Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingsor

Thank you for that link, more Mahler on video  is always welcome

Opus106

Tonight's listening will be the Second (Chailly LGO) from the Festival.
Regards,
Navneeth

klingsor

I just watched the M10 with MDR Sinfonieorchester and Märkl -- a super performance, highly recommended. By all means watch or download it

klingsor

NEW PBS DOCUMENTARY on MAHLER

Info and watch a brief making-of docu here:

http://blogs.praguepost.com/music/2011/05/23/mahler/

ibanezmonster

Quote from: klingsor on May 24, 2011, 08:27:56 AM

NEW PBS DOCUMENTARY on MAHLER

Info and watch a brief making-of docu here:

http://blogs.praguepost.com/music/2011/05/23/mahler/
Nice! Can't wait to watch this one.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

klingsor

Quote from: jlaurson on May 24, 2011, 09:25:46 AM
Mahler in Leipzig

Here from Night No.5:

Mahler Festival Leipzig: Luisi - Concertgebouw - Das Lied von der Erde

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/05/mahler-festival-leipzig-luisi.html

Enjoying your reviews. I have been watching the online versions. In the case of Das Lied, the singers' microphones eliminate the problem of balance with the orchestra. The tenor is especially impressive here. I hear this as a fine interpretation of a work that seems to be lucky in its performance history. (I'll be hearing the Abbado Berlin with Kaufmann and van Otter in the coming days.)

I also noted some flubs in the Salonen M3. The young man on solo trumpet could not hide a grimace after one especially notable one. I would say this is an efficient, mostly well-played M3, with only the posthorn solo, mezzo-soprano, and choruses as standouts. Salonen is not my favorite Mahler conductor. He seems too matter-of-fact, the somewhat blasé expression on his face doesn't help when you see it so often. I kept wishing they'd show a lot less of him and more of the orchestra.

In M10, the strings of the MDR really impressed me and I was nearly overwhelmed by the the great Adagio. Märkl really plumbs some Mahlerian depths there, and later in the symphony. While it may not have been a perfectly played concert, I came away feeling very convinced by this work (first time I see any performance of it).

I have yet to hear the M7, 2, 1, and 5 from this series. Your comments on the M7 have piqued my interest especially in that one.

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on May 25, 2011, 03:25:29 AM
Mahler in Leipzig

Here from Night No.6:

Mahler Festival Leipzig: Gergiev - LSO - First Symphony

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/05/mahler-festival-leipzig-gergiev-lso.html

(the nadir.)

Maybe it's different performances, or simply different ears on different heads, but  I found the performance of the 10th Adagio that fills out Gergiev's recording of the 2nd to be an excellent one--perhaps the best I've heard yet of the movement in isolation.  Certainly better than the 2nd.   And while I wouldn't call it the best recording of the 1st, I think the LSO Live recording of that symphony is above average.    That recording of the 5th, OTOH,  seems fairly mainstream to me--not a bad one by any means,but nothing to get excited over, and every time I've played it, I keep wondering "Okay, what did Jens hear that I'm not hearing?"

jlaurson

Quote from: kishnevi on May 25, 2011, 06:56:30 AM
Maybe it's different performances, or simply different ears on different heads, but  I found the performance of the 10th Adagio that fills out Gergiev's recording of the 2nd to be an excellent one--perhaps the best I've heard yet of the movement in isolation.

Hmm... I have to listen to it; after this Adagio I can't even imagine he *could* do a good Adagio.

QuoteCertainly better than the 2nd.   And while I wouldn't call it the best recording of the 1st, I think the LSO Live recording of that symphony is above average.    That recording of the 5th, OTOH,  seems fairly mainstream to me--not a bad one by any means,but nothing to get excited over, and every time I've played it, I keep wondering "Okay, what did Jens hear that I'm not hearing?"

