New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Todd on December 09, 2014, 11:32:40 AM

Interesting. Venias seems to be some new historical label. They've just released five more similar sets: Cluytens, Kempe, Francois, Beecham and Bohm. The question now is what kind of historical label are they, smash and grab of Documents type or something more serious? There is very little info on the boxes so far.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/adv_1/labelcode_VENIS/

André

I clicked and clicked on the Böhm box set and there appeared paragraphs of japanese characters through which the names Philips, Decca and DG sprang out. So, I guess this is is an outfit that specializes in reissuing  expired copyright discs.

With or without remastering. Zzzat is zze question...

kishnevi

I tried Google Chrome translate, but I am not sure if that really helped.  The beginning:
Karl Böhm is, 15 Disc box that collects the sound source that session recording through stereo initial from monaural late stage, appeared from the new label of historical system "VENIAS (Vu~eniasu)". [VENIAS / Vu~eniasu label] of this label policy, but that it boxed at a low price as easily enjoy the unique performance of yesteryear, with regard to sound, is not carried out excessive noise cut and high-frequency emphasis to, it is that to make as much as possible enjoy the original sound. [First edition Karl Boehm] first installment Austrian name conductor, Karl Böhm [1894-1981] from 1951 a collection of recordings of 1963.  Capture the music of Boehm late middle age, DECCA, PHILIPS, each sound source by DG is ordered in combination with those close of recording time, music of Boehm is, now what trend by the difference of orchestra and label you are or have, making it the easy to understand the point also.  For example, even in the same 1953 recording, the Vienna Philharmonic and Beethoven No. 8 of a curved a meek, of the personality, such as Beethoven No. 5 of the Berlin Philharmonic has become music to a linear and tension difference Rekizen is. Below, I'll try grouped by orchestra. [Vienna Philharmonic] Weber Overtures (1951) Beethoven Symphony No. 8 (1953) Brahms: Symphony No. 3 (1953) Mozart Symphony No. 34 (1954) Mozart Symphony No. 38 "Prague" ( 1954) , Schubert Symphony No. 5 (1954) , Schubert Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished" (1954)  only all Musik but is monaural recording of Blow-in Saar, the Decca at the time was already singing the hi-fi recording by ffrr method to, raw sound by near the eye of Mike position is, I would have told well the unique sound of the old days of the Vienna Philharmonic.  Playing too? Personality at the time of the Vienna Philharmonic, has become some of the graceful charm with taste.

Daverz

Quote from: André on December 10, 2014, 04:30:23 PM
I clicked and clicked on the Böhm box set and there appeared paragraphs of japanese characters through which the names Philips, Decca and DG sprang out. So, I guess this is is an outfit that specializes in reissuing  expired copyright discs.

With or without remastering. Zzzat is zze question...

Likely transfers from Lp.

The new erato

They've finally come to their senses and released the Gal symphonies divorced from their Schumann couplings:

Now I'm a buyer!

Daverz

Quote from: The new erato on December 11, 2014, 12:28:46 PM
They've finally come to their senses and released the Gal symphonies divorced from their Schumann couplings:

I liked some of the Schumann recordings, but, yeah, that was a dopey idea.

Cosi bel do

There's a big upcoming box on DG with supposedly all Boulez's recordings of 20th century music (on DG and other Universal labels).

44 CDs, no price  announced yet, but tracklist is on Amazon (.fr at least). And an easier list of works from here.

QuoteBartok: 4 Stücke für Orchester; Konzert für Orchester; Tanzsuite; 2 Bilder op. 10; Ungarische Skizzen; Divertimento für Streicher; Der wunderbare Mandarin op. 19; Musik für Saiteninstrumente, Schlagzeug, Celesta; Cantata profana; Der hölzerne Prinz; Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-3; Konzert für 2 Klaviere, Percussion, Orchester; Violinkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Violakonzert; Rhapsodien Nr. 1 & 2; Herzog Blaubarts Burg
+Berg: Kammerkonzert für Klavier, Violine, 13 Bläser; Lulu-Suite; Lulu (Gesamtaufnahme)
+Birtwistle: Theseus Game; Earth Dances; Secret Theatre; Tragoedia; 5 Distances; 3 Settings of Celan; The Triumph of Time
+Boulez: Notations für Klavier; Structures für 2 Klaviere; ...explosante-fixe; Le Marteau sans maitre; Derives 1 & 2; Pli selon Pli; Repons; Dialogue de l'ombre double; Sur Incises; Messagesquisse
+Debussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune; Images; Printemps; Nocturnes Nr. 1-3; Rhapsodie Nr. 1 für Klarinette & Orchester; Jeux; La Mer; Danses für Harfe & Orchester; 5 Poemes de Charles Baudelaire; 3 Ballades de François Villon
+Ligeti: Kammerkonzert für 13 Instrumentalisten; Ramifications für Streichorchster & 12 Solostreicher; Aventures für 3 Sänger & 7 Instrumentalisten; Nouvelles Aventures für 3 Sänger & 7 Instrumentalisten; Klavierkonzert; Cellokonzert
+Messiaen: Poemes pour mi; Le Reveil des oiseaux; Sept Haikai; Chronochromie; La Ville d'en haut; Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum
+Ravel: Ma mere l'oye; Une Barque sur l'ocean; Alborada del gracioso; Rapsodie espagnole; Bolero; Daphnis et Chloe; La Valse; Klavierkonzert G-Dur;
Valses nobles et sentimentales; Klavierkonzert für die linke Hand; Sheherazade; Le Tombeau de Couperin; Pavane; Menuet antique
+Schönberg: Pelleas und Melisande op. 5; Klavierkonzert op. 42; Pierrot Lunaire op. 21; Herzgewächse op. 20; Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte op. 41; Moses und Aron (Gesamtaufnahme)
+Strawinsky: Le Chant du rossignol; L'Histoire du Soldat-Suite; Scherzo fantastique; Le Roi des etoiles; The Firebird; Fireworks; 4 Etüden für Orchester; Petruschka (Originalfassung 1911); Le Sacre du Printemps; Psalmensymphonie; Symphonie in 3 Sätzen; Symphonie für Bläser; Ebony Concerto; 3 Stücke für Klarinette solo; Concertino für Streichquartett; 8 Miniaturen; Konzert Es-Dur für Kammerorchester "Dumbarton Oaks"; Elegie für Viola solo; Epitaphium; Doppelkanon für Streichquartett; Lieder
+Szymanowski: Violinkonzert Nr. 1; Symphonie Nr. 3 "Lied der Nacht"
+Varese: Ameriques; Arcana; Deserts; Ionisation
+Webern: Passacaglia für Orchester op. 1; 5 Sätze op. 5 (Orchesterversion); 6 Stücke für Orchester op. 6; Im Sommerwind; Fuga (Ricercata); Deutsche Tänze; Symphonie op. 21; Kantaten Nr. 1 & 2; 3 Lieder; Das Augenlicht op. 26; Variationen op. 30; 5 Stücke für Orchester; Lieder und Chöre; Klavierquintett;
Entflieht auf leichten Kähnen op. 2; 2 Lieder op. 8; 5 Stücke für Orchester op. 10;
4 Lieder op. 13; 6 Lieder op. 14; Geistliche Lieder op. 15; 5 Kanons op. 16; 2 Traditionelle Reime op. 17; 3 Lieder op. 8; 2 Lieder op. 19; Quartett op. 22; Konzert op. 24

The really brilliant idea would have been to include the Adès recordings but they are left out somewhere in Universal vaults.

Still a must-have though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 11, 2014, 12:28:46 PM

Now I'm a buyer!

Interesting. I've heard of Gal before. How would you describe his style?

ritter

Quote from: Discobolus on December 11, 2014, 04:22:46 PM

The really brilliant idea would have been to include the Adès recordings but they are left out somewhere in Universal vaults.

Still a must-have though.
Agreed...the Les Noces, the first Sacre with the ORTF (both long OOP), some of the Domaine Musical stuff that didn't make it  to the two Accord sets, ... Well, let's see if Universal issues an "Early Recordings" album (which could also include the incidental music to Milhaud's Cristophe Colomb issued on vinyl by Decca, the first Water Music form The Hague, the Mozart Piano concertos with Loriod, the CPE Bach concertos, and, and  ;) )...

