Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2010, 07:50:27 AM
Maiden Listen Monday

HENNING | Viola Sonata
Dana Huyge, viola
Carolyn Ray, piano

From the composer's "Minnesota period"...

In the sense that It Contains All Things, yes, I did write the piece in the Shed . . . .

DavidW

You can lose your sanity in Dave's shed.  Don't stay too long. ;D

DavidW

Quote from: George on October 18, 2010, 08:12:59 AM
I'd love the m4a (for all movements) as well. I am a lossless guy.  :)

It's not lossless, it's 256k vbr. ;D

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2010, 07:59:51 AM
In the sense that It Contains All Things, yes, I did write the piece in the Shed . . . .

This should put any doubting Thomas'es on The Shed thread to bed once and for all.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on October 18, 2010, 08:12:59 AM
I'd love the m4a (for all movements) as well. I am a lossless guy.  :)

Sent, George; let me know if the three messages land!

karlhenning

I am to play a half-hour's recital next Tuesday at King's Chapel . . . and I really ought to get the music to the organist . . . .

Maciek

Karl, it's an absolutely wonderful piece! And there is, at least to my ears, such an uncanny Beethovenian feeling of authority to it. It's very powerful. There's a sort of sense of certainty. And... Oh, dear, this is becoming ever more vague with each sentence. I can't really explain what I mean, but "Beethovenian authority" seems to be the right phrase. ;D And to put it shortly: I like the Viola Sonata very much. (And yes, I'll be carrying it around on my iAudio too.)

Philoctetes

Dude, that piece is fucking sick. Dana rocked out.  8)

DavidW

I'm going to use Karl's funky face protrait (from his blog) for the album art. :)

Philoctetes

Now we just need a cd release, and I'll set my phaser to buy.
;D

DavidW

I listened to the work again.  Wow that Suspension Bridge movement is so moving.  I got tears in my eyes, how unmanly.  Bravo Karl!  Bravo!

karlhenning

Szykneij

I was enjoying your viola sonata the other night, Karl, and my wife commented favorably on it from the other room. I can only imagine how brilliant it sounds with the resonance and warmth of a real viola.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

I think we crossed, Tony! I PM'd a link to this post, in which Luke kindly furnishes link to the upload of the live performance.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2010, 09:40:08 AM
I am to play a half-hour's recital next Tuesday at King's Chapel . . . and I really ought to get the music to the organist . . . .

Found the music, will print out and pass on to the organist at lunchtime.

And now . . . I need to get practicing, of course . . . .

karlhenning

Did anyone else hear a mosquito?

MN Dave

Saul, go away.

Karl, I will get to your music but I've been super-busy. Trying to clean up some writing for publication.

Philoctetes

Quote from: MN Dave on October 19, 2010, 05:06:49 AM
Saul, go away.

Karl, I will get to your music but I've been super-busy. Trying to clean up some writing for publication.

Well that's an awesome reason to be lax with your ears, but his Viola Sonata is quite a work, when you do get to it. I was quite impressed with it. (Although, that just comes from my bias in regards to 'internet' composer.)

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on October 19, 2010, 05:06:49 AM
Saul, go away.

Understood. Work well!

karlhenning

Quote from: Sforzando on October 18, 2010, 04:31:47 PM
[...]

(4) Because, speaking as a person with some musical education, I find work that is shoddy and amateurish to be offensive, the more so when the perpetrator clearly regards his productions as finished compositions deserving only of the highest praise. Am I under some kind of restraining order here where I cannot speak my mind? The fact is that I have frequently pulled my punches here and spoken much more mildly than I could have, under the theory that less is more (see also #1 above). But if a person presents their work on this forum, they have to be prepared for reactions both good and bad, and to learn how to accept criticism with good grace.

Excellent post.