates the shadow into your model of your self, as illustrated by one of my own dreams: I was in the middle of a riot in a classroom. A violent mob of thirty or forty was taking the place apart, throwing chairs and people through windows, grappling convulsively with each other, and letting fly random shrieks, war cries, and insults; in short, the sort of thing that is likely to happen in certain grade schools when the teacher steps out of the classroom for a moment. The leader, a huge, repulsive barbarian with a pockmarked face, had locked me in an
iron-clad grip and I was desperately struggling to get away. Then, I realized that I was dreaming, and in a flash, I
remembered the lessons of past experience.

I stopped struggling, for I knew that the conflict was with myself. I reasoned that the barbarian was a dream
personification of something I was struggling with in my self. Or perhaps it represented someone, or some quality
in another, that I disliked. In any case, this barbarian was a shadow figure if I had ever seen one! Experience had my enemies as myself. What I needed to do, I realized, was to completely accept with open arms the shadow I had been attempting to disown.
So, I tried to feel loving as I stood face to face with the shadow barbarian. I failed at first, feeling only repulsion
and disgust. My gut reaction was that he was simply too ugly and barbarous to love. Determined to overcome the
initial shock of the image, I sought love within my heart. Finding it, I looked the barbarian in the eyes, trusting
my intuition to supply the right things to say. Beautiful words of acceptance flowed out of me, and as they did,
my shadow melted into me. The riot had vanished without a trace, the dream faded, and I awoke, feeling wonderfully calm.

ibanezmonster

Excellent book. This is what you read after you read Windows Programming by Charles Petzold.

ibanezmonster

Just got this in the mail.
People don't learn this stuff as much any more, but if I want a chance at a certain job...

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President (2011) by Candice Millard - a highly rated NY Times Book Review story about James Garfield, his assassination, and the dismal medical care at the time.  The author has put together a well researched book - an eBook borrow from my local library.

Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution (2008) by David Clary - another eBook borrow - excellent account of the relationship between George Washington & Lafayette - an enlightening read for me, i.e. I knew the story but not how deeply each felt in this 'father-son' type of interaction nor about the many contributions that Lafayette made during & after the American Revolution; excessive letter quoting does make the book drag on a little too long - :)

Ataraxia

Lethevich

Voltaire's England (Desmond Flower)

Can't find a cover pic, there might not have been one. Perhaps one of  the only admirable figures who emerged from 1000 years of English-French interaction?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 12, 2012, 07:42:42 AM
[
Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution (2008) by David Clary - another eBook borrow - excellent account of the relationship between George Washington & Lafayette - an enlightening read for me, i.e. I knew the story but not how deeply each felt in this 'father-son' type of interaction nor about the many contributions that Lafayette made during & after the American Revolution; excessive letter quoting does make the book drag on a little too long - :)

We have this on the shelf, Dave.  Will try to crack it this summer.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ataraxia

Quote from: Bogey on December 22, 2011, 09:37:34 AM

Chuckling my way through.  Most charming.

I own that but never managed to chuckle the whole way through. Not yet anyway.

Ataraxia

Quote from: Ataraxia on January 12, 2012, 01:29:07 PM
THE BIG SLEEP

This is living up to my high expectations. It's exactly what I thought it would be.

Karl Henning

Cool. I still chuckle at the thought that they were making the movie, and called Chandler to ask which character had bumped another character off, and he wasn't sure, himself . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on January 17, 2012, 08:24:17 AM
Cool. I still chuckle at the thought that they were making the movie, and called Chandler to ask which character had bumped another character off, and he wasn't sure, himself . . . .

I know the feeling.

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on January 17, 2012, 08:24:17 AM

That's the surest mark of a great writer: to create characters with a life of their own, of which not even the author is aware...  ;D :D 8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA