Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

Many thanks for the review and information Mike.

The button has been pressed

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Que

Quote from: jlaurson on October 05, 2013, 02:21:02 PM

Gustav Mahler
Music of Gustav Mahler from between 1903 and 1940
Urlicht AudioVisual

German link - UK link
Not available in the US, currently.

The Mahler box, it is said, has distinct sonic improvements on all previous versions, includes material previously unavailable, brings together a comprehensive and complete collection from the period and backs it up with uniquely extensive notes by Sybil Werner. Curiously not distributed in Germany yet, as distributor claims insufficient interest.

Great, thanks. :) I am into old fashioned Mahler so this might just be the thing for me. 8)

It took me consirable trouble to find a listing of the content, but I found it at MDT.

I noted that the 4th by Mengelberg and the RCO is not included, which is fine by me - I already got that covered.

Q

Brahmsian

First listen to this magnificent performance!  Love that final movement, especially.  :)

Das Lied von der Erde

Christa Ludwig, contralto
Fritz Wunderlich, tenor

Otto Klemperer
New Philharmonia Orchestra

Recording:  Studio - 1964

EMI Classics

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

Brahmsian

First listen to this performance.  Good performance, I did enjoy.  :)

Symphony No. 9 in D

Sir John Barbirolli
Berliner Philharmoniker

EMI Classics

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

Brahmsian

I think I can safely say that both Mahler's 6th and 7th are my equal favourite Mahler symphonies!

Listening to the 7th right now.   Ahhhh, yes!  Nachtmusik II - will you marry me?   :D

[asin]B00000C2KM[/asin]

Leo K.

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 23, 2013, 02:54:05 PM
First listen to this performance.  Good performance, I did enjoy.  :)

Symphony No. 9 in D

Sir John Barbirolli
Berliner Philharmoniker

EMI Classics

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

The particular recording has grown on me for over twenty years, and it only gets better as I listen.

Cato

Quote from: Leo K. on November 27, 2013, 10:34:19 AM
The particular recording (Barbirolli/Ninth Symphony) has grown on me for over twenty years, and it only gets better as I listen.

Barbirolli had his defects now and then, but lack of passion or insight into the music...never!  Yes, a most excellent performance.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

The particular recording has grown on me for over twenty years, and it only gets better as I listen.

Welcome back, Leo! Long time, no see!

knight66

It is my touchstone for the work and i find myself almost groaning over the opening minutes.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Steve Nash

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2013, 02:28:11 AM
Great, thanks. :) I am into old fashioned Mahler so this might just be the thing for me. 8)

It took me consirable trouble to find a listing of the content, but I found it at MDT.

I noted that the 4th by Mengelberg and the RCO is not included, which is fine by me - I already got that covered.

Q

That one was first released on LP, not 78s, so it didn't qualify...

FWIW the US distributor is nearly out and most European distributors are low on stock. And, of course, it's still not distributed in Germany, so your best bet to get it is MDT or Presto Classical. I got mine at Harold Moore's on a trip to London a couple of months ago. It's a really terrific set.

North Star

Quote from: Steve Nash on December 13, 2013, 01:19:09 PM
That one was first released on LP, not 78s, so it didn't qualify...

FWIW the US distributor is nearly out and most European distributors are low on stock. And, of course, it's still not distributed in Germany, so your best bet to get it is MDT or Presto Classical. I got mine at Harold Moore's on a trip to London a couple of months ago. It's a really terrific set.
Welcome to the forum, Steve!
Feel free to post an introduction thread in the appropriate forum. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2013, 05:21:32 PM
Welcome back, Leo! Long time, no see!

Thanks man, good to see you too! Again I was busy this month, but I plan to be around more :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 24, 2013, 04:14:50 PM
I think I can safely say that both Mahler's 6th and 7th are my equal favourite Mahler symphonies!

Listening to the 7th right now.   Ahhhh, yes!  Nachtmusik II - will you marry me?   :D

[asin]B00000C2KM[/asin]

Same, Ray! Tennstedt is just so great here as well. The live performances are out of this world..! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 24, 2013, 06:56:54 AM
Same, Ray! Tennstedt is just so great here as well. The live performances are out of this world..! :)

Hi Daniel.  This set is all studio recordings.  Equally as delicious!  :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 24, 2013, 06:59:30 AM
Hi Daniel.  This set is all studio recordings.  Equally as delicious!  :)

Ah I see, the studio recordings are indeed great too! Have you heard the live recordings, Ray?
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 24, 2013, 07:00:57 AM
Ah I see, the studio recordings are indeed great too! Have you heard the live recordings, Ray?

Only the 5th live.  I'd say I enjoyed it equally to the studio recording.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 24, 2013, 07:10:49 AM
Only the 5th live.  I'd say I enjoyed it equally to the studio recording.

Fair enough - definitely listen the live 6th, it will blow you away! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Leo K.

I've been on a personal Mahler 8 Fest since the Holidays.

I've revisited the MTT, Wit, and heard the Nott for the first time. I heard the Stenz M8 and immediately enjoyed it. The engineering is top notch, the orchestra and choir soar with lyrical execution, nothing sounds forced. The soloists sound inspired. The orchestra is on fire. It's a direct M8 without sacrificing lyricism and beauty. I also love Gergiev's huge sounding account in St. Paul's Cathedral.

I also acquired some broadcasts, like a Bernstein/NYP broadcast from 1965, will listen soon.

I think my overall favorite M8 is the Wit (the singers are my favorite overall). I still love Inbal's account on the Denon label. And I like the MTT M8 for the CD mastering, a real nice quality recording.