Que

Interesting for resident HIPpies.... :D

Does anyone know the performer?

Q

Peter Power Pop

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2014, 08:25:48 PM
Interesting. I've heard of Gal before. How would you describe his style?
I will know when I have bought it.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 13, 2014, 01:42:37 AM
Nope. But YouTube does...

http://www.youtube.com/v/w-VLJPBDrhQ

http://www.youtube.com/v/01pS249R2Nk

Thanks PPP. I don't think I had ever listened to Kozeluch sonatas. I listened to 3 of them (first on each video plus first on this one) and there are some nice things in this music.
Just unfortunate that it gets to be recorded by such a bad artist. These two videos are excruciatingly laborious and painful. And not on a very good instrument either. Sounds a lot like a midi file. As usual Brilliant goes with the cheaper and faster solution, which is how their catalogue has become so rich in rare repertoire (and actually very often the only way to actually hear so many things).

Brian

Naxos (Grand Piano) is also starting a HIP Kozeluch sonatas series. The first volume was released earlier this year last year. Listen to samples!

There are three volumes out now; samples for Vol. 3.

Wakefield

Quote from: Discobolus on December 13, 2014, 03:15:07 AM
As usual Brilliant goes with the cheaper and faster solution, which is how their catalogue has become so rich in rare repertoire (and actually very often the only way to actually hear so many things).

I consider this statement a common place, unfair and, ultimately, wrong.

There are dozens of disks and complete cycles to prove it, both recorded by them and licensed. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

prémont

As usual Brilliant goes with the cheaper and faster solution, which is how their catalogue has become so rich in rare repertoire (and actually very often the only way to actually hear so many things).

Nothing could be more wrong than this statement. On the contrary Brilliant Classics has since long proven that they possess the ability to find excellent artists for their recordings.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Gordo on December 13, 2014, 07:09:02 AM
I consider this statement a common place, unfair and, ultimately, wrong.

There are dozens of disks and complete cycles to prove it, both recorded by them and licensed.

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 13, 2014, 11:55:51 AM
Nothing could be more wrong than this statement. On the contrary Brilliant Classics has since long proven that they possess the ability to find excellent artists for their recordings.

What you're saying is basically not contradictory to what I'm saying. I said Brilliant records many things depending on the opportunities they find with musicians that cost less and are ready to record large parts of the repertoire. This does not mean they are bad musicians. There are even great musicians that were "found" by producers who made the reputation of their labels on recordings made for a few bucks (I was reading some statements from Wolf Erichson earlier today, precisely about this kind of easy deals).
Now, when considering Brilliant Classics, this has already led to very happy discoveries, like the Frescobaldi and Schütz sets for instance, or many licensed recordings. But it has also given unnecessary or very mediocre recordings. Not everything Brilliant published is good, even if the fact it is rare is sometimes enticing anyway. So, I think the (financial) premise is the same than for many other labels, in particular those specialized in HIP, but the artistic direction is a little less demanding, or selective, well inspired, than in labels currently or formerly artistically managed by figures like Erichson or like Michel Bernstein, Nicolas Bartholomée, Jean-Paul Combet...

Brian

David Hurwitz writes that RCA will be issuing a 10 CD box in March 2015 dedicated to Jean Martinon's Chicago Symphony recordings.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Brian on December 13, 2014, 12:29:28 PM
David Hurwitz writes that RCA will be issuing a 10 CD box in March 2015 dedicated to Jean Martinon's Chicago Symphony recordings.

That's great news, this is one of the things I was waiting for eagerly :D

prémont

Quote from: Discobolus on December 13, 2014, 12:25:58 PM
What you're saying is basically not contradictory to what I'm saying.....

It was this context:

Just unfortunate that it gets to be recorded by such a bad artist. These two videos are excruciatingly laborious and painful. And not on a very good instrument either. Sounds a lot like a midi file. As usual Brilliant goes with the cheaper and faster solution, which is how their catalogue has become so rich in rare repertoire (and actually very often the only way to actually hear so many things).

which let me react in the way, I did, but it seems as if I got you wrong.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.