Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 28, 2016, 05:22:48 PM
Yes, in fact he instructed performers to take that break.  Chailly did it in Liepzig DVD performance, stepping off the podium but remaining onstage. Probably other conductors.  And several recordings that are on 2 CDs cite Mahler's instruction to explain why they split the recording at that point. And of course a bunch of recordings just ignore it.

But as far as I know Mahler did not do so with the 8th.

As far as I know, that was not Mahler's idea, but another conductor's and Mahler "enthusiastically" agreed, but Henri Louis de la Grange argues, convincingly, that this was more out of an effort to encourage the other conductor to YES, PLEASE perform it, and do WHATEVER it takes. Mahler was desperate, desperate to have his work performed and was willing to agree to just about anything. (Very much the opposite of Strauss; who would have liked to have Mahler's success as a conductor but has his own works -- and indeed those of Mahler, where he had influence -- performed quite easily.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 28, 2016, 03:12:49 PM
So almost all, if not all, modern performances, are much faster than Mahler's own pacing.

I doubt the veracity of that report, which could easily be exaggerated.  After all, whenever we have actual timings for a Mahler performance of one of his works, they are faster than today's average.  The Adagietto of the Fifth was around eight minutes I believe.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Living With Mahler: A Few Thoughts

I thought I would post a few thoughts here since I've had such a strong Mahler resurgence happen in my life. Over the past seven years, Mahler's music has been in and out of my life. My dad, as I've mentioned many times in my posting past, is huge fan of Mahler. He has tried and tried to get to me to understand Mahler's music over the course of these seven years and, while I did enjoy the music, it just didn't hit me in the same way other composers I loved had done previously. Within these seven years many events have happened to me and my family: my own dad's medical diagnosis ( he has Iga Nephropathy aka Berger's Disease), a falling out with my brother and grandfather, death of an uncle, and my hospitalization (due to a kidney stone), but when I returned to Mahler over the course of each of these events, it's as if the music completely opened up to me anew and I was hearing this composer's soul speak directly to me. I finally felt this music and the glorious emotional power it has over me is beyond words. I suppose this is me saying, in my own rambling way, that it took me this long to understand Mahler, but I never gave up on him because I knew there was something there in his music that I would, over time, find completely compelling, and, most of all, human. Where has Mahler's music been all of my life? Patiently waiting around that musical corner. I may not be the greatest Mahlerian here right now, but give me time and I may very well be. ;D

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 29, 2016, 07:11:56 AM
Living With Mahler: A Few Thoughts

I thought I would post a few thoughts here since I've had such a strong Mahler resurgence happen in my life. Over the past seven years, Mahler's music has been in and out of my life. My dad, as I've mentioned many times in my posting past, is huge fan of Mahler. He has tried and tried to get to me to understand Mahler's music over the course of these seven years and, while I did enjoy the music, it just didn't hit me in the same way other composers I loved had done previously. Within these seven years many events have happened to me and my family: my own dad's medical diagnosis ( he has Iga Nephropathy aka Berger's Disease), a falling out with my brother and grandfather, death of an uncle, and my hospitalization (due to a kidney stone), but when I returned to Mahler over the course of each of these events, it's as if the music completely opened up to me anew and I was hearing this composer's soul speak directly to me. I finally felt this music and the glorious emotional power it has over me is beyond words. I suppose this is me saying, in my own rambling way, that it took me this long to understand Mahler, but I never gave up on him because I knew there was something there in his music that I would, over time, find completely compelling, and, most of all, human. Where has Mahler's music been all of my life? Patiently waiting around that musical corner. I may not be the greatest Mahlerian here right now, but give me time and I may very well be. ;D

I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances that led you to Mahler, but there's always room under the tent for another person.

As for becoming the biggest Mahlerian, though...you still have to read this first (not my photo):
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2016, 07:28:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances that led you to Mahler, but there's always room under the tent for another person.

