Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

I seem to recall that the development of the thumb as an independent digit was an important step forward in the evolution of the human species. Therefore...
THUMBS UP!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 24, 2018, 05:58:21 AM
The great gain over the past couple of days has been I can pinch between my left index finger and thumb, who knew I could get so excited about such a minor operation?

Let the excitement spread!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

Quote from: Cato on December 24, 2018, 05:12:31 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Karl!

It's easier to quote Cato's coloured Christmas wishes than to make up my own.  :laugh:

All the best in the coming year. May it lead you to full recovery and an overflow of creative juices !

:-*

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 24, 2018, 06:05:21 AM

They've been telling me that musicians as a class recover well from stroke.

Fascinating!

zamyrabyrd

May the Christmas season bring extra healing!

By way of encouragement, a teacher colleague years ago, if this can be believed, when moving a piano, had her left hand caught under its leg. She was told she could never play violin again as this was actual physical trauma. However, with support, prayer and a lot of therapy, she did recover the full use of her hand.

As for strokes, it will be 6 years in January that my husband had one. He was walking around but not very coherent in his speech. I brought him to the ER where he was hospitalized for three days, kept getting blood thinning shots in his bum and was able to return home with a clearer head than when he entered. He will not do anything however to help himself like stopping smoking, which of course constricts blood vessels.

In his case, the indicators were cognitive which has continued until now, shifting all the logistical burdens and duties on me as caretaker, meaning I can't be sick or weak because no one can or will take up the slack. I have however a more than generous amount of spunk and sass, which is really all you need in this world to survive and thrive - willpower.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Florestan

Quote from: Karl HenningThey've been telling me that musicians as a class recover well from stroke.

Well, you owe me the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, so I expect you deliver it before Easter 2019!

Seriously now, Karl, your condition is greatly improved! You're in my daily prayers and thoughts --- and not only mine --- so keep up fighting and winning! I'm sure your best as a composer is yet to come!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Alek Hidell

Continued good wishes from me as well, Karl!

We know you're going to recover - you're not even close to completing your Ninth Symphony yet!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

springrite

They've been telling me that musicians as a class recover well from stroke.

My New Year's Resolution is to start studying to become a musician. Just thought I should make it known...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

The great gain over the past couple of days has been I can pinch between my left index finger and thumb, who knew I could get so excited about such a minor operation?

Excellent! All the best from here Karl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Ideas have come to me for the second movement of the band symphony
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

See ? The creative juices have started flowing !  8)

Karl Henning

Balance and mobility wax ever stronger. In fact my therapist & I kicked a ball back and forth this morning. Hadn't done that since I was a teenager.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Cato

Karl's wife, Maria Bablyak, is willing to take offers on her paintings to raise funds for his recovery: if you are in the market for some marvelous artworks, please consider e.g.:

See:

https://www.facebook.com/maria.bablyak/posts/10155951703658715