"Not bad" is indeed some achievement in my view of Gergiev's Mahler.  ;) I think it's "mainstream ++". It has grip and it doesn't slacken. That puts it above many other M5s and in a category with Jaap van Zweden / LPO et al. Perhaps a touch grit added (so absent in the First).

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on May 25, 2011, 07:06:00 AM
Hmm... I have to listen to it; after this Adagio I can't even imagine he *could* do a good Adagio.

I'd encourage you.  But bear in mind that I seem to have a better opinion of his Mahler than you do--I particularly like the 3rd and 6th, and the 7th close behind; the only one I don't really like at all is the 4th.

Brian

Just saw seven songs excerpted from Des Knaben Wunderhorn by Hanno Muller-Brachmann, LPO, Jurowski. Terrific! I've been having a very hard time relating to much in Mahler's symphonies, but the wit, emotional immediacy, amazing orchestration, and no doubt the brevity of the lieder were very appealing to me. The lack of overbearing angst and self-absorption reminded me of snatches of Symphony 1 but no other Mahler symphony I've heard so far. Terrific stuff; I could have easily listened to the whole song cycle. Is this the Mahler breakthrough I'm looking for? What symphony should I tackle next?

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2011, 01:49:07 PM
Just saw seven songs excerpted from Des Knaben Wunderhorn by Hanno Muller-Brachmann, LPO, Jurowski. Terrific! I've been having a very hard time relating to much in Mahler's symphonies, but the wit, emotional immediacy, amazing orchestration, and no doubt the brevity of the lieder were very appealing to me. The lack of overbearing angst and self-absorption reminded me of snatches of Symphony 1 but no other Mahler symphony I've heard so far. Terrific stuff; I could have easily listened to the whole song cycle. Is this the Mahler breakthrough I'm looking for? What symphony should I tackle next?

There is no (or only a little) "overbearing angst and self-absorption" in the Fourth and the Ninth Symphonies. Symphonies 1 through 4 are the "Wunderhorn" Symphonies; drawing on themes from that (non-) cycle*... Three is a strange beast for a newcomer.... though the last movement has what it takes to squeeze tears from a stone. Second is grand, bordering pompous... the First tempestuous, wild; the Fourth (relatively) serene.

(* The only Song Cycle Mahler declared a cycle and wanted it performed as such are the Kindertotenlieder.)

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on May 28, 2011, 02:04:04 PM
There is no (or only a little) "overbearing angst and self-absorption" in the Fourth and the Ninth Symphonies. Symphonies 1 through 4 are the "Wunderhorn" Symphonies; drawing on themes from that (non-) cycle*... Three is a strange beast for a newcomer.... though the last movement has what it takes to squeeze tears from a stone. Second is grand, bordering pompous... the First tempestuous, wild; the Fourth (relatively) serene.

(* The only Song Cycle Mahler declared a cycle and wanted it performed as such are the Kindertotenlieder.)

Thanks, sir! 1 is an old friend; 2 drives me up the wall until that glorious finish. I will definitely try No 4 now, and am attending a performance of No 3 live in Warsaw (WPO/Wit) in two weeks, so we'll see how that turns out.

By the way, the baritone was supposed to be Christian Gerhaher, whom I'd hyped up to my visiting and attending father, but Gerhaher was indisposed and Muller-Brachmann jumped quite admirably into the breach.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2011, 02:46:41 PM
Thanks, sir! 1 is an old friend; 2 drives me up the wall until that glorious finish. I will definitely try No 4 now, and am attending a performance of No 3 live in Warsaw (WPO/Wit) in two weeks, so we'll see how that turns out.

By the way, the baritone was supposed to be Christian Gerhaher, whom I'd hyped up to my visiting and attending father, but Gerhaher was indisposed and Muller-Brachmann jumped quite admirably into the breach.

Obviously I think Gerhaher is the bee's knees and then some (see the most recent WETA column), but Mueller Brachmann is really fine. A different style baritone; somber... Reminds me of Fischer-Dieskau minus the manneredness.
Have fun with the Third.