As for becoming the biggest Mahlerian, though...you still have to read this first (not my photo):

Thanks, Mahlerian. Of course, I was just joking around about being the greatest Mahlerian here. It's not a competition. Those Oxford books look rather interesting. I own this Mahler photo album that I'm going to read through today:

[asin]0810998335[/asin]

GioCar

The truth is that Henry-Louis de La Grange is the greatest Mahlerian of all.
Even the cat seems to agree... :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2016, 07:28:03 AM

I'm still in the running then  ;) ;D

My photo, my books (Edit: updated the photo)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: GioCar on October 29, 2016, 08:03:08 AM
The truth is that Henry-Louis de La Grange is the greatest Mahlerian of all.
Even the cat seems to agree... :D

As do the boys and me

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Okay Mahlerians. Rather than re-read 180+ pages, I would appreciate recommendations for:

Das Klagende Lied

The 14 Lieder "aus der Jugendzeit"

Symphony No.1

(for the Symphonies I might still just go ahead and buy a box, either Bernstein or Kubelik, but humour me right now).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kishnevi

Quote from: ørfeo on October 29, 2016, 05:56:09 PM
Okay Mahlerians. Rather than re-read 180+ pages, I would appreciate recommendations for:

Das Klagende Lied

Symphony No.1

(for the Symphonies I might still just go ahead and buy a box, either Bernstein or Kubelik, but humour me right now).

In order:

Chailly

Doesn't really matter. The only recordings I have of those lieder are in the EMI Complete and DG Complete boxsets.

James Judd/Florida Philharmonic (okay , it's my Florida bias showing, but the FP has been out of business for years now). Or at least one with the Blumine movement attached.

For a full cycle, of the two you mention, Kubelik. Bernstein should be one's second cycle.

Jay F

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2016, 07:28:03 AMAs for becoming the biggest Mahlerian, though...you still have to read this first (not my photo):

I had that mug, two cats and one dog ago.

Mahlerian

Quote from: ørfeo on October 29, 2016, 05:56:09 PM

Das Klagende Lied

Symphony No.1

For Das klagende Lied, Chailly is definitely a fine option, though any Mahlerian should eventually hear his original thoughts as well.  They've only been recorded twice, on a disc by Nagano (which I haven't heard) and Jurowski, on DVD:

For the early songs, I recommend Hampson.  Some of the songs are orchestrated by Berio, who takes his cues from Mahler's own scorings in many cases:

As for Symphony No. 1?  There are lots of great recordings.  It's the symphony that even those who don't otherwise "get" Mahler can get right.  Kubelik is always a good bet here though.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 29, 2016, 12:07:28 PM
I'm still in the running then  ;) ;D

My photo, my books (Edit: updated the photo)

Ah, I don't own the set.  Alas, I only read it.  At another forum that made me the greatest Mahlerian by default.  I defer to you in this matter, then!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ørfeo on October 29, 2016, 05:56:09 PMDas Klagende Lied

For the first version of the work: Pierre Boulez (but Chailly is also brilliant)
For the revised version of the work: Pierre Boulez

Madiel

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2016, 06:52:33 PM
For the early songs, I recommend Hampson.  Some of the songs are orchestrated by Berio, who takes his cues from Mahler's own scorings in many cases:

I saw that disc. I do like Hampson (I have his Mahler with Bernstein, and also have him in Barber). However, the Berio orchestrations are a significant question mark for me.

EDIT: There is a version by Janet Baker and Geoffrey Parsons that might fit my bill...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mahlerian

Quote from: jessop on October 29, 2016, 07:00:29 PM
For the first version of the work: Pierre Boulez (but Chailly is also brilliant)
For the revised version of the work: Pierre Boulez

Boulez didn't record the true first version.  He recorded the original Part 1 together with the revised Parts 2 and 3, as did Chailly and most others.

Mahlerian

Quote from: ørfeo on October 29, 2016, 07:10:37 PM
I saw that disc. I do like Hampson (I have his Mahler with Bernstein, and also have him in Barber). However, the Berio orchestrations are a significant question mark for me.

EDIT: There is a version by Janet Baker and Geoffrey Parsons that might fit my bill...

I wasn't bothered by Berio's work at all.  It doesn't sound quite like Mahler, but it's not especially obtrusive either.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2016, 07:13:52 PM
Boulez didn't record the true first version.  He recorded the original Part 1 together with the revised Parts 2 and 3, as did Chailly and most others.

You pedant :P

I do like the original Part 1, but I don't know the piece well enough to know the difference between the original and revised versions of 2 and 3, thanks for making me aware of this :)

Madiel

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 29, 2016, 06:10:36 PM
James Judd/Florida Philharmonic (okay , it's my Florida bias showing, but the FP has been out of business for years now). Or at least one with the Blumine movement attached.

I'm not sure you're showing that much bias. Reading up on this one for Symphony No.1, and I've spotted quite a few favourable mentions and no negative ones so far.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 29, 2016, 07:35:13 PM
Best conductor of the 20th century: Pierre Boulez?

I think I could stand by that, I have him conducting probably half of my classical CD collection, lol

8)