Author Topic: Glazunov's glass of vodka  (Read 34117 times)

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Glazunov's glass of vodka
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2020, 01:08:09 AM »
Try Svetlanov. You’ll thank me later. ;) :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI</a>

That's my favourite performance of Symphony No.8. That LP was a record library discovery of my youth.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2020, 02:19:04 AM »
That's my favourite performance of Symphony No.8. That LP was a record library discovery of my youth.

I'm slightly confused!  Is this a different performance/recording that is listed as with the USSR SO - I don't remember ever seeing Svetlanov with the Moscow RSO

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Kabalevsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Dvořák, Martinů, Villa-Lobos, Tubin, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Honegger, Walton, Respighi, Casella, Malipiero
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2020, 06:07:43 AM »
I'm slightly confused!  Is this a different performance/recording that is listed as with the USSR SO - I don't remember ever seeing Svetlanov with the Moscow RSO

This is the set I own and it’s a later cycle with the USSR State Symphony Orchestra. The recordings he made with the Moscow Radio SO must be earlier recordings.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Kabalevsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Dvořák, Martinů, Villa-Lobos, Tubin, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Honegger, Walton, Respighi, Casella, Malipiero
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2020, 06:09:45 AM »

Very nice, Jeffrey. I wonder if these earlier recordings are available on CD? I’ll have to check this out.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Dima

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2020, 12:20:34 PM »
Try Svetlanov. You’ll thank me later. ;) :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI</a>
Very good playing. I feel in this symphony a tragedy of great composer who lost inspiration (-Why? -See the name of this topic on forum).
It is very russian story to drunk away its own talant.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
Very good playing. I feel in this symphony a tragedy of great composer who lost inspiration (-Why? -See the name of this topic on forum).
It is very russian story to drunk away its own talant.

Indeed, but we did get some great music out all of this personal turmoil thankfully.

Offline Dima

« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2020, 02:21:54 PM »
Listen to the final part of 3d symphony in its best version in my view by Boris Khaykin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8iaSHqciCo

You will clearly hear future Sibelius music in moments 5.21-5.50 and 10.05-10.30 (they knew each other). I think it is his best symphony from beginning to end.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:34:48 PM by Dima »

Offline Dima

« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
I don't remember if i tell that: Sibelius as a citizen of Russian Imperia was influenced much by russian music of Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Rimskiy-Korsakov and also Arensky. You can listen here how similar Valse Triste of Sibelius and the 7 variation from op.35a of Arensky. I have connected them together: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/vNo5/Z25Pu5Uz5
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:53:35 PM by Dima »

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
I've heard Serebrier and Rozhdestvensky cycles. Both are up the expectations.

What about the Orfeo recordings with Järvi and the Bamberger Symphoniker? Are they good?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2020, 04:19:44 PM »
I've heard Serebrier and Rozhdestvensky cycles. Both are up the expectations.

What about the Orfeo recordings with Järvi and the Bamberger Symphoniker? Are they good?

I prefer Svetlanov to Serebrier even if Serebrier has the better audio quality. There’s something magical about the way Svetlanov conducts that just draws me in. I’d like to hear Rozhdestvensky at some point, but I’m in no dire need as Svetlanov serves me just fine. I’ll have to ask my dad about Järvi --- I think he owns that Bamberger cycle. Järvi and Bamberg are a good combination. I loved his Martinů cycle with them for example.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:05 PM »
I prefer Svetlanov to Serebrier even if Serebrier has the better audio quality. There’s something magical about the way Svetlanov conducts that just draws me in. I’d like to hear Rozhdestvensky at some point, but I’m in no dire need as Svetlanov serves me just fine. I’ll have to ask my dad about Järvi --- I think he owns that Bamberger cycle. Järvi and Bamberg are a good combination. I loved his Martinů cycle with them for example.

I suspect I'll be acquiring the Svetlanov cycle at some moment, albeit I feel that his sometimes slow conducting puts me off a bit.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
I suspect I'll be acquiring the Svetlanov cycle at some moment, albeit I feel that his sometimes slow conducting puts me off a bit.

Hmm...I never heard a really slow performance from Svetlanov. I think, if anything, his performances have an impact that stays with me days after I’ve heard them. I’m surprised he didn’t tackle much of Prokofiev’s or Weinberg’s music. The very thought of him conducting Weinberg’s Symphony No. 5 for example makes me grin from ear to ear. Oh well, we’re served rather well by Kondrashin in this symphony. :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:12:26 PM by Mirror Image »