What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on October 15, 2014, 04:53:14 AM
Yes! 'Tis! I should re-read, too. You might like Bax's autobiography, Farewell, My Youth, if you haven't read it yet. Easily the best book by a composer I've ever read (outside of music theory).  Edit : ok, even inside music theory!  >:D

Thanks for the suggestion, but not being a fan of Bax's music pretty much puts a damper on any kind of enthusiasm I would have for a book on his life. His music completely baffles me and leaves me scratching my head most of the time.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2014, 07:31:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but not being a fan of Bax's music pretty much puts a damper on any kind of enthusiasm I would have for a book on his life. His music completely baffles me and leaves me scratching my head most of the time.

I think his tone poems are his most accessible music.  Garden of Fand for example.

[asin]B000027QWV[/asin]

The symphonies are pretty baffling, but I enjoy their strange sound world.  Woops, are we discussing classicla music in the diner?  Is that allowed?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2014, 07:53:30 PM
I think his tone poems are his most accessible music.  Garden of Fand for example.

[asin]B000027QWV[/asin]

The symphonies are pretty baffling, but I enjoy their strange sound world.  Woops, are we discussing classicla music in the diner?  Is that allowed?

It's not that I don't find the music accessible, it clearly is written in an idiom I'm comfortable and familiar with, but, for whatever reason, the music hasn't spoken to me yet.

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

North Star

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2014, 07:53:30 PMThe symphonies are pretty baffling, but I enjoy their strange sound world.  Woops, are we discussing classicla music in the diner?  Is that allowed?
No, you're both banned, immediately.  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Just finished this. Interesting in a way.

Started this today. I think it has a more compelling subject matter maybe:

Jo498

I found the one on the Everest desaster more compelling and more interesting. Maybe because Krakauer actually was there (for most of it).

A (fictional) funny and sometimes macabre account of Hippie enthusiasm encountering the real wilderness is found in TC Boyles's "Drop City". If one likes Boyle in general, I'd recommend it, of the half dozen of his I read, it is among my favorites (the favorite is probably "Tortilla Curtain")
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

Richard Wagner and the Jews by Milton E. Brener. This of course is never an easy subject for a book (although there are countless books still about it) but so far what I've read it actually stays pretty objective about it, not denying that Wagner was a huge antisemite but that doesn't necessarily mean every single even remotely friendly recognition he gives to some of his jewish associates was all 100 % manipulation. The book at times actually gets a few laughs out of me as well, such as Wagner's letters to Baron Robert von Hornstein where he pretty much demands ridiculous sums of money which as author of the book points out, could be seen as a joke.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

kishnevi

On that subject, two quotes that sum up my view.
One is from Leonard Bernstein: I hate Wagner on bended knee
Second is a long comment by a character in the detective story Swan Song by Edmund Crispin (pen name of Bruce Montgomery, himself a composer, mostly of film scores, and an organist), referring to unofficial ban on Wagner related to WII,  to that that was rather nonsensical, since if the Nazis had actually paid attention to the Ring, they would have noticed that not even the gods could get out of a promise without literally bringing the world down over their heads. (Paraphrase, of course.)

Karl Henning

With thanks owed to Brian (IIRC) I have been reading the introduction to Vol. I of the Twain autobiography.  Even this account of the background, false starts, metamorphosing mission, and work methods of the sheaf document, is an absorbing read.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Reading this in tandem with our daughter.  I read Dragon Rider to our son many moons ago, but this one has a better edge to it.  So far, I am impressed 100+ pages in.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on October 17, 2014, 03:26:19 AM
With thanks owed to Brian (IIRC) I have been reading the introduction to Vol. I of the Twain autobiography.  Even this account of the background, false starts, metamorphosing mission, and work methods of the sheaf document, is an absorbing read.
Hmm, I have not read it, but I have asked a lot of people for their opinions of it! You probably recall that...and understand the subtext of this reply. Thanks for your notes so far. :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Currently reading Dombey. And my God, they were right. Florence cries ALL THE TIME. Can't wait until I get to Edith's introduction. She is often considered to be the first thoroughly convincing complex female character Dickens created.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
It's not that I don't find the music accessible, it clearly is written in an idiom I'm comfortable and familiar with, but, for whatever reason, the music hasn't spoken to me yet.

John, might I recommend Tale the Pine-Trees Knew as a path to Bax?  Did it for me, in any case!

Karl Henning

Still lingering in the Kaatskills, we might say . . . I've been slowly re-reading "Rip van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," as well as proceeding (with no less pleasure) with the Twain autobiography.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Quote from: Jo498 on October 16, 2014, 05:54:36 AM
I found the one on the Everest desaster more compelling and more interesting. Maybe because Krakauer actually was there (for most of it).

A (fictional) funny and sometimes macabre account of Hippie enthusiasm encountering the real wilderness is found in TC Boyles's "Drop City". If one likes Boyle in general, I'd recommend it, of the half dozen of his I read, it is among my favorites (the favorite is probably "Tortilla Curtain")
Thanks. I don't know of Boyle. I'll check it out. I'm almost done with Into the Wild and quite liked it. The Everest one was a good read but I had a hard time sympathizing with the people and I skipped over the fancy passages about fascination and the history of climbing Everest. Into the Wilderness, on the other hand, focuses on a character that I find compelling. I know a tramp who lives the life on principle - a guy I met years back and have intermittently stayed in touch with. A highly intelligent person who rejects society on principle, not necessarily or solely out of bitterness, fascinates me. It made me want to reread London (even though he was a bit of a hypocrite - but that's another story).   

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on October 19, 2014, 06:54:31 PM
Hmm, I have not read it, but I have asked a lot of people for their opinions of it! You probably recall that...and understand the subtext of this reply. Thanks for your notes so far. :)

The account of Gen. Grant in his last years, the question of his memoirs, the circumstances of his conceding to write magazine articles, the publications environment, and the matter of Gerhardt's clay bust, all of it is fascinating, wonderfully humane.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Just ordered this
[asin]0393339432[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

stingo

Finished the Arthur C. Clarke short story collection (A Meeting with Medusa - Collected Stories Vol. 4) and the first Legends anthology. Now onto Legends II also edited by Robert Silverberg and Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog.

Jo498

I should get back at some Wodehouse to deal with impending autumn darkness, I suppose!
Looks like a nice anthology, although I think "Right ho, Jeeves" is actually the first book in a rather loose trilogy. So the story of Gussie, Madeline continues...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal