Author Topic: The Carter Corner  (Read 169659 times)

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
Re: The Carter Corner
« Reply #1500 on: March 01, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
I agree with you. An aspect that also contributes to what I perceive to be a lack of integration between voice and other instruments in some of Carter's vocal works is that the words are so easily discernible, whereas the instruments are experienced with more focus on their sound, rather than the semantic meaning they could refer to.

Nicely put, especially the bit about semantics. For me this seems to be a "Carter problem" specifically - I have no trouble enjoying vocal modernism as embodied in works like Pierrot Lunaire or Wozzeck.

That said, listening to the works did plant the seed of intrigue in my mind, and I'll probably go back and try to figure out what makes them tick.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline greg

« Reply #1501 on: March 21, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »
So, uh...

I was dreaming, but on the verge of waking up this morning. And I asked myself the question, "Is Elliott Carter still alive?" I had completely forgotten whether he was or not, since it had been many years since I even gave his music a thought.

So my mind guessed, "He died in 2012." After waking up, I go on my phone and look up when he died. 2012.

Pretty sure I never explicitly memorized the fact, but heard the news at the time when it happened. So sounds like a hidden fact stored away that somehow popped up, but also my intuition weirds me out sometimes at its accuracy.

Anyways, not really anything about his music, just wanted to share.  :P
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1502 on: March 23, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
So, uh...

I was dreaming, but on the verge of waking up this morning. And I asked myself the question, "Is Elliott Carter still alive?" I had completely forgotten whether he was or not, since it had been many years since I even gave his music a thought.

So my mind guessed, "He died in 2012." After waking up, I go on my phone and look up when he died. 2012.

Pretty sure I never explicitly memorized the fact, but heard the news at the time when it happened. So sounds like a hidden fact stored away that somehow popped up, but also my intuition weirds me out sometimes at its accuracy.

Anyways, not really anything about his music, just wanted to share.  :P

I appreciate this post. My memory does that to me, too.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Ainsi la nuit

« Reply #1503 on: March 24, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
I feel such a powerful connection to Carter's music at the moment. I've gone through most of his works now - not everything is accessible via Spotify, but definitely most of it - and there's just so much to discover in his complete output. The chamber works are intense, witty and acerbic in their expression. I'm currently listening to the Pacifica Quartet's recording of the 1st string quartet and it's just out of this world good! Their recordings might just become my new favourites...

I tend to prefer the later works (an impossibly much-meaning word with this composer...) but I certainly have a soft spot for the "hard core" early Carter as well - and also for the quasi-populist works of his even earlier days. It's just all so well-crafted.

It's sometimes a little hard to articulate what exactly is it about Carter's music that I love so much. But some time ago, as I was listening to the Oboe Concerto, I just had a sudden thought: it tickles my brain in a way that I need and which no other music is able to do. And that's how all music I love works, when I really think about it! When a composer gives me something that I need but can't get elsewhere, they become essential figures in my life. That's certainly happened to Carter - among many, many others of course.